The Walking Dead Forum Facebook
The Walking Dead Forum Twitter
The Walking Dead Google Plus
The Walking Dead Pinterest
The Walking Dead Forum
[rw_990x40]

How will the 2015 spinoff start?

This is a discussion on How will the 2015 spinoff start? within the The Walking Dead TV Predictions forums, part of the The Walking Dead TV Series category. "Hello folks, I just signed up for this board and this is my first post. I apologize in advance if ..."

Walking Dead Forums Weekly Giveaways

How will the 2015 spinoff start?

Hello folks,

I just signed up for this board and this is my first post. I apologize in advance if this has been talked about before but I couldn't find a thread talking about the spinoff (at least not ones that have been commented on recently).

I'm sure you have all already heard that there will be a spinoff/companion series to TWD starting in 2015. The original series started off with Rick waking up in the hospital and the whole world has already gone to hell. So we never really got to see the initial outbreak and the chaos that ensues with it. So I really hope that this new show will go back and cover the start of the outbreak and how people were dealing with it initially. Personally, during zombie movies, my favorite part is always the outbreak part in the beginning, so I really hope that is included. Also, where do you guys think it will be set? New York? West coast? Different country all together? I'm usually not a fan of spinoff shows because they usually just try to capitalize on the success of the originals but I love everything that is zombie and I think this could be a great companion to TWD.

I'm NOT Robert Kirkman... Tony Davis's Avatar
    I'm a Guy I Love Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    We saw it last night... Daryl Dixon, undercover homicide detective

Kills
    I don't think that this "companion series" will ever see the light of day. Maybe it could in the future, but not while TWD is running.

Take a look at other franchises that have companion series and see the result.... CSI and all of it's many incarnations. Law and Order. Star Trek. The industry theme reality shows like Storage Wars.

All of "originals" of those franchises end up getting diluted. It's the same group of hardcore fans that watch them. Some new fans come into the fold, but for the most part, it's the same people watching. Then over time, those fans begin to get bored and they will stick to the original show or they will abandon it for one of it's companions. The end result is that it actually hurts what was otherwise a great concept.

In the case of Star Trek, the original was aired in a total different era of television, so we can't really talk about that. But its "sequel" The Next Generation, was a great show. Then right after that show ended, they came out with Deep Space Nine and Voyager and they were also making movies with the Next Generation cast. There was just too much Star Trek happening in the 90's and it actually started to hurt the franchise a little.

Companion shows and spin-offs are to television what sequels are to the movie industry. Very few of them are as good or better than the original. And in some cases, can actually hurt the original.

If TWD ever has a "companion series", I think they'd have a better shot at making it after the original show ends.

I'm a Gal I Love Spoilers Haven't Read Comics
    Kills
    I seen somewhere that the new spinoff is suppose to start during 2015 and the walking dead still has many more seasons coming. so maybe the spin off will come out after season 5 and but before season 6 of the walking dead. at least that's what im hoping for since it said 2015. I also am not a huge fan of spinoffs but I hope this one will be great and like the webisodes perhaps it will have some connections to ricks life. its a long time to go but I really hope the spin off does take place.

Kills
    I hope it doesn't show the outbreak. What I like about The Walking Dead is that how it began is irrelevant, it's all about dealing with what's left of the world. Showing stuff like the outbreak would kind of damage that, imo.

I'd like to see the spinoff start a few years into the apocalypse. Maybe a bit farther in than where the original is set now.

I suppose I'm not really looking for the reason of the outbreak, but more so for the initial panic and collapse of society. I think that would be pretty cool. Also I think it would be kinda cool if they had the show set on an island like Hawaii or something like that.

Oh and by the way.. I would assume that the spinoff episodes should be shown during the "offseason" for TWD. Perhaps in the summer?

Kills
    Maybe itll be about the Governer like the novels

Quote Originally Posted by Hershell Walker View Post
    I suppose I'm not really looking for the reason of the outbreak, but more so for the initial panic and collapse of society. I think that would be pretty cool. Also I think it would be kinda cool if they had the show set on an island like Hawaii or something like that.

Oh and by the way.. I would assume that the spinoff episodes should be shown during the "offseason" for TWD. Perhaps in the summer?
    If they did the spinoff during the summer, that would be awesome since I get TWD "starved" over the summer!!

Is there a set amount of episodes for the series? Or is it like BSG and Razor? Because I'd really like something that was done like that, I think a one off thing would work more than a whole series. I just can't see how they could make it different enough to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cpump View Post
    Maybe itll be about the Governer like the novels
    From what I've heard, the spinoff isn't going to be a spinoff per say, but more of a stand alone series of its own. Completely different characters, setting etc. There will be no comic book characters in it either. Maybe years down the road the original survivors and the survivors of this new "spinoff" will meet?