The Walking Dead Forum Facebook
The Walking Dead Forum Twitter
The Walking Dead Google Plus
The Walking Dead Pinterest
The Walking Dead Forum

What I learn from TWD

This is a discussion on What I learn from TWD within the The Walking Dead Television Series forums, part of the The Walking Dead TV Series category. "Originally Posted by DalekSec I am not so quick to blame "Greed" as a rule. After all, "Greed" can be ..."

Walking Dead Forums Weekly Giveaways
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm a Guy I Hate Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by DalekSec View Post
    I am not so quick to blame "Greed" as a rule. After all, "Greed" can be said to have led us to higher food, energy and goods production that, has in turn, led to a point in history where, liberty is enjoyed by more individuals than ever before. We can not, for instance, condemn the "Robber Barons" of the late 1800's for all of our ills without admitting that, had it not been for them, we would not have enjoyed the booms in the U.S. that gave us our golden age during the 20th C.

IMHO, more a matter of the logical if, unintended consequences of both advancement in all field of science and development. And old saying in England when I was a lad was "God hate the English for giving soap to India". Admittedly a racially charged observation (this was long ago) but consider. As the West introduced higher standards of hygiene, and medical care, the population of India boomed. As it did so, hunger, over crowding and many social ills, arose.
    Point well taken. Sometimes I have to remember to whom I am speaking. While I agree with your statement, the greed to which I was referring to is that which comes from the distribution of goods.

Anyway get a load of this...

According to the EPA, the main goal of the challenge is to reduce 33 million tons of food waste the U.S. sends to landfills each year.
    http://www.theaggie.org/2012/11/29/u...ce-food-waste/

That is just a mind boggling amount of food to me.

P.S. Without the Robber Barons, we may not have had the likes of Robert E. Howard. *chuckles*

I'm a Guy
    Kills
    Precisely my point.

I remind my students often that, thinking in "Shorthand" leads to issues of logic and reason. Yes, for example, the U.S. consumes and wastes a great deal of "food". However, it is hard to dispute that the U.S. sends a great deal of food to those parts of the world that are "In need". At the same time, this well meant charity leads in many cases to farmers, in those areas, losing even more, the financial ability to produce food locally.

It comes back to what we learned as little children. One can not have the good, without the bad and the reverse is just as true.

;)

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by DalekSec View Post
    Precisely my point.

I remind my students often that, thinking in "Shorthand" leads to issues of logic and reason. Yes, for example, the U.S. consumes and wastes a great deal of "food". However, it is hard to dispute that the U.S. sends a great deal of food to those parts of the world that are "In need". At the same time, this well meant charity leads in many cases to farmers, in those areas, losing even more, the financial ability to produce food locally.

It comes back to what we learned as little children. One can not have the good, without the bad and the reverse is just as true.

;)
    One could argue that it is done in the guise of charity, but it's true aim is to create dependence. The greed is that of power obtained through the distribution of goods.

Many times, I would wager, that properly upgraded infrastructure would alleviate some famine problems in certain areas. Saving money in the long term and creating a more self-sustaining people. But why do that? What would "we" gain in doing so?

I'm a Gal I Love Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills

What I learn from TWD

Quote Originally Posted by Duzy View Post
    One could argue that it is done in the guise of charity, but it's true aim is to create dependence. The greed is that of power obtained through the distribution of goods.

Many times, I would wager, that properly upgraded infrastructure would alleviate some famine problems in certain areas. Saving money in the long term and creating a more self-sustaining people. But why do that? What would "we" gain in doing so?
    Farm Bill 2012?

Kills
    More along these lines...

I ate me a nice juicy steak last night and a burger today so... I am not a tree hugger, I own fire arms, hunt, but I do like to think some.

Soulboogie
    I'm a Guy I Love Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills

What I learn from TWD

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    I disagree. It's just a work of fiction. I don't see zombies as ever being a possibility.
    Don't be so literal minded. I see exactly what the OP is saying. I've worked extensively with victims of natural disasters such as the Black Saturday bushfires and the Queensland floods and Hurricane Yasi. The Walking Dead offers many parallels to the situation of people in a natural disaster. How prepared am I? Where would I reach safe ground? Do I abandon my pets or try to take them with me. How do I deal with members of my family who may be disabled or old? How do we deal with conflict in a group trying to survive on the best plan of action? Should we turn left or should we turn right when fleeing?

In the Black Saturday bushfires there were people who abandoned their pets and suffered enormous guilt as a result of it, then there were people who died trying to save their pets. I know of two carloads of people: one carload argued that, even though they were threatened by bushfire right now they knew what they were dealing with and knew the terrain and should hunker down and make the best of it rather than travel into unknown conditions, the second carload thought they should get out of there and take the risk of driving out to possibly better conditions. They agreed to split up. The second carload of people died and the first carload of people survived.

I see heaps of parallels between TWD and how people try to survive in real life emergency conditions.

I'm a Guy
    Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekilla View Post
    Farm Bill 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Duzy View Post

I am...just...

You guys ROCK. Why can't I have students like you in my classes!!

Be it the supposed "Left" with, for example Obamacare, Entitlements, grants or the supposed "Right" with Corporate "Welfare", farm bills and sweet Defense contracts for crap the Pentagon said NO, to... It is ALWAYS about control and manipulation in the guise of "Altruism".

Now you see why I was rolling my eyes all through the last election. LMAO!!!

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by Alina View Post
    Don't be so literal minded.
    Well excuse the hell out of me. The OP mentioned that the ZA could happen at any minute and I disagreed with it. I never said anything about any other disasters...

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    Well excuse the hell out of me.
    OK, I officially excuse the hell out of you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast