There is no Virus

This is a discussion on There is no Virus within the The Walking Dead Television Series forums, part of the The Walking Dead TV Series category. "As we all know Kirkman has stated that he is borrowing many of the rules and traditions established by Romero. ..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm a Guy I Hate Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills

There is no Virus

As we all know Kirkman has stated that he is borrowing many of the rules and traditions established by Romero. One of the few that he has not borrowed is the whole "learning zombie". The main thing he has kept is the lack of explanation of the origins of the Zompocalypse.

"I can't stand this whole--I don't know, sort of an apology or something that they're not dead anymore in most of these films; that they've got a virus or some kind of rage bug. That's almost like they're apologizing. My guys are DEAD, somebody changed the rules and they're coming back to life."
    George Romero (Lost Zombie interview).

The closest we came to a firm understanding was the main group's visit to the cdc. There Jenner gave his explanation of the cause of it all. He said "it could be microbial, viral, parasitic" when another character offered " the wrath of god" he gave that equal potential.
    In the romero movies all anyone can do ( the news, reporters, scientists, characters....and the viewers) is guess.

The whole point is that nobody is supposed to "get it". zombies exist in total contradiction of laws instituted by god and man. THAT is what's scary about zombies. picture a dead body on a table in a room full of scientists analyzing the process of reanimation. and finding nothing. the scientists enraged at the rising corpse because it should not be. a deep recessed part of their brains spasming because of the contradiction of all of the physical laws that they have studied suddenly crumbling to dust in front of them, crying out in denial as the walking horror closes in and devours them as they wail in desperation.

when you try to apply a cause to a corpse rising you cheapen the effect. You are trying to scratch that little itch in the back of your brain that is whispering to you " this can not be, the dead do not rise". You are trying to make yourself comfortable with the idea by assuming that it's a virus.
    I think the cdc thing ( wich was'nt in the comics) was a poorly executed way of stating....IT'S NOT A VIRUS. nobody has any idea what it is. the cdc guy lumped in wrath of god as a possible explanation. for simplicity the writers keep saying it behaves like a virus.

Kills
    I agree. Always felt the same, always will. Unfortunately, as you stated, the CDC episodes and Rick's "We're all infected" line have gone a long way to convincing non traditional fans that it must be a virus of some sort. Then they ultimately move on to talking about a "cure" or "immunity", which I just find preposterous.

28 Days Later(Which is good film) has also gone a long way to convincing modern audiences that it must be a virus. However, they're confusing the living rage victims of that film with the reanimated dead, which are two different ideas all together.

Kills
    there was not one zombie in 28 days. awsome movie. but a zombie movie in atmosphere only. I also blame the walking dead remake. (wich was also awesome) that old lady should have gotten up after being shot. god that pi$$ed me off.

Kills
    28 Days/Weeks were okay, but i've never been a fan of Dawn04. Mainly because it's too fast-paced for the A.D.D. generation and it completely pisses away the opportunity for an epic translation of Romero's original. They missed everything that made Romero's film the classic that it is and why most people still consider it THE zombie movie.

Kills
    My favorite explanation for all the zombie nonsense. suggested by the jamaican guy in day of the dead.

YOU WANT TO PUT SOME KIND OF EXPLANATION...DOWN HERE BEFORE YOU LEAVE? HERE'S ONE AS GOOD AS ANY YOU'RE LIKELY TO FIND. WE'RE BEING PUNISHED BY THE CREATOR. HE VISITED A CURSE ON US...SO WE MAY COULD LOOK AT...WHAT HELL WAS LIKE.
    MAYBE HE DIDN'T WANT TO SEE US BLOW OURSELVES UP... AND PUT A BIG HOLE IN HIS SKY. MAYBE HE JUST WANTED TO SHOW US HE WAS STILL THE BOSS MAN. MAYBE HE FIGURE...WE WAS GETTING TOO BIG FOR OUR BRITCHES...TRYING TO FIGURE HIS SHlT OUT.

Kills
    when your your right. I've never given the whole....we've lost an oppurtunity at quality romero remake thing a good thinking over. I guess that possability has been shat upon.

still there were elements of that flick that were top notch. i love the johnny cash opening.

ive never been a fan of fast zombies.

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullberry View Post
    My favorite explanation for all the zombie nonsense...
    Yeah, I've always loved that monologue from John. Also doctor Logan's in the lab.

However, Doctor Rausch's dialogue in Dawn is probably the best of them all...

The normal question, the first question is always, "Are these cannibals?" No, they are not cannibals. Cannibalism in the true sense of the word implies an intraspecies activity. These creatures cannot be considered human. They prey on humans. They do not prey on each other; that's the difference. They attack and they feed only on warm human flesh. Intelligence? Seemingly little or no reasoning ability, but basic skills remain a more... remembered behaviours of ah, normal life. There are reports of these creatures using tools. But even these actions are the most primitive; the use of tools as bludgeons and so forth. I might point out that even animals will adopt the use of tools in this manner. These creatures are nothing but pure, motorized instinct. We must not be lulled by the concept that these are our family members or our friends. They are not. They will not respond to such emotions.

Kills
    A zombie "virus" is just as dopey as vampires glittering when the sun hits them.

Kills
    Did you really just relate walking corpses and science?
    Last edited by Bassman; 10-24-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    Did you really just relate walking corpses and science?
    This is the point I've been trying to make but most people can't seem to grasp it. Zombies go against all known science.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast