The Walking Dead Forum Facebook
The Walking Dead Forum Twitter
The Walking Dead Google Plus
The Walking Dead Pinterest
The Walking Dead Forum

Where did the virus come from, how did it start?

This is a discussion on Where did the virus come from, how did it start? within the The Walking Dead Television Series forums, part of the The Walking Dead TV Series category. "The most frustrating thing for me out of all the series so far - especially the first season is that ..."

Walking Dead Forums Weekly Giveaways
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Where did the virus come from, how did it start?

The most frustrating thing for me out of all the series so far - especially the first season is that Rick hasn't even asked how things all went to pot. He hasn't actually asked the question many would like to know - 'what happened?' Sure we have had flashbacks but if you put yourself in Rick's position, he wasn't around, so he actually has no idea what happened, and therefore neither do we.

If I were Rick, the moment I got out of the hospital and saw all the chaos around me I would have asked the first survivor and probably subsequent survivors - 'What the hell happened, how did this all come about?' But he has just accepted it; that walkers roam the earth without asking once how or why, very odd. That would be the burning question on my lips. 'Where did it all start - does anybody know?'
    perhaps they will answer this question later on in other episodes but realistically it should have been the first sentence out of Rick's mouth. You can't just 'skip over' this subject even if the producers don't really have any idea themselves it would be natural for Rick to ask this.

I'm a Guy I Hate Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    Did Rick really need to ask it? Morgan told him about the dead reanimating in the first episode... Rick had seen that first hand, why would he need to question what Morgan said when he saw it himself?

They also had dialog with Jenner at the CDC and Jenner was unable to tell him much about what had happened in the world.

I think at this stage the question on everyone's lips is "How do we survive now?", and quite rightly so.

I get your point that survival is what it is all about in the series but I disagree that you wouldn't really need to ask those questions. For a man who missed it all (and hence the viewers too) they are pretty important questions. Pretty much everyone else saw it happening, news broadcasts, real life events unfold before their eyes etc etc, that must have shed some light on where it came from - even if they where only 'guesses'. Everyone in the group knows more than Rick however no one has mentioned the subject. And let's be honest, as humans it is human nature to discuss tradgedy, so it would be a popular topic around the camp fire for sure. It's odd. Every story must have a foundation, but this one is missing. It's like watching Dallas knowing JR has been shot yet no one asking or caring who did it.

Plus what did Morgan tell him? Not much, just vague stuff, no real answers only that walkers are everywhere and about bites/ fever etc, nothing more. Plus Jenner also wasn't really asked directly 'what happened? How did it start?' I think the wrtiers probably don't have a plausible story or how/ why so have skipped this issue but in my mind it should be an integral part of the story. If you are hoping that somewhere out there is a safe haven, then you must be clued up to some degree as to what you are dealing with.

Kirkman has stated he doesn't want to focus on how the ZA started and it is all about how to survive.

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by RicksRightHand View Post
    I think at this stage the question on everyone's lips is "How do we survive now?", and quite rightly so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenips View Post
    Kirkman has stated he doesn't want to focus on how the ZA started and it is all about how to survive.
    These were going to be my exact response. TWD has never and will never be about how it started or any sort of "virus". It's about survival and that's it.

Yeah I get that the series is about survival but in reality that's not how it would pan out in real life. You would ask that question if you didn't know. A man like Rick wouldn't just shrug his shoulders and go 'ah well, that's life then.'

One thing is writing a story about survival but when you throw zombies into the mix (that don't exist in our universe) it would be an essential topic; you can't avoid that. Shame that they didn't even give it one line of consideration since I think many out there would like to know how simply how it started. We are not talking about making an episode on the subject however if Jenner says everyone is infected, again we have the teaser; 'how?' You can't just throw that in and not answer that question which essentially evokes the response then of: 'If we are all infected, how did it happen?'

And Rick, as a character coming out of a coma, would certainly want to know, whether the writers don't want to mention it or not - it would actually be realistic, Rick would ask that question, fact, as would any one of us. If they even only said the line once in the series that 'no one even knows how it started', that would be correct, issue solved. But to complete ignore the issue - it doesn't work, especially now with Jenner's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead man walking View Post
    Yeah I get that the series is about survival but in reality that's not how it would pan out in real life. You would ask that question if you didn't know. A man like Rick wouldn't just shrug his shoulders and go 'ah well, that's life then.'

One thing is writing a story about survival but when you throw zombies into the mix (that don't exist in our universe) it would be an essential topic; you can't avoid that. Shame that they didn't even give it one line of consideration since I think many out there would like to know how simply how it started. We are not talking about making an episode on the subject however if Jenner says everyone is infected, again we have the teaser; 'how?' You can't just throw that in and not answer that question which essentially evokes the response then of: 'If we are all infected, how did it happen?'

And Rick, as a character coming out of a coma, would certainly want to know, whether the writers don't want to mention it or not - it would actually be realistic, Rick would ask that question, fact, as would any one of us. If they even only said the line once in the series that 'no one even knows how it started', that would be correct, issue solved. But to complete ignore the issue - it doesn't work, especially now with Jenner's comment.
    Well I believe that Kirkman not wanting to discuss it is very prevalent to this and that many of the conversations involving what happened were done off screen. If I remember correctly in episode 1, after one of the commercial breaks it appears that Morgan has been telling Rick what happened.

Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead man walking View Post

But what would be the point in asking for answers that you know you won't get? Morgan basically told Rick it came out of nowhere, news broadcasts saying to evacuate to Atlanta where it would be safe.

Imagine it was real life, we'd get news broadcasts and government announcements just like they did. Whatever the government knew about this "virus" is surely lost now that the government no longer exists. Governments aren't going to panic the public with a full detailed account of what this "virus" is and how it came about. Their sole intention is to get people to where they believe to be safe and quarantine zones that aren't.

I get your point about Rick being in a coma for the start of the outbreak but I don't think that means that everyone else has an upper-hand or a better understanding of what's going on. Everyone else in the group were rushed from their homes or stopped from doing whatever they knew to be as normal just like Rick. The only difference is that they had about a months head start on Rick, they're all as confused and unequipped for this new world as each other.
    Last edited by RicksRightHand; 10-24-2012 at 08:21 AM.

But how do you know you won't get the answers? Just because Morgan didn't have any, doesn't mean some of the other group didn't and doesn't mean Jenner didn't either. No one really has an upperhand, that isn't my point. My point is simply the writers shouldn't have overlooked simple questions that would have been raised if they want to be thoroughly realistic. They spend enough time making general and superfluous chit chat in every episode so it's bizarre not to mention it in more detail. But I get it, the writers didn't bother to even think of how it started - just 'lets make a zombie survival series'.
    The CDC were a big part of a couple of episodes, as I said, Jenner knew everyone is infected, he therefore knew more than most. It would have been a simple question to ask him 'how?'. I would - wouldn't you. Morgan saying 'it came out of nowhere' is vague. All I'm saying is that the natural reaction would be, 'yeah, but what is it, what caused it?' Same with Jenner, he was a scientist working at the CDC (ok his wife wore the trousers) he had contact with other CDCs around the world. The fact that he knows everyone is infected, the fact he chose to tell this to Rick - what's the point?
    Like I said, it's human nature to ask these questions - obviously not now in series 3 but it would have been in the first series for sure.

So like I said, point is they missed the questions that really would have been asked by any man and his dog, even while trying to survive. You would, I would. That's all. Just like little kids ask where fairies or elves come from, those are real questions.

Kills
    Nobody knows how. Not the scientists. Not the doctors. Not the government. Not every day Joe. It came from nowhere and hit hard and fast before anything about the phenomenon could be learned or understood other than if you die you turn, and bites kill your ass. That's it and that's all. If you need more than that then TWD will disappoint. This isn't Resident Evil we're talking about where everything is wrapped in a nice little package. In reality people don't get all the answers.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast