The Walking Dead Forum Facebook
The Walking Dead Forum Twitter
The Walking Dead Google Plus
The Walking Dead Pinterest
The Walking Dead Forum

Why do walkers eat?

This is a discussion on Why do walkers eat? within the Zombie Chatter forums, part of the Zombie World category. "Of course, TWD calls for voluntary suspension of disbelief, to a point, but I've never understood why walkers have such ..."

Walking Dead Forums Weekly Giveaways
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do walkers eat?

Of course, TWD calls for voluntary suspension of disbelief, to a point, but I've never understood why walkers have such an overwhelming desire to eat (eat people, specifically), if their bodies are essentially nonfunctioning. You can put bullets through their heart, lungs, stomach, abdomen... even cut them in half (remember the "crawling half-girl" Rick shot?), and they just keep coming. So why are they so singularly driven towards eating people? Or is this one of those questions you're just not supposed to ask....

Why do Zombies need to feed?

I have been a zombie movie watcher since they made zombie movies but I have to admit I never figure out why they need to eat. They are dead, they cannot digest food, in fact in the first episode of TWD a lady was crawling with no lower torso or internal organs yet she wanted to eat Rick, to what purpose? The internal organs are of little use use as we see when they dont even slow down with 50 bullets to the chest so why eat flesh? If your guts are torn out by zombies and you die you come back as a zombie with no way to digest food but yet you need to feed. I know they need to feed as the episode where Dale bites the big one a zombie was eating a cow. Perhaps since the brain is running on basic instincts feeding is just a natural thing to do with no benefit, to me that makes more sense, just a primal need. Thoughts?

I'm a Guy I Love Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    Because the only thing they have is instinct.

I'm a Guy I Love Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    It is their instinct. The rest of their brain is gone, and they are living off of instinct. And since they don't know right from wrong, they do not know they are not supposed to eat people.

I'm a Gal I Love Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    They have endless amounts of time too.....I think like Hershel's gun, they cheat coded on this, LOL.

As for eating they have their very basic instinct at hand and lots of time to do it, so they can wander off and look for food.

I loved the part in the episode Sunday where they heard the gun shot and the entire herd turned simultaneously toward it and started walking.

I'm a Guy I Hate Spoilers Haven't Read Comics
    Kills
    They need fresh flesh.. Just like hungry animal instinct. That's all, now matter what.

They don't just eat people. These zombies eat everything!! If you have watched Dawn of the Dead you'll notice that they are only interested in humans. My guess is that it's just what's hard wired in us all. It could be whatever it is that makes them undead, the infection. No one will ever know the exact reason why other than they must be hungry.

I'm a Guy I Hate Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    While it's never been covered in TWD, it's most likely the basic instinct to feed. That's how it is in Romero's trilogy and that's where Kirkman got his inspiration.

Here's a clip from Kirkman's favorite movie, Day of the Dead, where Dr. Logan explains their desire to eat(go to 3:08):

To kill the pain...the pain of being dead...

This lead to....

Id zombies are constantly feeding without having an active digestive system, why didn't we bloated one that gouged on people and animals?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast