The Walking Dead Forum Facebook
The Walking Dead Forum Twitter
The Walking Dead Google Plus
The Walking Dead Pinterest
The Walking Dead Forum

Which Actor Should Play Negan on the Show?

This is a discussion on Which Actor Should Play Negan on the Show? within the The Walking Dead Spoilers forums, part of the The Walking Dead TV Series category. "Originally Posted by SMOKELAHOMA good news, CM Punk just quit WWE a couple of days ago. so maybe this is ..."

Walking Dead Forums Weekly Giveaways
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Something Deep And Dark
    I'm a Guy I Love Spoilers Have Read Comics
    Kills
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKELAHOMA View Post
    good news, CM Punk just quit WWE a couple of days ago. so maybe this is now possible? I think it would be a perfect fit.
    At 6'2 he's not quite tall enough IMO..... And more importantly, he doesn't have the acting experience/skills.....not yet anyway. I'm convinced he's going to resign with WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by The1WhoKnocks View Post
    At 6'2 he's not quite tall enough IMO..... And more importantly, he doesn't have the acting experience/skills.....not yet anyway. I'm convinced he's going to resign with WWE.
    ehhh tv can make you taller than you are. and doesnt have the acting skills? that is what a wrestler is, an athlete/actor. he would be perfect for the role. as far as him resigning? Its doubtful, the situation going on with him and WWE right now is very serious. dude is extremely pissed at the company and planned on retiring soon anyway. people like him dont just walk out one day and then decide to go back the next.

he isnt Stone Cold, Punk is a very stubborn guy. if he does return it will be only to get out of the remaining 6 months left on the contract.

Something Deep And Dark
    Kills
    ehhh tv can make you taller than you are. and doesnt have the acting skills? that is what a wrestler is, an athlete/actor. he would be perfect for the role. as far as him resigning? Its doubtful, the situation going on with him and WWE right now is very serious. dude is extremely pissed at the company and planned on retiring soon anyway. people like him dont just walk out one day and then decide to go back the next.

he isnt Stone Cold, Punk is a very stubborn guy. if he does return it will be only to get out of the remaining 6 months left on the contract.
    Professional wrestlers may be able to 'act' in the ring and in simple-minded interview skits, but that hardly qualifies them as legitimate thespians. Now could he, or any other professional wrestler pull off a limited/minor part or cameo, absolutely.... But not a major role as the primary antagonist of arguably the most significant TV Drama currently running. Negan will be played by an experienced, well trained character ACTOR..... Not by a 'Sports Entertainer' with little or no background in professional ACTING.

As far as his recent exit with WWE and whether or not he'll return/re-sign, you're forgetting one major factor when it comes to professional wrestling..... IT'S FAKE. For all we know it's just part of an elaborate storyline..... it is wresting after all. The disgruntled athlete/wrestler who leaves the company act has become fairly routine in the WWE.... It wouldn't be a major shock to anyone if this current scenario with CM Punk is nothing more than that.
    Last edited by The1WhoKnocks; 02-09-2014 at 12:03 PM.

You're forgetting the most important factor when it comes to 'Professional Wresting'...... It's fake. And while professional wrestlers may be able to 'act' in the ring and in simple-minded interview skits, that hardly qualifies them as legitimate thespians. Now could he, or any other professional wrestler pull off a limited/minor part or cameo, absolutely.... But not a major role as the primary antagonist of arguably the most significant TV Drama currently running. Negan will be played by an experienced, well trained character ACTOR..... Not by a 'Sports Entertainer' with little or no background in professional ACTING.

As far as his recent exit with WWE and whether or not he'll return/re-sign.... for all we know it's just part of an elaborate storyline..... it is wresting after all. The disgruntled athlete/wrestler who leaves the company act has become fairly routine in the WWE.... It wouldn't be a major shock to anyone if this current scenario with CM Punk is nothing more than that.
    ok, I have this argument with people all the time considering I am a huge wrestling fan and have watched it for quite some time. I would argue that it isnt exactly fake, I will give you that it is clearly scripted with a predetermined outcome. But let me assure you, many of the moves and things that happen throughout the course of a match are far from fake. The practice of "blading" is outlawed, which you used to see is when a wrestler would be "hit" and fall to the ground while scratching his forehead with a blade therefore causing mass amounts of blood. So anytime you see blood in a match these days, means its completely real and they were actually damaged to the point of bleeding. And let me assure you, it happens more often than not. Also, being thrown through a table is completely real as well as being hit with chairs. Contrary to popular belief those objects are not really tampered with before hand. Also, that mat they wrestle on is plywood and canvas. Not exactly like being slammed on a mattress. It is a tough thing to do and causes plenty of real pain. Anyway, thats neither here nor there in this conversation.

I agree that a wrestler isnt exactly a thespian but acting is acting no matter if its on broadway, big screen or a squared circle. I dont see how its too much different than a broadway show.

Back to the Punk/WWE issue, I follow wrestling heavily. Ive watched it since I was a child and became more privy to the practices and innerworkings of the industry. Myself and many others that watch are savvy to what they call a "work" which is when something happens for a storyline and its presented as a "real life event". Usually with things like this its at least mentioned on air during shows, is sort of played upon and just has a certain feel to it all. In this particular instance, not a word has been said about what happened and they have gone on with shows like he never existed. Also, the WWE higher ups have gone as far as confiscating pro-Punk signs made by fans and have banned media from asking questions to their employees about CM Punk. In things like this in the past, they dont go that far to play up to a storyline. If you have followed this at all you would see red flags that point to this being very real. However, they have fooled us all before and you could be right. I have my doubts as well but lately things are making me thing otherwise.
    Last edited by SMOKELAHOMA; 02-09-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Kills
    I agree that a wrestler isnt exactly a thespian but acting is acting no matter if its on broadway, big screen or a squared circle. I dont see how its too much different than a broadway show.
    Very wrong. There is a HUGE difference between stage and screen acting. AND a megaton of difference between a talented screen/stage actor and a wrestler. It's not even close to the same skill set. It's just not.

Quote Originally Posted by SFA View Post
    Very wrong. There is a HUGE difference between stage and screen acting. AND a megaton of difference between a talented screen/stage actor and a wrestler. It's not even close to the same skill set. It's just not.
    I will give you that there is a diffence between screen and stage. However, I will disagree that there is much difference between a stage actor/wrestler. Maybe a green unexperienced wrestler but I can assure you there are wrestlers who can actually act. Do you guys forget that The Rock is a huge hollywood star these days? Stone Cold has had some success, Batista as well, and many others. There is obviously something to the argument because of that. We can agree to disagree.

Something Deep And Dark
    Kills
    Whether or not this current situation with CM Punk is a 'work' or a genuine parting of the ways, I honestly have no idea.... It's just a hunch on my part that he comes back. And you're right about one thing, this isn't the place to discuss the inner-workings or legitimacy of professional wrestling....

But.....

...REALLY.....???

My contention is that CM Punk, or any other professional wrestler, will NOT play the part of Negan.

Whether or not this current situation with CM Punk is a 'work' or a genuine parting of the ways, I honestly have no idea.... It's just my hunch on my part that he comes back. And you're right about one thing, this isn't the place to discuss the inner-workings or legitimacy of professional wrestling....

But.....

...REALLY.....???

My contention is that CM Punk, or any other professional wrestler, will NOT play the part of Negan.
    yes really. I will back away from the screen/stage thing but the stage/wrestler thing I will not. They are very similar if you think about it. Well at least the good ones anyway that actually get to display their acting chops. Most do not and are simply in-ring workers and nothing more.

Something Deep And Dark
    Kills
    yes really. I will back away from the screen/stage thing but the stage/wrestler thing I will not. They are very similar if you think about it. Well at least the good ones anyway that actually get to display their acting chops. Most do not and are simply in-ring workers and nothing more.
    Stage acting is arguably more difficult than screen acting.... You're definitely entitled to believe whatever you want, but you're going to be hard-pressed to convince anyone credible that professional wrestlers are on par with professional stage actors.... In fact I'm certain that comparison would be highly offensive to any stage actor.

'The Rock' may be a box office star, but his acting skills are at best mediocre. And though I'm a fan, Steve Austin is an atrocious actor.

The best screen performance for a professional wrestler IMO, is Roddy Piper in They Live.... ​a (cult)classic B-Movie.

Stage acting is arguably more difficult than screen acting.... You're definitely entitled to believe whatever you want, but you're going to be hard-pressed to convince anyone credible that professional wrestlers are on par with professional stage actors.... In fact I'm certain that comparison would be highly offensive to any stage actor.

'The Rock' may be a box office star, but his acting skills are at best mediocre. And though I'm a fan, Steve Austin is an atrocious actor.

The best screen performance for a professional wrestler IMO, is Roddy Piper in They Live.... ​a (cult)classic B-Movie.
    very true. stage is alot more difficult than screen. Also, I never said that wrestlers are on par with stage actors. I said they were similar and if you think about it their practices have very many glaring similarities. Anyway, this isnt even about stage acting. This is about whether or not a good sports entertainer such as Punk could pull off a character like Negan which I think he very well could. Thats just based off of his mic and in ring work. Not to mention, he definetly has the look for Negan. I have no idea if he could act on the screen because he has never done it but Im sure he could considering there is editing and multiple takes.

anyway, I enjoy having a debate with people that dont resort to personal insults whenever somebody disagrees. props to you brother.
    Last edited by SMOKELAHOMA; 02-09-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast