Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Here's Negan!

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

the first 4 pages went by faster than Josh can pull his pud!

So, for those who haven't read it, I'll just give a little recap of the first four pages.....

2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I always thought he looked like a baseball umpire or coach. I could see him wearing all the gear, and yelling out in his booming voice "STEEEEE-RIIIIKE!"
    definitely caught me by surprise a bit.

[​IMG]

3. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Dumb question - does it specifically say he is a ping pong coach?

Because from what I've seen/read, he's at his own house (garage, specifically) playing ping pong with the three students and they refer to him as "Coach" or "Coach Negan". That doesn't necessarily mean he's specifically a ping pong coach. He could be, say, their baseball coach, but they just happen to be playing ping pong. Kids are gonna call their coach "coach" regardless of the environment or activity because that's how they're used to addressing him.

Just food for thought.

4. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I thought that too after making my post! I remember that in HS. My algebra teacher was the football coach and all his players called him "coach" in class. Why they would be at his house playing ping pong, i'm not sure :-D

5. LMT

LMT Member

I honestly have been thinking the same thing as well.

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he's probably like the coach of a specific sport, plus the gym teacher. One of the activities they rotate through throughout the year in gym class is probably ping pong. I can't see him going through the Help Wanted section of the paper and coming across 'ping pong coach' specifically. :p.

And he's just the type of guy who would let some of these activities spill over into his private life, thinking he is being the 'cool teacher' that kids hang out with.

7. DragonRacer

More thoughts:

1. Generally, coaches also are teachers, so I wonder if he's specifically a PE teacher or if he actually teaches a subject and is also a coach. If the latter, I'd love to know what subject!

2. They are probably at his house because he's trying to be "the cool teacher", per his own words. I never went to a teacher's house in high school, but it actually happened a LOT in college with my professors. They'd have dinner parties or other social activities that they'd invite some of us to and it was actually really cool. There was especially one math teacher I adored in high school because I hated math, but he made it fun and more understandable. He was also just fun and joking in general - "the cool teacher". If he'd invited some of his students over to his house for ping pong, I'd have been there in a heartbeat! So, actually not that unusual, I think.

3. There had been rumors that Negan was supposedly a used car salesman. I wonder if he ends up losing this teaching/coaching gig due to his mouth (extremely high probability) and ends up falling back on that.

4. I wonder if his wife/girlfriend dies from whatever is going on with this seizure of hers, he loses his job and ends up having to peddle cars (sales is a HIGH STRESS JOB; trust me on this, I know because I'm in it - not cars, though), and then the world ends. Like a perfect storm of the world shitting on Negan, so he decides he's gonna shit back on it (and also not take any more of its shit). And then Lucille is born...

8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Table tennis is a serious sport! But the more i think about it, you're probably right, and he is probably one of those teachers & coaches that hangs out with kids outside of school. We had a couple of those in HS...there was even rumor that one teacher supplied weed. Good ol' public school!

9. DragonRacer

Table tennis actually used to be an Olympic sport at one point in time, if it isn't still. The former publisher of our newspaper (now higher in the corporate food chain) was on the U.S. Olympic table tennis team before. Dude's crazy good and shows off by using just about anything for a paddle (like a shoe, frying pan, etc). He even ended up co-starting an annual table tennis charity event that still happens down here and it is super serious. Current publisher even put a table in our break room because she's determined to have our paper compete better in next year's event.

So, now when I'm not out selling ads, I'm playing ping pong. :p

I ended up laughing pretty damn hard about Negan's ping ping thing because of all that - it's like I can't get away from it! I was like "OF COURSE THIS IS NEGAN'S THING!" LMAO

10. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Oh that's interesting! I love playing ping pong, and sometimes I can actually score a point while playing.

11. DragonRacer

I'm not very good at all. I don't have a strategy or any special moves. I pretty much have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I am apparently incredibly full of pure, blind luck. Because my ad director was being a bit of a big head about being the "undefeated champion" of the advertising department because he'd squashed several of my fellow outside sales reps. I hadn't played him yet so when he asked if anyone would come shoot a quick game with him, I volunteered. We're both Aries, we're both competitive people, so I knew this was about to get very entertaining... so did everyone else, so we ended up with a small crowd down there.

I did not beat him (dammit), but he barely won. Barely. It was neck-and-neck all throughout and I pulled ahead for a bit before he started tripping me up at the end. But I had him scared for a while - he admitted it - and I also kinda accidentally popped him in the crotch with one of my ping pong shots. Twice. Good thing those balls are very light and unoffensive. :zombies_lol:

The features editor in the newsroom FINALLY beat him, so now he's not crowing so much. :p But now we're also annoyed because there's already a natural rivalry between News and Advertising (common newspaper thing), so this did not help much. LOL

Tangentially related to the topic at hand (and a sequel to my comic store adventure story from the TV Negan thread yesterday), I visited the only other comic book store in town and lucked out by finding the last few issues I was missing. So, I am now currently caught up between having the three compendiums and having the single copy issues of # 145 through # 153, plus now I'm subscribed so there will be no more catching up anymore - aside from actually getting the first read-throughs done (currently on compendium two).

Turns out, the lady who runs this particular store is actually a Negan fan. A big fan. Which was absolutely hilarious and ironic because I figured there probably couldn't be any more than one of us loonies in such a small town, but nope, here we are. When she saw me picking out what appeared to be random issues (which was just me filling in the blanks of what the other store didn't have in stock yesterday), it led to me explaining about getting the compendiums and getting hooked and wanting to grab the "missing issues" so that I'd be caught up to everyone else. She asked if the show brought me to the comics and I admitted that it did - same for her, but she'd been reading the comics since Season 2 of the show.

When I admitted that I'd only just started reading the comics and I got them right after the season finale, she seemed a bit shocked. She said something to the effect of, "Oh, wow, so you had never met Negan before you saw him on the show?"

And I said I hadn't, but that it was entirely his fault that I had all the comics now. Because I'd been on the fence for a while about getting them anyway, but his appearance pushed me over the edge into, "Okay, yeah, Momma needs all the comics right now."

Which led the two of us into a conversation that was basically like a real world version of the TV Negan thread currently, only that she's a hardcore fan of comic Negan (although she definitely wasn't complaining about JDM - she's excited) and now she's all excited about me, the "new girl", about to finally "meet" him for the first time. It was so freaking funny. I really was in shock that this was actually happening in real life and now I kinda regret setting up my subscription at the other store, so I dunno, now I might end up with two of the comics each month because I have got to go cluck about Negan with this lady. She was a riot. "Oh, sweetie, he is just something else! I can't even explain, but I just can't wait to see how the show treats him. He is quite the character, that boy" and on and on and on. It was magnificent. You'd have thought he was her son and I'd admitted to a crush and now here she was trying to set us up on a date or something. Really, really wish I had a recording of that entire conversation because it was f*cking comedy gold. :zombies_lol:

Also related, the boy at the other comic store hasn't called me back yet to let me know if he tracked down this month's issue of Image+ so I can have the start of "Here's Negan" in-hand. :( Of course I sign up to a subscription to the damn thing THE DAY AFTER the issue published. *facepalm*

12. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Oh good job on at least giving him a run for his money! (and for putting him in his place with the ball shot lolol) When i was in my 20's, my best friend and her boyfriend at the time had a ping pong table set up in their basement. She and I would volley it back and forth forever just talking and drinking, it wasn't very competitive at all lol. Then her boyfriend who loved to cook would call down the stairs, "dinner's ready!" and we'd set down our paddles and run upstairs. So we joked about how we were basically like his kids, at least in that moment lol.

Oh did you give that lady a link to the Negan thread?? haha that's great. I still haven't made my way into a comic book store yet. I keep meaning to.

13. DragonRacer

It certainly got his attention. :zombies_lol:

And that's a cute story! Ping pong really is fun, although I still prefer billiards when it comes to downtime sports. God, there is nothing better than being in our little smoky dive bar down the road, jukebox playing, whiskey and beer on the table, shooting pool with the hubby and chuckling at the fellas trying to cop a look at your ass or boobs while you're bending over for a shot. Good times. :zombies_lol:

I absolutely intended to tell her about the site and try to get her on here (and also wanted to talk to her about the "Here's Negan!" stuff), but she got a personal call that sounded rather serious (words "emergency room" are never a fun sign), so I thanked her really quickly and cut her loose to deal with whatever drama was happening. :( I'm totally gonna be going back to visit, though, so next time!

14. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Man, I miss that! I love dive bars, even better if they have karaoke (even though i don't sing). My friends and I went to one up north a few weeks ago and it made me realize how much i miss it so. I did shots of fireball for the first time ever (3 of them...), I was hit on by 2 men probably old enough to be my dad (or possibly older), I saw a guy pass out drunk right at his table and get kicked out, and I loved every second! I don't have as much time to do that now since i have an almost 2 year-old. I can't wait until she's old enough to go with me!

As for playing pool - my Dad has always played as a hobby, so he taught me here and there. I'm not excellent, but i'm just good enough to surprise people lol.

15. DragonRacer

The good, sweet Lord has to keep me away from karaoke machines because I will hog them. :zombies_lol:

Shots of Fireball are excellent - they are also dangerous. I'm pretty good about holding my liquor, but I got in trouble doing Fireball shots one time at a UF-LSU game. I made the mistake of trying to be a show-off and keep up with the Louisiana friends I was buying rounds for (they had been so kind to me and my friend when we flew out to their tailgate for our game at their field the year before) - that was dumb on my part. Tiger fans are infamous for both their tailgates and their booze... there was never any hope I'd keep pace with them. Thankfully, I had friends around who took care of my drunk ass and I vaguely recall the stumbling walk to the stadium and the three hours of sobering up during the game, and the embarrassment afterwards of having taken advantage of my friends like that (i.e. having to babysit me). Never again. T'was a reminder why I mix Coke into my rum or whiskey... not to be girly, but to provide just enough non-alcohol with the liquor to not completely blast myself off the planet. :p

Sounds like we're similar pool players - I'm hot and cold. When I'm cold, I'm COLD, but when I'm hot, I can go on a surprising tear. Hubby's a pool shark - I've beaten him maybe once or twice (legitimately, I think). I have much more luck against my dad, who's about average.

Back on topic, I'd kinda like to play ping pong with Negan. And pop him a ball shot, too. I think that'd lead to some interesting times and conversations. :zombies_lol: Also possibly a busted ping pong table afterwards. [​IMG]

16. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

haha, my friends are like you when it comes to karaoke - they are putting themselves on the list before i've even had enough drinks to begin to consider it. So i just cheer them on and get drunk. This last time with the fireball shots, i was surprised how well i did because on top of the 3 shots i also had several vodka & cokes and i think i had a beer to end the night (i always have this brilliant idea that light beer is ok to drink when i'm already drunk because it's so watery). I do not drink like that anymore, so i was surprised i was ok!

I have a certain drink minimum and maximum in order to play pool well. I have to have just enough in me to be relaxed (maybe 2-3 drinks), but if i cross the line into drunkenness i just suck and shouldn't even play at all.

Ahh yes, and i can think of a few fun uses for the paddles too in that scenario! :zombies_blush:

17. Jay Bonansinga

Have not read this yet and i'm sure it's pretty good put part of it sounds kinda corny. It takes a long time for your forearm (not wrist) to get tired from masturbating, i'm talking 3-4 hours maybe more. Lame

Thank You~Jay

18. DragonRacer

Shoving the off-topic into a spoiler out of respect for Neuro. LOL

I am very disappointed in myself for not thinking of the dang ping pong paddles. Wow. I am slacking! :zombies_blush:

19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Now i feel pressured to be polite and put my off topics in spoilers...

20. DragonRacer

So, apparently it's only gonna be 4 pages per month with 48 planned. 44 more to go... so, gonna take a full year to get Negan's complete backstory. Dawned on me just how long that's gonna take. Geez.

I'm immensely spoiled right now, breezing through the compendiums with no excruciating wait between issues. That is gonna be a mighty painful wall once I catch up to everyone else and smack into it face-first. Waaaaaaaaaaahhhh...