Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Fast or slow Zombies

Discussion in 'Zombie Chatter' started by Loc, Dec 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

Over the years we have seen more movies with fast zombies (28 days later series and dawn of the dead remake) I know alot of people hate fast zombie but what do you guys think. which is better, slow or fast zombies? or should they be fast at first then the more their body decays they slow down.

2. John666

John666 Member

I think it depends on the show or movie. Fast zombies are more threatening while slow zombies are more humorous. Shaun of the Dead was perfect with slow zombies, made it funny. Fast zombies are good for intense movies while I think slow ones work good in funny movies.

3. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Fast zombies are for the hard core lovers!!!

4. legokiba213

legokiba213 Member

Well, if it's an action movie like the DOTD remake then fast zombie but if it's a story driven plot with character development then slow zombies are perfect. So basically it depends.

5. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Slow = Funny
    Fast = Intense

6. AVC

AVC Member

In COD 4 they are all mostly slow. Infernos are a bit quicker, and the dogs are always fast.

One thing is that sometimes when you hit a slow zomb, they will then break into a run.

If we had to HS every zomb in COD4, the difficulty would go up by about a hundred, lol.

7. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

You asked, if my reply here turns into another 500 page-long, boring monster, you have yourself to blame. I have very strong feelings about this.

I still think the best zombie movie ever (and maybe the scariest movie ever, and best horror movie ever) has to be the ORIGINAL Night of the Living Dead, and those zombies were the first I ever saw. That probably has something to do with why I like slow zombies, but the other HUGE factor for me was reading (and listening to the incredible audiobook of) World War Z... and to a lesser extent the Zombie Survival Guide.

On the one hand, if any zombie is even remotely 'believable', it is the slow zombie. A dead body just isn't going to operate as well as it did while it was alive, and most humans can't run as fast as the things in the remake of Dawn of the Dead. We are talking about corpses being jerked and shuffled around by a virus, not healthy people in the prime of life.

Running around on two legs without falling over constantly is harder than you think - even a little inner ear infection can make standing up difficult, so imagine how hard it would be to RUN when your inner ear isn't just infected, it is dead and rotting.

Check out this ant with 'Zombie Ant Syndrome' - a fungal parasite that takes over the ants body and brain. It is so dizzy it uses it's jaws to hold on to a plant stem, and it has 6 legs to hold it up instead of just 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

I would personally put fast zombies in the same 'not really zombies' category as the so-called 'zombies' Romero has cooking, cleaning, farming, delivering mail, swimming, and shooting guns in his latest awful movies. If a 'zombie' can move as quickly as a person, let alone cook a meal or ride a horse, it doesn't seem like a zombie to me - the slowness and total stupidity are their defining characteristics, second only to being dead and eating the living. A fast zombie is really just an angry cannibal who looks gross and smells bad.

A zombie that can run around, climb obstacles or ladders, open doors, and use even simple tools, is less scary to me because it is almost entirely human. It can think, it can solve problems, and even if it can't be reasoned with, it must have its own thoughts and feelings, even its own motives for doing what it does. And I have a hard time thinking that a creature which is smart enough to run and climb, etc, would be stupid enough to have the zombies total lack of concern for its own survival. If the zombie's nervous system is functioning well enough for the zombie to run around, then it is also functioning well enough for the zombie to feel pain. Basically, fast zombie means smart zombie and smart zombie is an oxymoron.

The thing that I love about zombies is that they look like us, or at least us after we get mangled and rot a little bit, but that is where their humanity ends. They have no memory of their former selves, nor of their former loved ones, their former homes, or places of work, or anything else. The closest they get to having any real emotions or thoughts is their constant, insatiable hunger.

They don't physically need to eat, because they can't digest anything anyway - what they eat just sits in their gut until their abdomen pops or the rotting 'food' begins to get pushed out the other end of the intestine by the new 'food' coming in.

The zombie is really just a corpse being manipulated by a virus. Viruses exist solely to infect more 'host' organisms, thereby allowing the virus to reproduce. This particular virus kills a person, then gets the body moving with no mental activity beyond basic senses (seeing/hearing/smelling) and a constant hunger. The hunger is how the virus gets the body to spread the infection, because the zombie wants to eat anything that is or recently was alive.

Imagine a zombie has just killed a humongous fat man, the size of Otis on the show, and is about to begin feasting on him when suddenly, an emaciated midget walks by. If the zombie were almost any predatory animal, it would be smart and continue munching on the 400 pound meal it already has. But zombies are totally mindless, and even eating 400 lbs of flesh will neither ease the hunger nor provide any nutrition. So the zombie will probably get up, abandon the enormous kill it already has, and follow the midget off into the distance. If the midget leads the zombie far enough away that the zombie can't see the carcass anymore, it will forget the fat man ever existed.

That kind of single-mindedness means that if a zombie were in the middle of the Sahara, and it didn't see, hear, or smell any prey, it would stand there literally until it rotted so much that it's brainstem (or its body) disintegrated.

Now imagine you are on one edge of a canyon 20 feet wide and 300 feet deep. On the other side of the canyon is a group of 1,000 zombies. One of the zombies sees you. He moans, moves towards you, and falls directly off the edge of the cliff, plummets hundreds of feet, and is smashed to pulp on the rocks below. Zombie #2 notices what Zombie #1 was going for, and tries to do exactly the same thing, with exactly the same results. Even zombie #1,000, having watched 999 of his colleagues plummet to their deaths by making the same retarded mistake, will fail to detect any pattern, and will die the same way.

Let's say you put a zombie in a box made of foot thick plexiglass, and put the box in Times Square, where there are literally always at least a few people walking around. That zombie will continuously try to walk (or claw) through the plexiglass until he either wears his arms away or rots to peices. He will never,ever figure out that his cause is hopeless.

8. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

One of the things that WWZ did so brilliantly was convey the psychological effect of having a large number of these mindless things stumbling towards you in spite of everything you hit them with. You can fire tanks directly into the swarm, blowing dozens of them to smithereens and tearing dozens more in half; the other zombies will not run away, will not slow down, will not even NOTICE the carnage around them or the danger they are in. Even the ones who are torn in two will keep dragging their upper half along without missing beat. You can fire flamethrowers at them, mow them down with miniguns and hmg's, but they will not back down.

This is what makes zombies different - vampires are scared of dying (and scared of crosses, holy water, garlic, sunlight, and houses they haven't been invited to). So are all other monsters, as well as every animal on the planet. Every creature with a properly functioning brain will attempt to avoid death and/or dismemberment. Zombies don't, and this makes them scarier than anything with enough sense to run around on 2 legs.

9. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

........^ What he said. :zombies_lol:

Well said, Brett! I agree 110% and could not have possibly said it better.

10. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

Ditto the feelings above...very well said fatbrett. And since you briefly mentioned Vampires at the end, yes that's how I like my vampires with those fears and characteristics, those stupid Twilight movies are ruining the vampire genre.

11. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't mean to take the thread off on a tangent, but I just don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about those movies. They may not be the vampire movies that horror hounds would like, but that was never their purpose. They're for teenage girls, really. I've seen people on other forums go as far as to wish for the writer's death. I mean....really? The Twilight films have their place and a massive following, why should that bother you? Star Wars also has a huge following, but that doesn't mean everyone likes it. Twilight isn't ruining the vampire genre anymore than Van Hellsing or Blackula did....

BTW....I quoted you, Flesh, but that wasn't really directed at you. Just a generalization.

12. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

No worries bassman...I just don't like the vampires in Twilight and I see more and more "friendly" vampire stories coming out and I'm like what? no no no....lol. That's why I said I feel they are ruining the vampire genre, so many more "vampires are your friend" type books, tv shows, movies, etc. coming out. I don't hate them to the degree described above at all...I've seen every one of them and when this latest one makes it to cable I'll watch it too...lol (wont' spend money going to the theater, I did that with the first one and was like ugh). I hate to admit it but I even read the books.

13. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Those examples are friggin hilarious. If I ever get the chance I am SO putting a zombie in plexi glass in times square.

14. Chreees

Chreees Member

Yep, I agree with Brett on his few posts above. Spot on. Fast zombies annoy me to no end, because they just aren't logical if you really sit and think about it. Slow zombs ftw. I would say this is one factor that makes Romero's "of the Dead" films so great. That, and the fact they're the originals, of course. :zombies_lol:

15. RicksGal44

RicksGal44 Member

A slow zombie eats you while your still alive and a fast one will be somewhat painful but very quick.

16. BloodLustKitty80

Oh whoa now watch it. I like Twilight lol cute boys with poofy hair oh drool lmao

17. Lucky

Lucky Member

To be honest, I like both kinds. It depends on the kind of story you are telling.

18. Danger Bunny

Danger Bunny Member

I respect your opinion despite the fact that I'm going to disagree with you, I hope you can respect mine.

This may illustrate why we disagree on this topic. I think Dawn of the Dead was the first zombie movie I saw but it may have been Night of the Living Dead. Regardless, I saw both movies in the early days of VCRs and I didn't find either movie scary, at all. Slow shambling zombies just aren't scary, they are dangerous to the people in the show but they are not nightmare inducing. Other people are always much more dangerous -- see the end of both Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

Zombies are never believable.

While I'm all in favour of fast zombies I'm not in favour of super-human zombies.

Zombification being caused by a virus is only one possible explanation.

You're applying too much scientific thought to something that is not scientifically possible. They are zombies, they don't operate by the physical laws as we know them.

I have to agree with you on the cooking and cleaning thing, zombies should be mindless eating machines. You can't just lump high-functioning zombies in with fast zombies and say fast zombies are bad because high-functioning zombies are bad. A zombie that can move quickly doesn't necessitate a zombie that can reason.

You've just made another baseless generalization (and go on to make several more), some zombies may not be able to digest food but that doesn't mean none of them can. Saying that a zombie that can digest food isn't a real zombie is pretty arrogant, zombies are a work of fiction and thus the product of the author's imagination. Who are you to say someone else's imagination is wrong?

Just last night I rewatched the British TV series Dead Set which features fast zombies. Having the characters being chased by a mob of running zombies, the zombies going nuts pounding on doors trying to get in, etc. was much more intense and much scarier than the zombies in Walking Dead. I was actually tense and nervous watching the show, something that never happens during Walking Dead. But for a series that's going to have a time frame longer than a couple of days you need the fast zombies to slow down over time. Zombies that are quick when fresh but slow when old seems to make some rational sense and allow for a story than spans a longer time frame. Zombies that are fast again after a feed (sort of like recharging a battery) works too.

With slower moving zombies film makers are always forced to have their characters stupidly ignore their surroundings so that the zombies can sneak up on them and jump out from behind the lens. Fast zombies allow the characters to be put in jeopardy without them being required to be stupid.

#18 Danger Bunny, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  19. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

/bows/ Amen!

20. Skullberry

Skullberry Member

I consider my self a zombie "purist", romero rules and all that. That being said, I wouldn't want to live in a world where there are no fast zombie movies. I rationalize it like this...Just after death, a body still has all the chemicals and hormones in it's tissues to simulate lifelike mobility. In other words, zoms are fast right after death....then kinda slow down after a bit.

Ta Dah! best of both worlds.