Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

'The Walking Dead' Producers Toned Down Violence After Premiere Backlash

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Lone Wolf, Jan 18, 2017.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

The name calling, for the most part, isn't about people who don't like gore, found the scene difficult to watch, or have criticisms about the episode. We all have complaints about the show from time to time because we're so invested in it. The names are directed at those who went as far as to contact AMC or their cable company crying about the violence until those who work on the show felt the need to address it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

It was horrible, of course. I wouldn't mind to have such scenes off camera, yet I don't demand it.
    But as stated before, there was still a difference compared to the scenes with Negan smashing heads and tormenting the group the entire time.
    It wasn't something that was like the result of a seemingly endless torture but an action on impulse because Rick had to save his son and everyone else of his group. It was a desperate action, the one and only way to save his son.

Negan, on the other hand, enjoyed the torment. And we didn't see Joe's body twitching and before that talking nonsense due to a heavy injury. It was quick and it was over before the viewer knew what was even happening.
    Whereas in the scenes with Negan we witnessed a sick and sadistical mind playing horrific games with the victims until two of them were smashed and crashed to pulp. They saw it coming after the first hit at the latest, they knew that they would die and that there was no way out whatsoever. Even when being hit, the torture continued.

There is a distance to characters and happenings in fictional stories, like we have to zombies, for example. When this distance is taken away by much too graphic scenes and the horrible actions done by other human beings in such a detailed way, the line is crossed.

If you and/or others can't see the difference between the season 7 premiere and other cruel scenes, I don't know how to explain it to you. I have tried.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

I haven't read the complaints from those who contacted AMC but isn't it their right to contact them and complain?
    Isn't feedback very important for showrunners?

I agree that complaining about zombies in a zombie show would be stupid. As well as complaining that the 6 year old child was shocked when watching the brutal scenes...
    Yet I think that sensible complaints about the mentioned graphic violence in the premiere is completely legit and justified.
    Not necessary to call them names at all.

Let's face it, fans won't stop watching because they only see guts coming out of people or faces ripped off instead of watching 60 minutes of ongoing horrific torture.
    Whereas fans or viewers that are cosidered to be "whiners" and "pussies" might stop watching when the brutality and violence reaches the limit of what is bearable additionally to the general violence of the show which most fans accept.

5. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I think we understand your opinion. A lot of us just don't happen to share it.

The level of graphical violence depicted may have gone up in the S7 premier, but in the end it is the personal preference of each viewer that determines whether the level was too high.

Have some viewers stopped watching? Sure. But this show is based on a comic book, so anything in the comic is fair game to be shown on the screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

And a lot of others just don't happen to share yours.

And the personal preference of a lot of viewers - obviously - determined that it was indeed too high. So what now?

By the way, the higher the level of graphical violence, the more the viewers get desensitized by time.

Not quite. I'm one of those who has zero interest in comics, especially in such zombie-/end of the world comics.
    Yet I'm interested in movies and tv shows.
    Not to mention that the show has already changed some happenings on screen in comparison to what happened in the comics, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, we can all disagree and have our own opinions without name calling and humiliation. Exchanging opinions is great, offending others because of different opinions is not.

7. Neuropyramidal

No matter what, there will be people who will complain about everything. You could hand some people a free gold nugget and they'd file a complaint about not getting a sack to carry it in.

Some people didn't like Glee because it had too much singing and dancing [I didn't watch it]. But many people understand the show for what it is, and that the brutality makes the victories all that more meaningful. The show is strong, with over 10 million viewers, not counting 3 day DVR, and it should not curtail itself to the outspoken minority.

Do they have the right to complain? Of course. And should the complaints be heard? Sure, why not. Listening to feedback is a healthy part of creativity. However, in this case, should the show change based on these complaints?

Nope.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Neuropyramidal

If dinosaurs smoked pipes, I'd love to go back in time just to witness that. A dinosaur smoking a pipe. Once I saw that, the world would all fall into place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Well in that case I'm going to bitch to the creators of Glee as well as my cable company that the singing and dancing is TOO over the top omg. I can't handle it anymore, it's just too much they need to tone it down!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BlackLightning

Use your brain.

If they fire Gimple, who would replace him? More AMC people? Another Walking Dead staff writer? Another Walking Dead producer?

Nobody on the outside wants to work for a network that has fired 3 showrunners and is in the middle of a legal battle with one of them.

12. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

As far as the name calling goes, when a person posts the same opinion over and over again, they are just inviting that kind of response. I myself catch a good deal of flak whenever I mention Westwingnut's Thread of Boredom.

Like it or not, you have brought the name-calling on yourself with your repetitiveness. It just gets tiresome to have to listen to someone repeat themselves again and again and again, or be repetitive, or duplicative, or say the same thing over and over and over and over again. You won't see that sort of behavior in Westwingnut's Thread of Boredom, that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

If AMC fired Gimple (due to the low ratings, or the over the top violence), they can easily replace him with a veteran staff writer who will do whatever they tell him or her.

14. BlackLightning

And how exactly would that be a good thing?

15. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Firing Gimple would be good because the show's decline happened during his tenure. Yes, AMC will just hire another toadie, but hopefully the next one won't have the characters acting stupid to move the plot along.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Well said. And I agree. And apparently so do the producers of the show. That's why they know to back off a little when they've crossed a line. It's the difference between artistry and pandering.

17. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Or
    They could be backing off, because that is how the story line went anyways.

Should they follow the comic , things will get a bit boring, after the war.
    Guess what. There will be complaints then too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

Thank you @Biffster, and I agree with your postings.

Funny, nobody called me names. I was referring to the generally spoken comments that called those who complained names. It wasn't about me...

It's astonishing to first offend others and then claiming that it's their own fault because they complain about being offended (if it had been about me at all).
    It's like pushing somebody and when they complain about it they are pushed again and blamed for it because they complained about being pushed. Weird....

Sadly, you didn't refer to just one argument I brought up.
    It seems that some fans think that their opinion of the show is the only one that counts. Other points of view are unimportant and only stated by "pussies".
    The show doesn't have to change in their opinion just because they don't want it to change. And, by the way, it's not about a real change but only about one specific scene.

This forum is not the habitat of all fans around the globe, we are just a little group, a small part of the fans/viewers.

The person who created this thread, as well as some others, wanted to know where the difference between the scenes with Negan in comparison to other brutal scenes were.
    The difference was explained by those who feel that the mentioned epsiode went over top.
    Alas, it's not acknowledged.
    Instead they are given advice to stop watching while any argument is ignored. That's the real repetition: "stop watching".
    Great.

What are some fans afraid of? The characters won't pick flowers with Negan and sing Shiny Happy People with the walkers. Don't worry, you will all get enough gory scenes, no doubt about it.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  19. Neuropyramidal

Gory scenes!! Gory scenes!! Gory scenes!!

And dancing!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

I wish these idiots would just admit that it's losing Glenn they're more upset about and not the violence.
    Would the premiere honestly have gotten THIS much backlash if Glenn's death happened to Aaron instead? Or Eugene even?

• Agree Agree x 2