Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

TWD spin-off idea

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by 92Pony, Apr 20, 2017.

1. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

So I had an epiphany the other day (LOL); I've been watching "Better Call Saul" (a spin-off of "Breaking Bad") since episode 1 and love it! I never have watched "Breaking Bad", although I do want to at some point soon. My wife has, and says that BCS is now reaching the point where it begins to mesh with BB. The two shows stand on their own very well, so one can watch them independent of one another and still be able to enjoy each.

Thinking about that the other day made me wonder about Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Negan in TWD. As much as I initially hated the Negan character, JDM has grown on me, as has the character of Negan, somewhat (I still can't wait to see him dead - hopefully!). I know a lot of people are curious about Negan's back story. I wonder if AMC could do an entire series dedicated to Negan's backstory as they are doing with Saul from BB and his Jimmy McGill alias (or the Saul alias of Jimmy McGill - I'm not completely clear on that yet). I really don't want to waste an episode of TWD for his back story, but a series with JDM might be pretty interesting. I would think the TWD writers/producers could go just about anywhere they wanted - that storyline would be pretty wide open.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind watching a mini series like this. I don't know if it would warrant an entire show with multiple seasons. They have been releasing comic Negan's background little by little in a series called "Here's Negan" so they do have some background material.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I hope it leads to a spin-off of a spin off, and the third generation spin off turns out to be a success like Good Times, and not a flop like Checking In.

But I agree with Jen, I'm not sure I see an entire show dedicated to Negan's back story. If I had to guess, they will probably do a one or two episode backstory somewhere leading up to the conclusion of All Out War. To give us a better grasp on Negan just before the final battle.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Whoa whoa whoa. Stop whatever it is you're doing and go watch Breaking Bad right now. One of the greatest shows of all time and you'll have a greater appreciation for Better Call Saul after seeing it.

As for the idea....I dunno. I've never been a big fan of the spinoff ideas from TWD. The comic/show lives and dies with Rick and Carl, so anything else just doesn't interest me. This is the reason I don't care for FTWD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

LOL! Yeah, that would give me something to do between now and Oct!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

BB is so good you'll binge watch it to the point of being done with the whole series within a month!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Yeah @92Pony listen to Bassman. BB is one of the best shows of all time. I've watched it from start to finish at least 9 times and it's still amazing. I still pick up on new things that I never quite noticed from the time before.

Anyone who tells you that it's a show about meth, is an idiot. Well.... I mean technically the show centers around that (LOL), but it's about so much more than just THAT.

The "story" of Walt becoming this drug kingpin meth cook is more of an interesting plot device used to drive the REAL story.... A story about a guy who basically was marginalized and shit on, either by life's circumstances (Cancer), himself (his temper, making bad choices) or the various people in his life (ball buster wife, etc.). He reaches a boiling point and turns into a monster.... all for the sake of what he thinks is helping his family.

If you don't start watching this show by next week, you're dead to me. ;-)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Neuropyramidal

Poor Huell.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think a "before the walking dead" series that focused on the perimeter characters would have been a better choice over FTWD.

A season dedicated to following the Governor from the start of the za to the point we are introduced to him. His wife and Penny dying, him creating Woodbury.

One about Negan.

A season about Terminus. One about Alexandria.

Sprinkle in various characters like orange backpack, Dave and Tony's group, the prisoners.

Would work because the actors wouldn't be active TWD characters. More importantly it would allow us to see these other groups from their point of view.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

Maybe a series where they focused on the backstory of a different TWD character on each episode. Otherwise. the only type spin-off I think they would do is to pick another city to show the initial outbreak in like they did on FTWD.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neuropyramidal

I think a fair idea for a spin off, if done correctly, would be show several different people, from several places all over the country, surviving in their own way. Starting with the initial outbreak. From all different walks of life. Then slowly as the series goes on, these people start running into each other, until finally they are a large group. People who started out so vastly different, are now all the same.

Another possibility would be to show a very large community that has managed to get together and form a safe zone, but much larger that what we've dealt with on TWD. Like an entire part of a city, with maybe 5 or 10 thousand people in it. Large enough that they have to organize themselves, and deal with forming a system of laws, and jobs, and currency, and sanitation, and a penal system, and deal with things like mental illness, and class warfare, and poverty, and how to deal with the sick and the old in the city, as they would be constantly dying and turning into walkers, and all the troubles that would effect a new society trying to start up.

If done right, they could really touch upon a lot of tricky ethical issues.

And at the same time they would be dealing with outside evils, like hordes, and bad groups of people, and severe weather.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

Started last night; Watched 4 episodes from 8:00-11:30. :D

• Like Like x 3
  13. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

DOOOO EEEEET.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PepperAnn

He's prolly still in that room. Waiting. But now he's skinny. Cuz....waiting.

15. PepperAnn

Nice!

16. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

That's why I would love to see how Woodbury, Terminus, and Alexandria were built. Even Hilltop, Kingdom, Oceanside and their original group, and so on. When we watch the show we see Rick and how he has led his group over all this time. But really the other groups did a better job building a community. Rick gets credit for the prison, and to an extent teaching the Alexandrians how to live beyond the walls. But terminus was a successful community, as was Woodbury. Hilltop and the kingdom also were doing better. I would like to see those communities being built, from their point of view.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

Watched 25 episodes from Thurs - Sun. This show is worse than the drug!! (LOL!)

Now I'm already sad that I will finish it quickly!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. PepperAnn

Weeee tollllldddd yooooou. :p It's a fantastic show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

If they had waited and hadn't rushed out that F TWD thing a spinoff after TWD ended would have been interesting if you started a new group of survivors from the beginning. There'd be a bit of nostalgia with some TWD fans to see a story from the start again. It's tough though to replicate the Better Call Saul approach because Breaking Bad was a unique show.

If they had taken more of the comic approach with the fall of the prison then the Lilly character might have been interesting to follow as the spinoff, as long as they didn't use the weak Rise of the Governor book series as the roadmap.

20. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

an entire series dedicated to the comings and goings of the Morales family

• Winner Winner x 1