Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I think I am actually at the point where I am enjoying Fear now more than TWD

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by lastcat3, Jun 26, 2017.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I think I am at the point now where Fear has passed TWD up in my eyes. I just feel like I am enjoying the direction the show is taking and the characters more now. The Fear characters just seem more real and less over the top than the TWD characters are. At first it did seem like they were a bit boring but now that we are into the third season and am seeing their character growth unfold I am really starting to get into their stories.

No it doesn't have the overall thrills or excitement of TWD (which is probably why a lot of the fan base was turned off from it in the first couple seasons) but now it just seems like TWD is focusing almost entirely on the thrills and excitement and the over the top characterizations.

Without a doubt Fear is living off of the popularity of TWD and there isn't anyone that will dispute that. But in the meantime I feel it is managing to tell a more human story where as TWD is a story about over the top super heroes and villians living in the apocalypse.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying FTWD more and more, and I think Season 3 is shaping up to be the best season yet. I like some of the imagery they've pulled off this season, and they've done a couple ballsy things.

However, I still don't connect to the show nor the characters the way I do TWD. I think FTWD is a good show, but not a great show yet. One of its flaws, I think, is that it has concentrated too much on sticking to the original main cast. Aside from the Otto family [which may not last long], we really have the same cast of main characters we did from the first 2 episodes of S1. Nobody from S2 followed us into S3 for more than one episode, aside from Luciana, who has been barely utilized this season.

That ever growing and changing dynamic is part of what makes TWD so engaging. Each season new and interesting main characters come along. In FTWD, new characters come along, but don't seem to ever become main cast. The focus is still just the Clarks, Daniel, and Strand. I think the show would be more engaging if maybe one or two people from Abigail's compound, and one or two people from the hotel, had followed them and joined the group. And became main cast.

Madison and Nick are growing on me more, but the only characters I really come close to connecting with, the way I do many of the TWD characters, are Daniel and Strand. They need to spice up the mix a little here.

But, like I said, I do think this is shaping up to be the best season so far, and with new people in charge, I am quite interested to see where Season 4 takes us.

3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I have said since season 1 that Fear seemed a more mature version of TWD. And quite honestly (and it pains me to say this) season 3 seems to be driving that point home this season.

There is an article online about this subject: that the Fear characters are real people and the TWD characters seem more super hero. While I do not completely agree with that statement, I do concede that there is a bit of substance to the comparison.

And I would say that the reason for the difference is that one show has the comic book universe dictating a great deal of its characters and story lines while the other is able to write its own story as the show runner sees fit.

And while this season is shaping up to be very good indeed, I do worry what season 4 and beyond will bring since Dave Erickson will no longer be at the helm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lastcat3

What I find most interesting about what they did for season 4 is the fact that they brought Scott Gimple on as executive producer. Now I realize that that doesn't necessarily mean he is going to be working on it that much but I do wonder if that means they are going to start trying to give it more of the feel of TWD. With Alicia all of a sudden turning into a sniper and Nick turning into a Daryl type character. Those kinds of things.

5. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I didn't read any of the comments, to avoid spoilers. I just started watching ftwd and finished season 1. It's interesting to see how the military tried to contain the situation and everybody treated it similar to a natural disaster, figuring it would eventually pass. By the 6th episode (a few weeks in) they seemed to have a better understanding that this isn't a temporary thing. The make shift base reminded me of the things Rick saw when he woke up, so it gives some context to what he saw.

Looking forward to season 2 and beyond, most people say season 3 has been amazing.

6. lastcat3

Yeah season 3 has been really good. A lot of what people had trouble with in the beginning it seems was that the show was attempting to go all the way back to the beginning after people had already been following this universe for five years. So in the beginning the viewer was more adapt at knowing what to do than the characters were and that was tough for a lot of TWD fans to sit through. A lot of viewers didn't have the patience or enough interest in the show in general to put up with that.

It's probably no coincidence that once the characters in Fear have started adapting to the world (like TWD characters were like from the very beginning of the series) is when people's opinion of the show really started turning around.

If there was one mistake AMC did with Fear is that they probably overestimated how much interest there was in seeing the initial outbreak. I think a lot of fans like the idea of seeing civilization fall apart. But the reality of watching a core group of characters for an entire season or two trying to figure out what is going on and slowly adapting to it wasn't nearly as much fun for a lot of people.