Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[Spoiler] TWD S8 Filming Pictures/Updates Discussion

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Spoilers' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

We needed more cliffhanger to keep us talking. :p:D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

This is sad to hear. It happens more then we know but it's sad. This performer is brain dead going to die due to a simple misstep. Prayers and love for him and his family.

3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I know that a great many people will be thinking "he knew the risk". Does not lessen the heartache and pain that his loved ones and his co-workers are experiencing. As a fan of the show I appreciate the work of all involved and owe each of them my thanks and gratitude for working tirelessly to bring the show to life for the fans, season after season. So in some small infinitesimal way I feel a sense of loss also and sadness for his family, and his close knit group of co-workers who will be feeling all the heavier when production resumes.

I also feel concern for the actor he was rehearsing with at the time of the accident. To be so close and unable to prevent that split second accident must be weighing quite heavily on that individual.

#103 Dnae, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

They could just shut production down until after comic con

5. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Tragedy struck The Walking Dead family this week, as stuntman John Bernecker died after fall of over 20 feet on the set.

Bernecker was taken to Atlanta Medical Center on Wednesday after the fall, and he was treated in the intensive care unit. He was then pronounced dead on July 12 at 6:30 PM ET.

Now, new details regarding Bernecker's death have been released. According to TMZ, the stuntman was supposed to fall onto a cushion, 22 feet below the balcony of The Sanctuary. Bernecker barely missed the target.

Assistant director Matthew Goodwin told the police that Bernecker missed the cushion "just by inches." Goodwin went on to say that the stuntman didn't get very good separation from the balcony when he started the fall, and that he "attempted to abort the fall by grabbing onto the railing with both hands."

He then told the police that Bernecker's momentum slammed him into the bottom of the balcony, causing him to release his hands, and he fell onto his head and neck.

What Was The Stunt?
    The stunt was taking place at the Sanctuary - where the villainous Negan calls home. The balcony that he fell from was seen at the end of Season 7, when Negan told his group of followers that he was going to war with Rick.

There's no telling what the fall could have been, but it the scene was involving the character of Dwight, played by Austin Amelio.

Amelio told the police that he and Bernecker were talking before the stunt took place, and John said that he had never done a fall from that height (22 feet) before. The actor added that Bernecker "seemed a little nervous."

John's girlfriend, Jennfier Cocker, is a stuntwoman as well, but she wasn't on set when the incident occurred. Understandably, she is incredibly upset with the production.

"Sets need to be safer. There has to be a prerequisite not to put a super professional stuntman with an inexperienced actor who doesn't know what he's doing."

According to the police, John gave a thumbs-up signal before filming began.

Production Halt
    Following the tragedy of Bernecker's passing, AMC has announced that production on The Walking Dead would halt temporarily. The network released the following statement with that announcement:

“We are saddened to report that John Bernecker, a talented stuntman for The Walking Dead and numerous other television shows and films, suffered serious injuries from a tragic accident on set,” AMC's statement said. “He was immediately transported to an Atlanta hospital, and we have temporarily shut down production. We are keeping John and his family in our thoughts and prayers.”

There's no word as to when production will begin again, but it likely won't be until the end of July.

The cast of the series is heading to San Diego Comic Con next week, to promote Season 8, so production was already getting put on hold for that time.

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Its a shame, and a tragedy that likely can not be blamed on any one person or thing, but will serve as a reminder that the production always has room for improvement when it comes to the safety of its cast and stunt crew. Its easy to forget that the riskiest work that goes into a film production is often done by those who get the least fame. The one good thing that they can take advantage of here is the opportunity to re-evaluate and continually update their safety protocols. Maybe they will put their thumb on a few things that could possibly have prevented this, and use that info to keep future stunt folks safer.

I also feel bad that Austin appears to be taking some probably undue blame here. I'm sure he feels awful enough. Questions definitely have to be answered and addressed here, and I hope everyone involved is able to channel their grief in a way that is productive and healthy for their own recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I was wondering which of the cast was the one with him when it happened. As I stated in my earlier post, I am sure that the actor (now known to be Austin) is dealing with some degree of guilt and second guessing himself, wondering if he could have done anything differently. Just sad all the way around, very very heartbreaking for all involved.

And while I am sure that the girlfriend is speaking while under a great deal of stress I do think that her words about inexperienced actors being paired with stunt people will be something she regrets stating. Isn't that the role of the stunt person? To take on the physical bits of a scene instead of an inexperienced person trying to do them? Am I reading more into her statement than is there? I am not making light of the incident, I just do not want any one person taking the brunt of the blame, or the angry words of someone who is (understandably) feeling a plethora of emotions, for something that was beyond their control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing - I think it's too bad they published that, because i'm sure she's upset and finding a place to put blame.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, that's kind of the same thing I was trying to get at when I mentioned that I hoped everyone was able to channel their grief in a productive and healthy way. I think this is just a knee jerk reaction and its not the only statement his gf has made, so its a shame that the article chose this one to publish.

10. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

looks like they are probably back filming tomorrow
    • pollyannamcintosh As I prepare to work again tomorrow I'm again thinking of John's friends and family and of John. My heart goes out to you all and to the rest of your set family and families who've known John and his art.

11. Neuropyramidal

From a couple days ago...

[​IMG]

12. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Now THAT is a very specific extra!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Tom has been posting stuff that seems to indicate he's in Sweden with his G/F, so I don't know about these sightings from filming.

14. Neuropyramidal

Well Jesus is still situated in their 'rumored' category where many of the rest are confirmed with details, so that fits.

Perhaps one of the crew members is sporting the Messiah look ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

*looks at my multi-toned hair and white skin*

*applies anyway*

'Merica

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Jen making it great again!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Well of course he is in Sweden - not as though he actually shows up in more than 2 episodes per season!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Neuropyramidal

He's too busy building his Jesus and Dnae eastern European mountain honeymoon Chateau.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

The question now is when Old Man Rick appears....
    Flash forward in premiere,
    After the time jump in MSF
    In MSP
    In finale

20. Neuropyramidal

Its possible in the MSP, as they do like to reinvent themselves each half season, but I honestly don't see all out war only lasting 8 episode. It also could happen in a random episode like 812, like the way they found Alexandria, so we get a 4 or 5 episode glimpse of them rebuilding, with some of the smaller arcs of trouble, like