Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 171

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by lastcat3, Sep 6, 2017.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Ugh. That was a very mediocre issue. Hopefully that new character is short lived for the series. Not a big fan of her humor.

#1 lastcat3, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I didn't care for her either

3. TROR

TROR Member

I hope she dies next issue. Preferably in the first panel.

4. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Yeah it was pretty lame but Kirkman said in letter hacks she is an important character or something along those lines :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. TROR

TROR Member

Didn't you read the comic? She's only important because she's Mexican. Nothing is more important in the apocalypse than ethnic diversity.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Not much happened other than meeting Princess, but I still enjoyed the issue. I think with her humor they are setting up a future situation where things [at least temporarily] go sour with some of the Ohio group members due to Princess. She will likely say something inappropriate at the wrong time and it will throw a wrench in things. If she drops the schtick and we see what kind of personality she is really left with after being alone for a year, she could become an interesting character.

I enjoy issues that reinforce how desolate the apocalypse is. If she is telling the truth, and has really not seen another human being for a year, then it reminds us how bleak and devastating their world is. We get used to seeing so many characters from all the different groups now, that sometimes the decimated apocalypse feeling is muted. Its nice to get that feel back a little bit when we meet a loner like her, or when Magna's group comes and informs us they also saw no human beings for months. It reminds us how special the people we are reading about really are.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lastcat3

Yeah however that also can become a little tricky from a story telling standpoint because there will still always be enough people around to keep the story going. If we get to the area where the Ohio communities are and there are enough people around to get another war going (like there was in the Washington D.C. area) it will begin to take a little bit away from the amount of bleakness that he is trying to show now. It will begin to make it seem like 'oh there's nobody around until Kirkman needs to get a story going and then there will be lots of people around.'

I personally think that he should have made it to where there are groups of people scattered around most major cities. Maybe not all of them formed into a real structured community systems like Alexandria/Hilltop/and the Kingdom did but they are still out there around most Metropolitan areas. That way when he needs to have a lot of people around in order to get a story going it won't seem like he's pulling all these people out of left field in this bleak world he has created just because he needs to start up another war. For instance it sure was a nice coincidence that in this big country we have that spans thousands and thousands of miles The Whisperers went to the exact place they needed to be at in order to start a war with the D.C. people even though you can supposedly cross entire states without seeing anyone.

8. Neuropyramidal

Somewhat, but I think in a world where perhaps 99.9+ percent of people are dead, we are seeing a close approximation of what reality might be. The areas where people weren't lucky enough to find each other and form a fortified place to live, and work together to help each other stay alive as a community, would have had most of its rare survivors either die off or move away. I think the people who did manage to find a place like Alexandria, and whatever awaits us in Ohio, would likely be the exception rather than the rule, with so few survivors alive.

So I would expect to see very long stretches of desolation in between communities. And they may well be passing by communities along the way, but unless they come within a quarter mile of one, or happen to run into that community's scavengers while they're out on a run, they would likely pass right by and never know it was there.

So its hard to say what the reality really is. I'm just glad they are showing us that its a world where you can still go months or more without running into another human, especially if you don't try to actively find anyone else. Maybe Princess has been hunkered down in the same square mile of city all this time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I like the princess. Happy to see that the first unofficial representative of Pittsburgh in TWD is rocking an M240b. I say unofficial because she didn't say "yinz," one goddamn time, and she had numerous opportunities to do so. That's the only thing stopping me from trusting her. It's unnatural.

I also liked Eugene's scene. That went well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Honda ole pal!!

11. HondaS2kXD

Neuro ole-er pal!!

12. Neuropyramidal

• Like Like x 1
  13. HondaS2kXD

[​IMG]

14. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

E]
    Awwww.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. lastcat3

[​IMG]

Ellie is giving all these lovie dovie posts the death look.

16. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

She has a bad case of resting bitch face. :p

17. lastcat3

Uh oh. You're better off saying mean things about Negan than you are about Ellie.

Keep in mind she was saying this line while playing guitar immediately after walking into a house and killing a bunch of people.

18. Krakatau

Krakatau Member

My eyes nearly rolled out of my skull reading the "minority" dialogue. I don't understand why anyone cares about race IRL. I imagine it's far less important during the zombie apocalypse.

Social justice TWD is the worst TWD.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

So, hurricane prep and then the hurricane itself put me off from being able to pick up this issue until yesterday.

Goddamn weather.

I was okay with the issue. Princess seems... a bit off her rocker, but being isolated for that long would probably do it. Wasn't a great issue, wasn't a horrible issue. Enjoyed the Eugene scene; that went better than I thought it would, honestly. Was not really a big fan of the diversity talk - not because I dislike diversity, but rather that it felt shoe-horned in for the sake of being there rather than a more natural conversation. Kept waiting for Michonne to be like, "We're all trying to survive the end of the world, this really doesn't matter anymore. Priorities."

Lack of Negan made me not-so-sad that it took over a week to acquire the issue, though. And judging by Letter Hacks, sounds like we won't see my big lug again until December. Sad face.