Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Return To Woodbury

Discussion in 'Novels and Paperbacks' started by Neuropyramidal, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Finally picked up this book and finished it tonight. Not a whole lot to say about this one. Its typical Jay fare, complete with mistakes such as the name of one character usually being Tommy, but on at least a couple of occasions, Timmy. The villain of this last story was a paper thin, hastily thrown together mess, a nonsensical 2 dimensional malformed piece of garbage who seemed to serve no purpose other than to make the book as annoying as possible.

And what is it with Jay thinking that vehicles, like cats, naturally turn themselves right side-up again? I think this is the third time in this series that this happened. Are you upside down in your SUV? No worries, as soon as someone sneezes, you will flip right side up again and can drive away to the magical sounds of Barry Manilow.

2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Hey. Was wondering if you had just given up on this series all together and weren't going to bother with this book. Sorry then about giving spoilers away about what ended up happening to Lilly in that comic thread a while back. So what did you think of having to read four of Jay's books just to get the grand finale of Lilly getting her foot cut off?

And yeah about the villain of the book. You could take all of the villains throughout these past four books and they were all basically the same exact character with different names.

I personally thought this was the worst book of the four. This series pretty much ruined Lilly Caul as a character. She would have turned out so much better if Kirkman gave Telltale the rights to tell her story after the prison arc. I think TellTale storytelling has dipped in quality a little bit as well. But their games are still a thousand times better than these past four books have been.

#2 lastcat3, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. Neuropyramidal

Tis okay, I actually didn't see your spoiler, because I somehow read your subsequent post first, where you apologized for the spoiler, so I avoided the actual spoiler post ;).

I actually thought this book started out with a bit of promise compared to the last few, with the introduction of Rafael. I was glad we were breaking away from the same old Georgia group and exploring a brand new character. But then he was never really developed too much after that, and the book ended with them in pretty much the exact same boat as they've always been in, minus a foot.

4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

What ever happened to our Jay anyway. :p

5. lastcat3

Was that really him? I always figured it was just some poster poking fun at the books.

6. PepperAnn

It was a troll. But he was hilarious. Lol

7. Neuropyramidal

ohhhhh, I have a feeling he is still around.

8. lastcat3

So @Neuropyramidal I'm assuming this particular series is finished than right? Havn't seen anything about the next upcoming novel plus there isn't much they can do with Lilly as a character now since she only has one foot.

Still wouldn't mind another Walking Dead novel series. Definitely needs a writer that will take it more seriously than Jay did though. One idea might be to follow Magna from the beginning of the apocalypse until her and her group reaches Alexandria (don't think Kirkman has plans to delve into their backstory too much in the comic).

I have always pictured Magna as how Kirkman would have written Lilly if he chose to keep her in the comic to eventually join Rick's group.

9. Neuropyramidal

It would seem so. The eighth book marked the end of their contract with Jay, and I haven't heard anything about it being extended. Yeah it would be interesting to explore another crevice of the comic universe with a new author. I wouldnt even mind them doing an Abe/Eugene/Rosita backstory series, starting with each individual story before they even met each other, and leading up to them joining the group. But if they were going to tackle main characters like that, I would hope they'd find a really talented author.

10. PepperAnn

Hmmmmmm

11. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that I stopped reading this series before Lilly lost her foot. lol

Was it a Hershel style walker bite deal?

12. lastcat3

Oh we could see the whole thing coming from a mile away. Only question was since this was the last book of the contract they have was it going to kill Lilly.

Basically one of the characters in the Woodbury group (Tommy, who has been around since Descent or Invasion I believe) got separated from the group with about a hundred pages left in the book. It was extremely obvious from the very beginning that he was just getting separated so he could come save the day at the end. Sure enough that was what happened as the main villain of this particular novel took all the remaining characters hostage (all of Jay's books seemed to end with someone getting taken hostage at the end), Then right as the story was trying to make you think all was doomed for Lilly and co. here comes Tommy with gun in hand shooting the boss from behind.

The main boss put Lilly's group in a pit and after Tommy shot him I guess he didn't bother to kill his brain (you'd think this far into the apocalypse that would be second nature to these guys by now as this story is supposed to take place during the timeskip of the comics I believe). So as Tommy is trying to rescue the group and help them out of the pit the main boss reawakes in zombie form and falls into the pit right around the area where Lilly was at and nabs her on her ankle. Just before that it was revealed that Tommy was bit just prior to getting back to Woodbury.

So it ends with Tommy and Lilly being bit and the book wants it to be an emotional moment with both wanting to sacrifice themselves for the other.

Tommy was one of the kids of the men that Lilly had one of her short romances with. For the first several books you could guarantee that Lilly was going to have a sex scene about halfway through (just like all bad movies do in order to keep people watching until the end). I think it went that way for about four or five books and in each book the guy died by the end. Guess Jay decided to stop giving her these very predictable romances and in place of that he gave Lilly a mother/child relationship and Tommy was placed into the role of the child.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Stealth

Thanks for the synopsis. I stopped after the evil Reverend guy who had the caravan where they ridiculously kept driving around. So I skipped the last two books.

So Tommy ends up chopping off Lilly's foot? Wasn't there anyone left that could save them both? lol

14. lastcat3

Yeah there was like four or five other people down there. I think the deal was that they only had one bullet left amongst the group and both Lilly and Tommy was wanting that bullet to be used on them and have people save the other. It really didn't make much sense but Jay was again forgoing realism in order to play out a dramatic scene.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stealth

Wow, that's even bad by Jay's usually low standards.