Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

R.I.P. -- The Obit Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by westwingnut, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Gol-lee sargeant! That's a shame. I remember being depressed when I found out he was gay.

2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Pat DiNizio, singer of The Smithereens :(

3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Last night, I received an email out of the blue. I had forgotten that I had asked a web site to notify me when any new information was available. It's been 5 years.
    The web site honors those who have died at sea, during war time.
    On Eternal Patrol notified me that the search group Search for Those on Eternal Patrol (STEP), along with a man named Tim Taylor, found the submarine USS S - 28,on Sept. 20th 2017, which disappeared on July 4th, 1944 off from Hawaii. It is in 8700 feet of water and will rest on the bottom of the ocean, untouched.
    My great uncle Carl Henery (Sonny) Gerbensky was one of the sailors on board.
    RIP Uncle Sonny
    His photo is the last one, before the 5 missing photos.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    John Young, seen here training for NASA’s Apollo 16 moon landing mission in December 1971, died on Friday, Jan. 5, 2018 at the age of 87.
    Credit: NASA
    John Young, NASA's longest-serving astronaut, who walked on the moon and flew on the first Gemini and space shuttle missions, has died.

The first person to fly six times into space — seven, if you count his launch off of the moon in 1972 — and the only astronaut to command four different types of spacecraft, Young died on Friday (Jan. 5) following complications from pneumonia.. He was 87.

"NASA and the world have lost a pioneer," said NASA acting administrator Robert Lightfoot in a statement on Saturday (Jan. 6). "John Young's storied career spanned three generations of spaceflight; we will stand on his shoulders as we look toward the next human frontier."

"Young was at the forefront of human space exploration with his poise, talent, and tenacity. He was in every way the 'astronaut’s astronaut,'" Lightfoot said.

Selected alongside Neil Armstrong and Jim Lovell with NASA's second group of astronauts in 1962, Young flew two Gemini missions, two Apollo missions and two space shuttle missions. He was one of only three astronauts to launch to the moon twice and was the ninth person to step foot on the lunar surface.

In total, Young logged 34 days, 19 hours and 39 minutes flying in space, including 20 hours and 14 minutes walking on the moon.

"I've been very lucky, I think," Young said in a NASA interview in 2004, when he retired from the space agency after 42 years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I tried to see who rated your post and accidentally hit dislike. Mistake!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. PepperAnn

8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tink

tink Well-Known Member

:(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lindigo

Edwin Hawkins, local gospel singer out of Oakland, rest in peace and joy. Author of Oh, Happy Day. When I went to get a youtube copy, I was delighted to see it was one of those songs that soared around the globe. I'm not a believer, but what a wonderful song.

11. Lindigo

I read a story recently about how they had studied brains in action of people who get skin tingles while listening to some music. This is one of the songs that does it for me. LOL I get that tingling, rippling sensation when the music soars up and Secretariat leaps out of the gate. Just sheer joy.

12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Ursula K Le Guin, SF and fantasy author. Amazing writer, The Lathe of Heaven is one of my favorites.

13. tink

tink Well-Known Member

John Mahoney, who played Frazier's dad, dead at 77 (reportedly he was suffering from cancer).

[​IMG]

14. PepperAnn

:(. I loved him on Frazier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Lindigo

16. Lindigo

Sharpie meant to post here that Billy Graham died at age 99. Wow, he was born in 1908.
    --------------------------------

Armfield, a writer and a pastor’s wife in South Carolina, said her uncle’s suggestion that Trump’s win meant God answered the country’s prayer was bad theology. “To suggest the president-elect is an ambassador to further the kingdom in the world diminishes not only my Jesus but all he stood for and came to earth to fight against,” she said.

She said Trump “encouraged racism, sexism and intolerance, exactly what Jesus taught against.” She said that her grandfather “understood the love of Jesus that fought for the outliers while the president-elect ostracized them.”

“The evangelical leaders that endorsed Trump put power and influence over principles and character,” she said.

Franklin Graham said he doesn’t talk about politics with family members because he doesn’t want to divide the family. As with many evangelical families, Graham said he knows some family members may have voted differently from him in the presidential election.

“I’ve tried to remind people in the evangelical community this election wasn’t about crude language, it wasn’t about lost emails,” he said. It was about electing someone, who would appoint anti-abortion-rights Supreme Court justices, he believes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-white-house-circles/?utm_term=.f52f9f048e36

I know I should be smacked upside the head for mentioning Trump over here, but I really never got Graham. Still, rest in peace. You were determined to do the best you could, as you understood it, for others.

17. PepperAnn

I know this is a sad mournful day for my mom. She has watched him religiously (pardon the pun) every week when he had his weekly show. For decades.

18. Lindigo

The parents of one of my friends were also fans. That was basically how I knew about him when I was a teenager. I watched him once in a blue moon because I thought those parents were the best ever, but I didn't see the appeal.

When I was in grade school, I think there must have been some rule about putting a certain amount of religious programming on the air, because that's what we got blanketed with on Sunday mornings, on both TV and the radio. I liked some of the tv stuff, but I don't remember why. I think it was uplifting stories more than doctrine and what I think of as Christian mythology.

19. PepperAnn

He was definitely an old school type preacher.

20. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

No. I meant to put it in the crazy thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1