Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 182 Discussion

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Solid issue. Its pretty much what we needed to see, plotwise. Pamela had to be introduced to all the communities before making a decision on her relationship with our group. So this issue was a necessity, and I think Kirkman moved it along pretty quickly without dwelling on formalities too much.

It established a possible side-gig between John and Pamela, although it seems on the surface that John is a straight arrow right now. Unless he's a psychopath that is talking about how proud he is of tomatoes while he has sinister things on his mind. The real Juice will probably hit the fan when Rick finds out about the inner workings of the Commonwealth. Mercer seems to like Rick's way of thinking, so perhaps he will clue Rick in on the 411.

Pamela knows more about Negan now, so we'll have to see what she does with that information. Perhaps she feels there is a rank in her community for someone like him :p.

Eugene bringing mystery tools....hmm, perhaps he is already remembering the train? Although they didn't exactly look like train tinkering tools. I'll have to go back but I think I saw a shovel and wooden stick or handle.

Also, this issue supposedly was going to contain another appearance by Gavin, who has only been seen so far in a couple frames in issue 107. There was a contest a few years ago held by Charlie and a charity, with the winner getting his persona drawn into the comics. The winner was Gavin Meakings, and the character "Gavin" appeared in 107, although he had no lines and was not named in the comic itself.

The only person I saw on my first run through that might be him is the guy standing to the left in the frame where the Saviors greet Rick at the gate. @mistertrouble189 what do you think?

#1 Neuropyramidal, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Good issue. Like you said @Neuropyramidal it was a story that needed to get done and it was good that Kirkman decided to contain it all within one issue and not drag it out for multiple issues.

Interesting that Rick said in this issue that it had been months that they had been working on the new building. I think we talked about it a couple issues back and agreed that it had only been a few weeks. So maybe there has been a bit of timeskipping going on that they didn't outright acknowledge. Then again I guess we could stretch it out to a month or month and half if we say that two or three days passed at certain points when we thought only one day passed.

I guess Magna and Yumiko are back in their house screwing again. Hopefully those two don't disappear for another 15 issues. I'd bet you if those characters prove to be well liked in the show Kirkman will start using them more in the comic.

I'm hoping Negan doesn't come back into the picture again. He got a good send off and if he had little purpose in the story before he definitely doesn't now. Little point in having Negan around when you have stormtroopers everywhere you turn.

Believe it or not I'm becoming anxious to see Lydia once again. I looked at the wiki page and she hasn't been in the comic since issue 173. This is one thing that frustrates me about Kirkman's style of storytelling is how he just drops characters for a year or two worth of comic releases. If he doesn't know what to do with particular characters it would be cool if he gave reasons for why they havn't been around for awhile. He could easily have Carl mention something about that she was helping someone with something. But instead we are made to assume she is exactly right there walking around the Hilltop grounds just a little bit offscreen but the guy writing the story has no desire to put her in at this time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

I feel like Maggie is the only one who has Pamela pegged correctly. Pamela may end up proving me wrong, but currently she doesn't strike me as the type who'd be interested in being part of a network. I think her ultimate goal from the start has been to absorb all the communities, and Rick for whatever reason hasn't caught on to that yet. Perhaps cause he's developing feelings for her? He did display a couple signs of loneliness in this issue...

Do you think Rick's convo with Pamela about Negan foreshadows a future confrontation between Negan and Pamela?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Did anyone get a bad vibe, when Pamela was telling Rick that she hoped they would come around to Commonwealths way of thinking? It gave me the feeling that she wants to be in charge of the whole world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. lastcat3

No not really. I think she is merely learning about the Alexandria area and that was a major event that happened to them in the past and we will probably eventually learn of stuff that happened in the Commonwealths past. I think Pamela is just being written as a traditional politician. They try to get people to come around to seeing things their way but that doesn't necessarily mean they are an actual enemy or anything. I think what we are getting at here is that we have two separate community systems that have their own different ways of doing things and both sides have their strengths and weaknesses.

I feel there is a much better chance that both communities will end up learning from eachother and adopting some of the things that they do well into their own way of doing things than there is that the Commonwealth will end up turning into tyrants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lastcat3

Alligning themselves with as many 'good' places as possible is probably how the Commonwealth became as big as it did. All those 50,000 people didn't all come right from that area where we were at the last few issues. They probably have dozens (if not hundreds) of smaller communities that they found and aligned themselves with. They are doing the same with Alexandria.

In a lot of ways I see the Commonwealth as a version of the old U.S. Government and they are building themselves the same way the United States built itself up from just a small group of colonies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

Excellent points. Never thought of it that way, but that makes a lot more sense.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Probably not, but I can foresee her somehow using this information to try and further convince Rick that her way of things are better. That under her system no "Negans" can crop up. Something along those lines. And maybe Kirkman will show us that Pamela has a shade or two of Negan mixed in her own personality.

As an aside, is it just me or this gap between issues taking forever. I felt like it was almost time for the next one, and when I checked....nope...almost 3 weeks to go still!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

On another note, while I understand why some people may not want Negan to appear again - his presence sucks up a lot of the story, making it harder to develop other characters - I personally hope he does at some point. Not only is he the #1 villain in the comic's history, but he's arguably the greatest character in the comic's history, on par with Rick Grimes. And if Rick's character arc can last as long as it has, Negan's can continue as well.

10. lastcat3

Yep. They havn't had a two issue month for over a year now. A lot different from my Star Wars comics where they have two issues a month all the time. The main line for that series started early 2015 and they are already on issue 53.

11. lastcat3

Also @Neuropyramidal the new Walking Dead Telltale game got released this week. So you can play Ep. 1 now and it may help give you a TWD comic universe fix until the next issue comes out.

• Like Like x 1