Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 186 Discussion

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Welp, Dwight's story has come to an end. Will Laura forgive Rick?

Decent issue. I was sorry to see Dwight go, but at least it moved the plot along a bit. Rick really has some cards in the game now, and won't likely let Dwight's death be for nothing.

I can't help but wonder if they are setting up something with Stephanie's wig. Will there be a scuffle where residents are bullied by the troopers and her wig gets torn off, humiliating her? Will this solidify Eugene's stake in this game?

Is Magna gonna gets the guards restless at home, causing some sort of mishap while Rick is away???

2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I am so glad Dwight got killed off. He was getting so annoying lately. Almost tv show Negan levels of annoying.

Kind of find it hard to believe that Eugene wouldn't have found out that Stephanie wore a wig until now. But oh well.

I'm glad that we are actually seeing Magna do something in the comic.

To be honest I thought it was a very so so issue. Havn't been into Dwight's moodiness lately at all so that is probably a big reason why it was hard for me to get into this issue. I think we could use some time away from the Commonwealth for awhile. It's really been the sole focus of the series for about fifteen or sixteen issues now (really ever since Andrea died). The fact that I thought the best part of the issue was the single page that had Carl teasing Sophia about a boy that wanted to sit next to her and her in turn rolling her eyes at him made it very clear that we need to start putting more focus on Hilltop again.

3. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

You know, Rick killing Dwight actually surprised me; and it’s not often I get shocked by TWD anymore. Also, I’m still very concerned that Rick isn’t more disturbed by Pamela, or should I say The Governor. I mean come on, she’s similar to Blake in so many ways, right before he died Dwight was desperately trying to point it out but I feel like Rick should be well aware of what she is. I know he made his little off hand Governor comment when he and Pam first met, but it’s not the same. I mean the whole point of experience is to learn, you know, fool me twice? But at the same time, the whole “were the best, let’s TAKE OVER” thing is so tired. But that doesn’t mean I agree with Michonne. I mean, so what? Grass is always greener, why can’t they just go home and forget the commonwealth?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Agreed with jwcoombs on just go home and live and let live. The idea that Rick's group always has to get involved with everything and save the world is pretty arrogant. It would be one thing if this group was heathens hanging people from old light poles and such, but it's not that kind of situation.

Did not foresee Rick putting down Dwight. But am damn glad Dwight's finally gone. Have never been a fan of his.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. lastcat3

I didn't have a problem with Dwight until the end of the Whisperer War. His characterization has seemed pretty forced ever since then. Kirkman does that ever once in a while where he tries to force conflict instead of letting it develop naturally.

6. lastcat3

There is actually a big difference between Pamela and the Governor. The Governor was an outright madman where as Pamela is pretty much your traditional politician.

7. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I was surprised that Rick killed Dwight. Then blamed Michonne for it.

I too, think they should just go home, and mind their own business. Maybe put a word out to the people that anyone can join them.
    I think some would go. Specially if Eugene gets that train up and running from last issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Neuropyramidal

I think people would go too. The random couple Rick met on the street kind of half-jokingly stated as much. The problem, if Rick gave the blanket offer to the residents, could be that TOO MANY people would say yes. Alexandria and friends are still pretty small communities, I'm not sure they could handle an influx of a few hundred or more.

I agree that they don't need to fix the world. This is a community of 50 thousand people. They're adults, so if the inhabitants don't like the way things are going they could stand up for themselves. Plus Pamela is an elected official. So i'm assuming she has limited terms. Someone can run against her next time, and make change that way. That's how its suppose to work. Someone could start campaigning now. If the were backed by enough people it would be political suicide for Pamela to silence that person the way they silenced Dwight. I don't see why their current system requires a coup from Rick and gang.

However, we haven't seen everything yet, so....that could change.

9. lastcat3

To be honest I would bet that is the direction Kirkman plans on taking this. Pamela will simply get voted out and Rick voted in just like they do in real life.

Having a war take place between a population of 50k and a population of 200 or so is just pretty ridiculous. And as much as the civil war idea seems to be going around now it's often just a small sect of the population that feels that way (and an even smaller group that would be willing to do rise up and do something about it). So I think having a civil war happen within the Commonwealth would be almost as equally as silly.

The only way I could see an actual war making sense in this situation would be if there was another large community that was in conflict with the Commonwealth. And they have yet to introduce any other large communities let alone another large community that wants to fight them.

So Pamela getting voted out it is.

10. jwcoombs

It wouldn’t necessarily be 50k vs several hundred. Think of how many Commonwealthers may fall on Rick’s side of the conflict. Also, I’ve been saying this forever, but as far as war is concerned it doesn’t have to be traditional, violent, tribal/feudal battle. I’ve wanted to see a “Cold War” style conflict for a long time. Deception, long-cons, complex and intricate plans, underhanded maneuvers, back room deals, Faustian pacts and widespread espionage. Characters leading dual lives, double agents, dead drops, things of that nature. It would be a tense and dramatic conflict like any other; but one that could end without gratuitous bloodshed.

11. jwcoombs

Thing is though; the Commonwealth clearly has a very staunch and strict caste system( haves and have-nots). So strict it seems that certain people aren’t even allowed to move and live as freely as it appears. Also, the “American Dream” possibility for the advancement of one’s station within the community seems to be a poorly constructed facade. Seems to me upon interview and placement that you are what you were, end of discussion. For me what this all boils down to in an election scenario is.....who the hell is counting the ballots?

12. Neuropyramidal

Yeah its possible the elections are rigged, and maybe that's something we will find out, but on the face of things the way they are presented, I just don't see an immediately need for a coup orchestrated by Rick's group. It seems like the people of Commonwealth have issues they need to sort out, but no big crimes against humanity that require war or some other dire measure. I feel like if I were Rick i'd just go home. Check up on the Commonwealth from time to time, in hopes that things were becoming more fair.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lastcat3

@jwcoombs cold wars genarally happen when both sides are scared of each other. Commonwealth has no reason to be scared of the Alexandria communities. And while some people might be willing to take Rick's side there at the same time wouldn't be anywhere enough to make the two sides even remotely equal. Also if any type of fighting was inevitable the individuals that did leave with Rick would have to get their heads examined if they still chose to stay after seeing how weak Alexandria is in comparison to Commonwealth.

#13 lastcat3, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  14. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Dwight is dead?!?! YES

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I liked this issue. I know I'm the minority here but I agree with Rick. Michonne caused that to happen. She put Rick and Dwight in that position. You can tell it pained Rick to kill Dwight right then and there he was happy to do it... before he even said he wasn't happy to. Dwight was only trying to fight for the good of the people, I like how he compared Pamela to Negan only in it for the power. I can't wait to see where this go how Rick and Michonne's interactions will change from here. I wasn't thrilled on how Dwight has been developing over the past few issues but it saddened me to see him go I did like the journey he has had.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jwcoombs

That is, unless Rick and the gang possessed some type of equalizer. Be it “macguffin” style or otherwise. Although nothing of the sort has been even slightly hinted at there is something that comes to mind. Firstly, Pamela did seem to be genuinely intimated by Rick and his militia. Not necessarily by their size or armaments but by their skill, capabilities and general scrappiness. Second, coming back to the equalizer possibility; I agree that their most likely would not be enough Commonwealthers jumping the fence to balance the numbers. But, what if we’re not talking civilians? What if the majority of the Commonwealth’s security force defected? It’s apparent that their “general” is fed up with the status quo and would most definitely side with Rick if it came down to it; and in most chain of command scenarios the men fall in line with their commander. In my opinion that could be the perfect sort of chess move that could spark a legitimate Cold War scenario. Would be interesting too.

17. BadassRick

BadassRick Active Member

Just completed 186. Had I heard another person say "This place just needs some improvement", I would have a cracked Iphone screen right now.

I agree that Rick was right to call out Michonne. While she is right that Dwight was unhinged, I don't know what good she expected from sneakily inviting Pamela in the first place.

I came away from the last issue believing both Rick and Michonne were privileged and out of touch. I still think that of Rick, but I believe the more he gets exposed to what's really going on, the more he will come around.

Michonne on the other hand is borderline too far gone. I don't want to say it's too late for her yet, but it's going to take a whole lot more to get her to do anything that'll jeopardize the nice set-up her and her daughter have.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Knew you'd be pleased! LOL

We're just missing Honda's "Ew. Dwight."

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. kennyisalive94-the sequel

You sir, have been waiting to say that for about 97 years. I must admit, I admire your patience.

20. kennyisalive94-the sequel

Ah...Dwight. Well, the memories will never go away.

I won't pretend like my heart's not broken. I mean, the only reason I've come back here after over 2 years which will no doubt piss off everyone again for...reasons, it's just to talk about Dwight, and ok, maybe, maybeee troll a little, but idk. Who knows!

I feel like it was all forced. Michonne has spent 2 seconds with this Pamela bitch and all of a sudden she's pussy whipped by her and ****s over Rick and Dwight. Like, what the ****?

And I know everyone hates Dwight for like, cheap reasons like him killing Abraham. (as if they would've done any better in his situation, getting their face burned off and their wife stolen by a guy who has 500 soldiers at his disposal. Oh yeah, it's totally all Dwight's fault. He should've done things differently...somehow. yeah, bs.) But I know a lot of people hate Dwight on here. It is what it is, it can't be un-done that he's dead.

What I don't understand is how this happened. Dwight lasted 89 issues- he, for the most part, always kept a cool head and seemed like a reasonable human being who would know that taking on 50 thousand people isn't a good idea. But then you know, Robert fatass Kickfuck has to force plot, so Dwight suddenly becomes this rambling maniac out of nowhere that wants to kill Pamela and has no patience and wants things now-now-now. It just made no damn sense to me.

I know Robert Kirkman forgot about this, he must be suffering from Alzheimers or something, but Dwight had fans. I mean, his story has been going on for 6-7 years in real life. People like Dwight, it's not just me I promise. They're out there. And this was a HUGE slap in the face to them out of nowhere. Dwight had done some pretty legit shit helping Rick out, leading a militia, fighting the whisperers and winning. But now all of a sudden Rick "put him out of his misery like a wild animal, also, he killed Abraham so **** him" out of batshit NOWHERE. Like I said, slap in the face to the many poor bastards that liked him.

Dwight will always be my favorite character in the animated world, in comics/cartoons. Maybe not as far as actors and their performances, but as far as anime/comics, Dwight will always be my favorite character. It mean, it is what it is. This is life, shit happens.

One more thing, though. He lasted 89 issues. He was ONE ISSUE AWAY from that 90 issue milestone, and also one issue away from 2019. Robert Fatfuck Dumb-butt Kirkman really blue-balled the Dwight fans hardcore. Eh.

And I know there's a lot of people that have been wanting him to die since his introduction in 2012 or whatever, but at least he lived all the way to the last month of 2018. Ok, now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go remind the mods to ban me again in case they forget.

Chillio! Or whatever the phrase is.