Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 188 Discussion

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Overall I liked the issue. At first glance, the entire Princess detour seemed slightly pointless, but I think in combination with her abusive backstory from last issue, the realization this issue that she really does need people, and she is ready to finally fully open up and be a member of a group and have a relationship, will serve to make the reader understand why she is so invested in helping fight when she goes back to the Commonwealth and discovers Mercer is in jail.

I'm a little worried for Eugene, because anything is possible, but I don't feel like this is his death arc. More likely, I can see this as Stephanie's demise, which would serve as the final straw catalyst for the civil war. The people discover that Pamela ordered to soldiers to "abandon" one of their citizens at the train yard, causing her death, and thus the uprising finally begins. Everything comes into place at once: The people find out Mercer is imprisoned, Laura riles up the sympathetic guards, Princess discovers Mercer is imprisoned, and then the people find out Stephanie was killed due to her abandonment by guards at Milton's order....

The perfect storm.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The letter hacks also confirmed that more time is passing than we are shown. Kirkman stated that Michonne has been at the Commonwealth for many months now, and that time passes "here and there", and that he feels it would be tedious to go out of his way to show us this chronology. So this helps explain why everyone is worried back home. It doesn't explain why they didn't think of the radio, but.....

He also confirmed what we had already kind of pieced together; that it takes a week or so to travel between the Commonwealth and the home communities.

3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Good issue. The main point of it really seemed to be to set Carl up to be an official leader in the future. Yeah the Princess scene did seem a little off. Since Princess already knew them it would have made a whole lot more since for her to quietly go up to them and warn them of the danger.....but oh well.....since Princess has already been established as being a quirky character I guess it is alright.

I'm really looking forward to being done with this introduction of Commonwealth storyline at this point. Not sure if it is going to be the main focus of the comic from here on out with everyone eventually moving there but this initial story involving Pamela hasn't come together very well and am looking forward to moving on from it.

Yeah @Neuropyramidal indeed it seems Kirkman's opinion of the passage of time is quite different from what a lot of fans think. For me as soon as I start seeing them walking around in short sleeve shirts again I'm going to say about a year has passed since issue 127. In the New Beginning arc it was pretty clear it was warm to hot weather outside so as soon as we see the same type of atmosphere being drawn I think we can officially say a year had passed since then.

In terms of ages......since I like paying attention to that stuff.....by issue 200 I'll probably move Carl up to 14, Sophia up to 15, and Lydia up to 17.