Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Ones Who Live

Discussion in 'TWD Rick Grimes Movies Discussion' started by BlackBird, Feb 27, 2024.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Well, it ain’t a movie trilogy but a mini series, but the first episode could well have been part of a movie. What a spectacular opening - and Rick Grimes is BACK.

Now the question is: is there ANYONE left here who’d be watching this show with me?

2. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

The only thing I will give this show is that it does seem to be a little better than most of the other attempts at shows this universe has tried to put out there. But that 'aint saying much. And I'm sure a lot of people tuned out the moment Rick cut his damn hand off in order to try to escape. I am honestly how dumb can your writers be? How does someone's chances of escaping improve if they cut one of their own limbs off? On what planet does it make sense to freely cut one of your own hands off in a post apocalyptic world?

THe show was still extremely poorly written and had a very weak plot just like most everything with the title of Walking Dead attached to it has been since about 2017 or so. Andrew Lincoln and Danai just do a little better job of lifting up weak material than Norman Reedus or Lauren Cohan do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlackBird

Hi, Lastcat3!

How about Merle? He chopped off his hand to get off the roof?

I think the point was to show how desperate Rick was to escape, and perhaps that his thinking was already clouded and distorted by his desperation.

Creatively, I think it was a poignant callback to Merle, and the time when Negan nearly made him do this to Carl. And of course Aron losing his hand. And Lydia. How losing a hand is not the end of the world, it’s a necessity of the moment and then you get to live. Or be free in this case. Which in Rick’s case equals living.

Regarding the quality of writing I have to disagre. I thought the episode was very well written. Maybe the dream sequences were a bit weird but as they were dream sequences, I guess they were meant to be weird.

Danai and Andrew are actually Co-producers on this show, have had enormous creative input, and Danai even wrote episode 4 and she was also the show runner for that episode. So Gimple had some reins on his crazy plots by having these two around and also guidance from Andy and Danai, who know their characters inside and out.

So I have high hopes for this series. Loved the opening episode - and I’m totally over the moon that, judging by what we’ve seen, we only get one episode each for their backstories, and then they will be together for the last four episodes. Perfect.

I don’t trust Gimple, but I fully trust Andy and Danai.

Oh, and I thought Norman was awesome in the Daryl Dixon show, which I loved. (I still haven’t seen Dead City so can’t comment on that.)

4. BlackBird

Wow. Episode 2. This is The Walking Dead at its best, I’d say.

What a beautiful love story this is, oh my heart. And this was one of the best reunions ever.

And Nat? Such a fabulous new character. And such a tragic shame to have him around for only one episode. Dammit. He was so good, and his presence so rich and warm and funny, that I feel like we’ve known him forever.

The situation Rick and Michonne are finding themselves now is so complex, - can’t wait to see how it will unfold. Just please don’t let Michonne die for Rick. I’m taking courage from the plural in the title of the series.

And Jadis. What a colossal bitch. But I guess she can’t help them escape because she’d be immediately implicated.

Michonne is not going to just leave, is she? She wants to avenge her friends first. This will all get very complicated. But love will win through in the end, surely?

I hope more TWD fans will return to this mini series - it’s just so rewarding.

• Like Like x 1