Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Plot Hole

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Kage Kazumi, Feb 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Kage Kazumi

Kage Kazumi New Member

Reader,

Alright so I'm not one to nit pick, but when the science of the television says one thing and the characters say another this leaves quite a big plot hole in the series. Now as you may know the zombies in TWD can smell and at first I was like bull $h!t zombies are dead, so their lungs don't work (which you can smell with out breathing; you can prove this by taking a Sharpy and sniffing it. Hold it to your nose and hold your breath no scent). However, I looked past this and was like maybe it is the science in the show.

However, then near the last episode in season 1 when they are at the CFDC and the scientist shows them the video of his wife dying and then coming back (as a zombie) he says that the brain is the ONLY organ that comes back and starts working.

By this very science in the TV show then logic says the zombies can not breath if their lungs do not function.

So What do you think?

v/Respectfully,
    Kage Kazumi

2. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

Lame.

You are trying really hard to not enjoy the show...

3. Kage Kazumi

Kage Kazumi New Member

That's an ignorant fanboy comment.

I enjoy the show very much and there is nothing wrong with discussing plot holes in TV shows or movies we like. I never said I hated the show because of it. I simply pointed out a plot hole. If your not going to add to the discussion and just derail the topic do so else where please.

If anyone else has noticed plot holes feel free to tell us and discuss it.

v/Respectfully,
    Kage

4. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Going out a limb here, but one way to look at it is this...

Zombies groan do they not? In order to do so, they have to pull air into the lungs so that it can be expelled passed the vocal cords to do so. By pulling in air, molecules pass over the receptors that allow the brain to smell (smelling takes place in the brain, not the nose). Never did the lungs extract CO2 or other trace gasses from the air, therefor you can say the lungs do not work.

Really though, discussing the anatomy and physiology of zombies is like pissing on a forest fire. Fun, but pointless.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/chems.html

#4 Duzy, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Much like every other movie or television show, there are small inconsistencies sprinkled throughout. This one in particular I don't mind at all. If anything, the entire purpose of Jenner's explanation was to put somewhat of a conclusion to the series in case it wasn't renewed for a second season.

If you've seen the special edition dvd you know that they later went in and changed the script for 106 in the eleventh hour because they knew there would be a second season, but the "explanation" remained.

Anyway, as I always say....it doesn't matter what caused the dead to rise or how they do it. It's all about the survivors.

6. Kage Kazumi

Kage Kazumi New Member

You can't inhale with out your lungs though. Through your mouth or nose. Plus inhaling air through the mouth is not smelling because the sensors connected to the bain are located in the nose. Groaning or talking requires breathing; hence why people lose their breath when they talk to long. Groaning is a sound just as a voice is and requires you to take a breath every now and then.

Plus the argument is based on the SCIENCE IN THE SHOW and not based on simple logic of real science.

Actually yes it does matter to some degree. When a writer writes either fantasy or science fiction, horror, etc it has to be realistic in some fashion or form other wise the view will dismis it as bogus or ill-logical. In this case the actual show says they can smell; okay I can accept that. However, when the show then says that the brain is the only functioning organ then by the science in the show logic says they shouldn't ba able to smell.

Yes I know this; its nothing knew and doesn't change that its a good series, but a little research and taking time could have prevented this minor plot hole.

#6 Kage Kazumi, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

You inhale with your diaphragm (a muscle). It changes pressure in the cavity (where your lungs are) drawing air in. Other things can draw air in as well. Moving your body in such a way as to create a pressure differance in your lungs will work as well. Your mouth and nose are connected via the sinus cavity. When you breath with your mouth open, unless you consciously try to not allow air in your nose, air will go through there in trace amounts. I highly doubt that zombies give a shit and breath through both. That is speculation though since I have yet to interview a zombie and ask about how he/she breaths so it can groan.

8. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I understand what you're getting at and I totally understand. However, I came into this comic/tv series as a devoted fan of Romero's original trilogy(Night, Dawn, Day). To me, it doesn't matter how this all started or how they operate, I just want to see how the survivors make it day-by-day. There can always be hints as to what caused the dead to walk or what abilities they have, but in the end none of it is proven and none of it is important to the story. For example, in Romero's Night of the Living Dead it's speculated by a news person that it's caused by a satelite returning from Venus with radiation. That may be a fine point to speculate, but the meat and the potatoes of the story is very far from that.

In the end, any good horror story is about the people. Not the monster in the dark or how the monster came to be.

9. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

During the CDC episode Jenner states (paraphrasing here) that only the most basic functions come back, so one can assume that the most essential element for survival is to eat, hence the zombies converge on the living like the fat kid on chocolate cake!
    One has to suspend belief in reality somewhat, and not hold the show to rigid laws of nature and physical makeup, after all it is just a "once upon a time" story...a throwback to the days when we were kids and used to shoot each other with our index finger in the backyard and scream, "You're dead!"
    Just like Bobby Knight once said about rape, "Just lean back and enjoy it!" ... :shining:

10. marsyao

marsyao Member

Plot hole? Well, in the TV show, People's cloths are too clean, their hair looks too good, their hands and finger nails are not dirty, there no holes on their shoes, and their socks are still white.

11. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

I do not recall the scientist claiming that the brain is the only working organ. I recall him saying that only the most primitive functions of the brain work. Which by this logic would and could make the lungs potentially functional. This would include making other organs operable to a greater or lesser degree.

However, I am going to be re-watching that episode soon, so if I do hear him saying what you claimed, I'll let you know either way.

12. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

And don't forget how perfect the lipstick looks.

13. marsyao

marsyao Member

Ladies with no makeup, spend every day in 100 degree in the woods, most likely could not take bath for days

14. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

You are referring to Transthoracic pressure, which pertains to pressure gradient inside the cavity, oppose to outside or ambient pressure. When the pressure gradient inside the thoracic cavity is less than outside or ambient, air will enter. There does still need to be nerve receptors to carry out the breathing which are connected to the brain. As for trace amounts of air getting in to cause moaning, I can agree to that. But smelling requires inhalation via nasal cavity. If the brain is functioning at a primitive level (which is the only claim I saw the scientist make about the brain not that it was the only thing working), then that can happen.

15. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

And yet they still look some what like beauty queens. lol

16. marsyao

marsyao Member

Why would Shane lock his eye on Lori ?

17. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Just watched it again. He definitely did not claim this to be the only organ capable of working. He claimed that the only part of the brain that is revived is the brain stem region, while the lobes and what makes the person who they were remain dead. His subject, the wife took a breath during the second event.

18. AVC

AVC Member

It's a moot point.
    They are the undead that rise up again. By that rationale, all the biology and physiology go out the window anyway. Normal rules don't really apply.

There is no circulation, so all the muscles (which are obviously still working, albeit not very coordinated) are operating anerobically. That is, without the massive amount of blood borne oxygen required.

Essentially, the zeds must undergo some significant metabolic changes, at a molecular level. So in other words, they can make up whatever they like. Sort of like vampires, there are no rules.

19. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Well there is one! Peeps bleed through their eyes when being choked out by a zombie...:shining:

20. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

Plot hole: In real life Zombies do exist (Voodoo/Haiti), but they don't eat flesh...this show is so ridiculous, I guess the writers are the dumbest people alive.

This is the stupidest thread I have seen on here. And that is saying something.