Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Differences between the comics and the show

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by fatbrett2, Aug 7, 2011.

1. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

If you are too lazy/cheap to read the comics, but want to know how they differ from the TV series, this should help fill in the gaps. I will try to pass over the more trivial things. For instance, in the comics, Rick puts on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before leaving the hospital, but in the show, he travels to his house in his hospital gown. This information is neither important nor interesting, so who cares?

1. In the TV show, Rick is from a small town in Georgia, but in the comics, he is from a small town in Kentucky.

2. In the comics, we never see Shane visit Rick in the hospital; the little girl Rick shoots in the beginning of episode one doesn't exist in the comics.

3. The TV show delays Rick's first encounter with zombies a bit - in the comics, he finds a barred door (but it doesn't have "Don't Open - Dead Inside" written on it), opens it, and finds a cafeteria full of walkers.

4. Morgan's zombie wife is not in the comic books. Rick never gives Morgan a radio in the comics; he does however give him a police car.

6. In the comics, when Rick enters Atlanta, he does see a tank, but neither he nor anyone else ever crawls under/hides inside of it. After being pulled from his horse, he just runs, and is suddenly grabbed and pulled into an alley by Glenn. He also never drops his bag of guns.

7. After Glenn rescues Rick in the comics, they do not meet up with other survivors inside the city. They just run/sneak past the walkers, and run back to the camp, which is where Rick finds his family and where he first meets everyone (except Glenn, who he met in the city, and Shane, Lori and Carl, who he already knew). The campsite is also MUCH closer to the city - only a few hundred yards away - so they escape on foot.

8. In the comic books, Shane never tells Lori that Rick is dead. He just helps her and Carl get out of the city; on the road, and in a moment of desperation and weakness, Lori sleeps with Shane once and immediately regrets it. In the TV show, it seems to be an ongoing relationship.

9. There are a number of people on the TV show who do not exist in the comics: Merle, Daryl, Jacqui, Morales and his family, and all the people in the campsite who never had speaking roles and were killed in the zombie attack. There is a large, black former-football player named Tyreese in the comics, but no "T-Dawg". I assume they are in fact the same person.

10. Carol is in the comics, but she is not married to Ed, she is a single mom. There is a character a little like Ed, but his name is Allen and he has 2 twin sons, and a wife named Donna. He is not an abusive husband or father.

11. In the comics, because Rick didn't drop the guns and Merle doesn't exist, Rick never leads a second group of people into the city. On one occasion, Glenn leads Rick to a gunstore where they become trapped and it is then that they smear themselves with zombie guts and sneak around them. Again, the campsite is close enough to the city for them to escape on foot.

12. Because no second group goes back for Merle or the bag of guns, they never meet the Vatos or visit a nursing home. In fact, they don't meet any other survivors until they reach Herschel's farm.

13. In the comics, shortly after they meet, Dale warns Rick that a) no one likes or trusts Shane, and b) Shane is in love with Lori.

14. In the comics, Rick and Shane get into an arguement about whether they should leave the campsite. Shane punches Rick in the face. Shortly afterwards, Rick and Shane are alone in the woods and Shane pulls a gun out and prepares to kill Rick. Carl (who is already carrying a gun at all times) has secretly been following them, and he shoots Shane through the throat, killing him almost instantly. Only after Shane is dead do the others decide to leave camp.

15. Absolutely NOTHING from the final episode of season 1 ("TS-19") happens in the comics. This episode is the largest deviation from the original story so far, except maybe for Merle/Daryl being there. The characters on the TV show already know FAR more about the disease and its effect on the rest of the world than the comic book characters do. Actually, there has never been any mention of other countries in the comics, and no one has been able to tell them anything about what the disease is, how it started, what it does, etc. No one has tried to reach the CDC.

16. In the comics, the survivors quickly begin calling the walkers "zombies", and admit it seemed silly to say that word at first, but soon felt more natural. Frank Darabont, Robert Kirkman, etc have made it clear that this will not happen in the TV series. In the universe of the TV show, the word "zombies" doesn't exist, and neither do the movies of George Romero.

#1 fatbrett2, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Great list! One of my favorite characters that I hope makes the series is Abraham Ford. Of course not being able to say "****" will take a little of the vinegar outta his piss. My favorite quote from the entire series thus far has got to be this tear about herds:

“That shot I just fired was heard in all directions for a long damn distance. Two miles? Three? **** if I know—but a long damn way. Let me tell you how the world works since you ****ers don’t seem to have been paying attention for the last goddamn year of hell on earth we’ve been living. Every rotten dead-alive **** who just heard that shot is going to get up and start following that sound. That sound means people and people means MEAT. Some of them are close, and may actually make it to this area since you’ve decided on a stationary camp—that’s a problem. Most of them can’t walk a straight line and are as dumb as a post—they’ll lose interest or walk off in the wrong damn direction. But sometimes… not every time… one will walk by another one—and that one will get up and follow. Then they’ll meet more and they’ll meet more and more and more and more. You see where I’m going? They’ll form a big group—and sometimes these groups will encounter another group—and they’ll merge. What you end up with is hundreds of these undead ****s—walking, nonstop, following a sound they’ve all forgotten. They’re walking because everyone else is walking and everyone else is walking because they’re walking. They’re stupid as ****. But these massive groups of roaming zombies, did you call them ‘roamers’? That’s cool. These ****ing groups are called HERDS. They’re bad ****ing news.” -Sergeant Abraham Ford

I love how the show remains faithful enough to the source material to keep the foamers happy and mixes it up enough to keep us guessing. I just can't say enough good things about this show! I literally have not been this giddy for TV since I was a child and the new fall Saturday morning cartoon line-up would air.

3. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Wow...I have nothing left to say. Great post!

4. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Season 2 Update:

In the first 2 episodes of the second season, I picked up the following changes.

1) The herd thing doesn't happen in the books, and Sophia never goes missing. T-Dawg/Tyreese is never injured.

2) Between the camp and the farm, the survivors find a walled community, move in, and are chased out by lots of zombies.

3) Otis shoots Carl because he thinks he is a zombie, not because he can't see him. The bullet hits him in the back and lodges in his shoulderblade, so the injury is nothing life-threatening, and Shane doesn't need to go on a suicide mission (which is fortunate, because he is already dead).

4) Dale and Andrea are an item already by this point in the comics; since the CDC thing never happened, they have nothing to fight about and Andrea was never suicidal.

4) Herschel has MANY children, most of whom are still alive when the survivors find the farm.

5. inkerchris

inkerchris Member

Amazing post!

6. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Oh, and in the comics, they have already gotten through the first summer/fall, then most of the winter, and it is late winter/early spring when they find the farm.

7. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Was it ever mentioned where Rick originally comes from in the TV show? I don't think it ever says where exactly he's a sherriff.

I was disappointed we didn't get this scene in the tv series, but I suppose it's more dramatic for Rick to find the bodies and slowly see that some are "living". They say on the special features of the SE DVD that he was also supposed to find the pile of bodies at the bottom of the stairs, but they cut it out for dramatic reasons.

I had wondered this myself, but in the latest episode he reveals his name is actually Theodore. I'm still hoping Tyrese makes his way into the show because as you know, he plays an important role in things to come.

8. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Perhaps Shane will fill those roles in Tyreese's absense? That'd be a kick in the teeth!

9. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I think he says he's from Georgia at some point, and in any case, a walkie talkie on the outskirts of Atlanta isn't going to be able to reach into Kentucky or any other state. He is from Georgia.

10. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, but didn't he also tell Morgan to turn on the Walkie Talkie when he gets near the city? I thought that was the whole reason for "a few minutes everyday at dawn" and "I don't know if you can hear me.."? Because Rick isn't sure if he's within range yet? In the same way that the camp could hear rick in episode 101, but he couldn't hear them?

11. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I forget where, but at one point he says he's from King's County, Georgia. His truck has Georgia plates, and so did his squad car. He also told Morgan not to come to Atlanta as soon as he got his walkie talkie back. And he was still a long way from the city when they heard him on the radio - he hadn't run out of gas or found the horse yet.

12. Chreees

Chreees Member

Excellent post!!! I'm about to start reading the comics. Can't wait for this Sunday's show!

13. lapper

lapper New Member

in the comic andrea is a badass marksman and tougher like ripley/sarah conner. a still shot from episode 5/season 2 shows her on the roof with a sniper rifle. so hopefully this change will happen.

14. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Indeed it has begun.

15. David Speakman

David Speakman New Member

Zombie herds are in the books.

Yeas it does: A herd of "about 2000 or more" zombies is first encountered by Rick Grimes, Carl Grimes, Morgan Jones in Issue 59 of the comics.