Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Comic Book scenes that will NEVER be shown on TV

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by fatbrett2, Aug 19, 2011.

1. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Yes, there may be some HUGE spoilers in here but remember the show is very different from the comics, so this stuff may not come up in the show at all. In any case, I can't imagine the network's censors (or lawyers/standards and practices goons) allowing the following events to be portrayed on basic cable.

1. Herschel's Daughters: We don't see the murder taking place in the comics, only the aftermath - two girls, no more than 10 years old, in a pool of blood with their severed heads beside them. The heads then revive as zombie-heads, despite the fact that the girls were never bitten.

2. Michonne's Imprisonment: Michonne is captured by the evil "Governor" and kept chained up, half naked, in a dungeon for days. The Governor beats and rapes her repeatedly.

3. The Governor's Daughter: The Governor has a daughter, about 5 years old, who has become a zombie. Not only does he chain her up and feed her the body parts of his victims, he also removes her teeth and makes out with her... And he presumably has necrophilic/incestuous/zombie sex with her.

4. Michonne's Revenge: She escapes from her cell, finds the Governor, and takes vengance. She bores holes into his shoulder with a power drill; rips his fingernails out with a pair of pliers; hacks his arm off with her sword, then cauterizes the stump with a blowtorch; and finally, she shoves a spoon up his ass, pulls it out, and uses it to remove one of his eyeballs.

5. Tyreese's Execution: Tyreese is captured by the Governor, who then leads an armed convoy to the prison, and appears outside the prison gates with Tyreese in shackles. He says that if Rick and the others do not open the gates and surrender the prison to the Governor's people, he will decapitate Tyreese. The ultimatum is ignored, and the Governor attempts to behead him; he is not as skilled with the sword as Michonne, however, and the first strike does not do the job. Nor do the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. I think the 5th time does the trick. Tyreese's head then revives as a zombie.

6. The Highway Attack: Rick, Carl, and Abraham are camping on the road one night when a small group of roving sociopaths finds them. They restrain Rick and Abe at gunpoint, and begin to strip Carl, explaining that they plan to rape him while his father watches, then kill all of them. They have Carl down to his tighty-whiteys when Rick breaks free; the scuffle allows Abe to overpower his captor, and Carl is saved. I think they kill all but one of the attackers immediately, but Rick saves at least one of them for special treatment - he basically disembowels him/them alive, and then hacks off chunks of him/them until he/they is/are dead.

7. The Cannibals, Pt. 1: A group of strangers stalks Rick's group, and abducts Dale. (Dale is in a sorry physical state already - during the stint at the prison, he was bitten on the ankle; Rick came up with the idea to amputate the injured leg just below the knee in an attempt to save Dale's life. It worked perfectly, but Dale had to learn to get along on an old-fashioned, pirate-style wooden peg leg.) The stalkers knock Dale out when he wanders into the woods one night. He wakes up to find the strangers have hacked off his remaining foot; it is roasting on a spit and the cannibals are already eating portions of it. They tell him they will keep him alive as long as possible, hacking off a little more every day or two, because there are no refrigerators to keep dead meat fresh. Dale informs them of the reason he was wandering into the woods alone at night - he had been bitten by a zombie and wanted to die alone, where he wouldn't be a burden or a menace to the others. The cannibals have been eating tainted meat.

8. The Cannibals, Pt. 2: The cannibals decide not to eat any more of Dale, for obvious reasons, but they will use him to panic the rest of Rick's group. Rick's group wakes up the morning after Dale disappeared, to find him laying outside their temporary shelter missing a leg. Rick decides to show the cannibals they are ****ing with the wrong people, and he leads an attempt to surprise and capture the cannibals; the attempt is a total success. Rick and the others procede to tear the cannibals apart slowly, and at least in part using only their bare hands.

9. Jessie and Ron: Rick and what remains of his group have found a walled community called the "Alexandria Safe-Zone" that has survived, more or less safely, behind their walls since the world started to fall apart. The people in the community have lost a few family members and friends, but they have not experienced ANYTHING like the brutal, never-ending chain of horrible loss, torture, death, murder, and mutililation that Rick and his group have endured.

The leader of the community realizes the ordeal Rick and his group have endured has made them far more vigilant to possible threats and vulnerablilities, and he invites Rick's group to live there. He also makes Rick the "Constable" of the community. Shortly after accepting his new job, Rick finds out a man in the community has been beating his wife and child. Rick beats the shit out of the guy, and the residents are horrified by the violence. Rick is restrained and possibly suspended; he insists the man is dangerous, but is ignored.

The man gets a knife and murders the leader's wife; the leader realizes Rick was right, orders Rick to kill the man, and then steps down and puts Rick in charge. Rick begins a relationship with a woman named Jessie, the wife... i mean widow... of the man he just killed. She and her son Ron move in with Rick and Carl.

The community comes under attack by a herd of hundreds of zombies, and the wall is breached. Zombies pour into the safezone, and the residents lock themselves into their houses. Rick, trapped with Carl, Jessie, Ron, and Michonne, decides to abandon the community and everyone in it (except the people trapped with him). They repeat Rick and Glenn's old trick - smearing themselves with zombie guts - and leave their house, attempting to sneak past the swarm of zombies. Rick is holding Carl's hand, Carl is holding Jessie's hand, and Jessie is holding Ron's hand.

Rick has forgotten that Ron isn't like Carl, he hasn't become as tough, as brave, or as badass as Carl. Ron is terrified, pisses his pants, and begins screaming that he wants to go back to the house. The zombies immediately grab the boy and begin devouring him; he screams "MOMMY!" and Jessie tries to pull him free of the horde. Rick tells her she can't do anything for Ron now, and she must run; she begs him not to leave her and refuses to let go of Carl's hand.

The zombies begin eating Jessie, and reaching for Carl. She still won't release her grip on Carl, who is beginning to panic. Rick pulls out his trademark hatchet, and with 3 quick strikes, he almost completely severs her hand at the wrist, leaving it dangling from her arm by a strip of skin. He and Carl continue their escape attempt. (Later, Abe and Glenn will find and kill a zombie-Jessie, the severed hand still dangling from the stump)

10. Carl's Accident: Just after the hand-removal, the former leader of the community is mobbed by zombies, and as he goes down he fires his handgun wildly several times. Rick and Michonne duck and are not injured, but a turn of the page reveals a huge 2-page spread, showing Carl, still wearing his dad's hat. There is a massive hole where his right eye, temple,and ear should be, and a significant portion of his head is missing. He says "Dad?" in a faint voice, then collapses.***

***Note: For those who haven't read these issues (or any) of the comics yet, I feel it would be cruel to tell you Carl got half his face blown off and not tell you whether he is alive or dead. Here's the rest of the story, in a nutshell...

Rick realizes that Carl is still breathing, but it is clear he will die without immediate medical attention; he decides he must abandon his plans to... abandon... the community, and takes Carl to the home of the community's doctor. He tells the doctor he will stay outside and hold the zombies off for as long as possible. Michonne joins Rick, and they make a desparate last stand against a couple hundred zombies, armed with only her sword and his hatchet (and his stump).

Abe sees Rick and Michonne, realizes they are going to be killed, and runs out to help them fight; his chick (actually, his new chick AND his old chick) follows. Some of the residents gradually join in, and soon there are 10 or more people fighting 100+ zombies, armed with clubs, axes, bats, hatchets, hammers, crowbars, and one samurai sword; the battle is surprisingly short, and there are hundreds of dead zombies piled up around the doctor's house.

Glen, Andrea, and a couple of other guys were trapped outside the community's walls, behind the zombie horde, since the attack began. They manage to lure away most of the hundreds or thousands of zombies still outside the walls, and they return to the community to help clean up. Rick begins plans to strengthen the walls, set up defesive obstacles, barricades, and trenches outside the walls, and to arm everyone in the community. He is thinking this way in part because Carl obviously can't be moved, and in part because he is genuinely amazed that a dozen people could kill hundreds of zombies in a few minutes, using no firearms at all.

Carl lays in a coma for several days, then wakes up and asks "What happened to me? Where's Mom?". Whether he will survive is still unclear, but he apparently doesn't remember the events of the previous several months, including his mother's death at the prison. (Carl asking these questions is literally the last panel of the last page of the most recent issue I have read - as of August 19, 2011 - but I will read the newest issue tonight)

#1 fatbrett2, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Wow man nice post!

3. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

4. Strawberries

Strawberries Member

As long as they don't take out the part where a certain short person shoots another taller person through the neck, I'm happy.

5. Hunk

Hunk Member

I just don't see them giving a little boy a gun........due to it being on tv and all. I sure wish they would. I was 7 years old when I first shot a gun... I mean a zombie apocolypse? Everything goes out the window. GIVE CARL A GUN! lol

6. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

.....I take it you haven't seen episode 207? ;)

I've missed this thread until now. While I agree to an extent Brett, I also think AMC can actually get away with a lot of these things. They're a pretty ballsy network for basic cable. Plus they could always do the "off screen" trick if need be.

#6 Bassman, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. Chreees

Chreees Member

I agree, Bassman. Much will have to be alluded to off-screen. I hope the majority of these events will be included in the show, as they are the best moments of the comics. :)

8. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

they have not shied away from beheadings of zombies...

9. Hunk

Hunk Member

He gave Carl a gun last episode?? Wtf, I didn't catch that.. obviously.

10. bew1977

bew1977 Member

The only ones that will be a problem pertain to the Governor, really. I think AMC has shown they can get away with a lot on basic cable with gore and mature story themes. At the rate the show and the comic are separating themselves though, it seems like some of these won't happen because the characters just don't exist.

(And how could you forget Billy and Ben?!? That was a defining moment for Carl!)

11. youngjohn12

youngjohn12 New Member

The only ones that will be a issue relate to the Governor, really. I think AMC has proven they can get away with a lot on primary wire with gore and older tale styles. At the amount the present and the comedian are removing themselves though, it seems like some of these won't occur because the people just don't are available.

12. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

You are 100% correct, and I definitely missed a big one. I think I left it out because Billy and Ben don't exist. Herschel's youngest daughters don't either, but I wrote the original post during/just after season 1.

13. Peanut Q. Public

i do think they'll put some of the things you said in the show. but as far as the rapes, i can see them being, if not eliminated, then alluded to offscreen.

14. tragictwist

tragictwist New Member

I'm looking through old posts here, so I apologize if I should have left this one to die haha.

I think so far, Hershel's daughter Beth is still alive in the show only to be killed off. I have a feeling AMC might not drop the murders in the prison entirely. I also think the inmates will be present... maybe not all of them, but Dexter and Thomas- I have a strong feeling about them.
    I also believe the Governor's "daughter" could be present, but no, I don't believe the show will take it as far as the comics did.
    I agree with every thing else however, except possibly Jessie and Ron. I'm not sure how long Lori will be around in the show, so this is tough to tell.

Billy and Ben would have been an excellent addition to the show! I am extremely disappointed that they were completely forgotten.

15. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

Responses to your scenes you chosen that will not be shown.

1. They can use Beth and show that she was stabbed. Pretty much decapitating any human being on a show is probably not allowed on TV period.

2. The rape can be implied. It was barely shown in the comic. However, the media may react as a racist accusation as the same accusation happened in the comic book. The writers on the show may let that slide, but something has to drive Michonne in the TV show to get the Governor's arm chopped off and his eye missing.

4. Definitely won't be on TV. It was really disturbing to read even if it happened to a evil character. They will find an alternative torture I bet.

5. I don't even know if Tyreese is going to show up.

6. This can be on TV. I don't see a problem with this one. The bandit could grab on Carl without showing any sexual molestation and the scene could end with taking a bite on a bandit's neck.

7. Again, this can be shown. It doesn't have to be graphic. The cannibals seem to be a bit important to the storyline. It makes the journey to D.C interesting.

8. Read response 7.

9. Not sure about this one. The show has undead walker kids but I don't know about a scene where a kid would get eaten by walkers. Even if they don't show any gore, it most likely counts as a child in major peril.

10. Carl has been shot by Otis in the TV show and revived. Losing an eye, not a problem. Again, they don't have to show any detail.

I agree that some of the scenes won't make it on TV but I think some will or they will have a much alternative way to interpret that on TV keeping the same mood and atmosphere as the original source.

16. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

I don't think Lori will go down as in the comics, while taking the baby with her. I think she'll die before the baby is born as to avoid all that

17. andrea

andrea Member

That's kind of what they did with the comics. We see Michonne restrained and half undressed, and then we hear her and see Glenn's reaction to it. I will have to go back and look, but are there any frames of him actually mounting her? I can see them doing something very similar with the show.

18. andrea

andrea Member

I agree. Killing babies is one of the few things audiences have a hard time with. It's bad enough when they die of natural causes, but being crushed under the weight of their murdered mother? I just don't know about that. It's a lot less jarring in one frozen frame than on moving camera.

19. andrea

andrea Member

I agree with almost everything you have here, but I think we will see the toruture of the Governor to some extent. The popularity of the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo books and movies have increased our tolerance for viscious vigilante justice. And women, who typically are the ones who have problems with excessive violence, will, if not empathize with her, at least understand her brutality.

I think the only things we really won't see are the scenes that deal with children. Partly because there are less children on the show, but also because this gets into the realm of unacceptable violence. (kids and animals are off limits). AMC may decide to puch the boundaries, but I think it will be subtle and implied rather than overt when it comes to these story lines. With the exception fo Carl losing an eye. He survives and it would make for very suspenseful television.

20. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

Personally, I would like to see the death of Lori (and Judith) as experienced in the comic. I think it would add a lot of weight to the realism. However, if they do take an alternative route, I won't be upset. I can understand why that would be hard to show to a television audience.

And I'd like to see the Governor's daughter appear. I don't think there would be a problem with that.