Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Appropriate age to read?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by justafanaticfan, Feb 11, 2016.

1. justafanaticfan

So I just got compendium one. My son, who is 11, is really interested in zombie games, TWD show, etc. Should I let him read the comics? He's smart and mature for his age and he loves to read but I worry because I'm a mom and that's what moms do. Any thoughts?

2. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Should be fine. Just stick lots of post-it notes over any questionable images you don't want him to see.

3. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No notes is good notes.

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Have you read any of it yet?

I'm not going to say he shouldn't read it, because personally I believe a kid's reading should be guided by maturity, reading level, and interests.

However, the comic is very graphic -- much more than the show -- and you should be aware of that. There are parts that shocked or made me feel uncomfortable as an adult. The zombies are not the most scary parts. There is child murder, rape, torture, suicides, etc. If you haven't done so, I suggest reading through Compendium 1 yourself before making the decision to let your child read it.

5. justafanaticfan

I started reading it last night. I should be able to get through it this weekend. I do know the basic premise but I will definitely go through it first and make him skip pages that are really bad. Thank you for the help!

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

If he watches the show, I think he can read the comics. Any post-it you place over frames will just make him more interested in that frame lol. I agree with posters above, it depends on maturity level. If you have a resilient 10 year old, who understand it is fiction and isn't bothered by it, then they are fine. Another 14 year old might be disturbed by it, and it should probably be avoided. Depends on the kid.

7. Switch84

Switch84 New Member

I agree 100%! In fact I wouldn't let an 11 yr old read it or watch the show. 13 at the least.

8. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

lol

[​IMG]

9. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

I wouldn't let my kid read it - after Negans story arc I dropped F and C bombs at least 60% more often than I did before that - which was a lot.

[​IMG]

Not to mention some of the things that happen early on with Michonne, and the murders, suicides, mental breakdowns endured by characters.

10. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

Whooooops double post

11. RicksGal

RicksGal Member

Nope no way would I let my kids read it at that age. I wouldn't even let them watch the show at 11.

12. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

I know a few people with kids around that age that let them watch the show - I mentioned it to one of them and they didn't see how 'bad' a 'zombie show' could be.

And of course the lack of cursing and sex means it's 100% appropriate for kids. Yes.

I remember talking to my Dad after the 'look at the flowers' episode and him saying 'that's some of the heaviest stuff I've ever seen in a TV show'

13. RicksGal

RicksGal Member

It's really not appropriate for kids no wonder they are becoming desensitised to things

14. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

No, not appropriate for that age!

The comics are very graphic with mature themes beyond a little violence and swearing. Hard core rape, child murder, etc.

15. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let my child read the comic at such a young age even he is mature for his age i'd wait till he is older. The TWD Tv series show is rated iffy for 16+ i would want my son to continue to be a kid and stay sheltered for the time being. I'd be worried about nightmares!

16. Jay Bonansinga

Well 11 might be a tad bit young for the comics. I would start with the smash hit Walking Dead Graphic Novels! They are even New York Times Best Sellers I might add and just better written especially Invasion and Descent. They even have Lilly Caul, which I think most Walking Dead fans can agree, want to know more about. Your Tyke will love them!

Thank You~Jay

P.S The car chance scene at the end of Invasion is breath taking! The book should of won a Pulitzer Prize for that part alone!