Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Where that rascal Michonne went!

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

For those of you who read the comics and are interested in learning what happened to Michonne during her hiatus, yet are too lazy to play the game, the following is, in a nutshell, what happened to Michonne during the first chapter [of three] of the Telltale Game. At least the version that fleshed itself out with my decisions. Alternate decisions may make the story slightly different.

Michonne starts off alone, in the woods, hacking bushes and fighting off walkers. Intermixed in her fight sequence is a hallucination in which she is inside a strange room with 2 transfixed children looking at toys near a campfire. She battles with a few walkers in this room, occasionally transporting back to reality, where she battles the real walkers in the woods.

After defeating them, she holds a gun to her head, but decides not to go through with it, Just then, a man [Pete] approaches and reaches out his hand to her.

There is a 3 week time jump, and Michonne is now on a boat with Pete, in what I believe is a small tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. It is revealed that 2 of Pete's friends have been MIA for awhile, and Pete is trying to contact them on the boat's radio. Soon we learn there are more people on the boat [Siddiq from the comics, Oak, and Berto]. They argue some about plans, and the boat jerks as they hit something. Michonne discovers they have crashed into a sunken boat, and she sees a large Ferry tied up near shore through binoculars. Pete states that a part in the boat steering mechanism is broken, and he and Michonne jump in a little dinghy and head for the Ferry looking for a replacement part.

The dinghy is attacked by walkers in the water, and they both end up overboard but make it to shore. They climb a ladder to the top floor of the Ferry, and upon entering a room, discover dead bodies who seemed to be murdered execution style. They also find a photo of 2 children, who Pete states are the children of his two friends who are MIA. Upon entering another room, they find more massacred bodies and a sack full of goodies. As they attempt to gather supplies, a young man [Greg] and his sister [Samantha] appear with guns pointed at them. The argue over the sack, and soon all of them are surrounded by yet another group of people, headed up by Randall. Randall accuses Greg and Samantha of stealing the sack from his group, and they are all tied up, put into a small boat, and taken back to Randall's camp, called The Monroe, which consists of a group of several anchored boats floating in the water.

This group is headed by Norma, Randall's sister. They lock Michonne and Samantha in a room, tied to a beam, and take Pete and Greg somewhere else. Samantha tells Michonne that it was Randall who killed all the people on the Ferry execution style, including children. Michonne and Samantha break loose from the beam just as Randall enters the room. Michonne head butts him, but he subdues her and takes her to Norma.

Norma starts questioning Michonne, who swears she just met Greg and Samantha, and had nothing to do with stealing their stuff. Norma claims that Samantha's story regarding Randall killing the Ferry people is a lie. She claims a group of scavengers killed them and that Randall then killed the scavengers. Greg is brought to Norma next, and an interrogation proceeds during which Norma seems to conclude that both Greg and Michonne are lying. Occasionally a man named Zachary tries to intervene, stating that Michonne and Greg should be treated more kindly.

Eventually Randall takes Greg, Samantha, and Michonne into another room [where a doctor apparently lives], and gives Zachary a gun. He tells Zachary that he better start pulling his weight, and use the gun to make these people tell the truth. In the chaos, Zachary accidentally shoots Greg. Later, Greg dies, and Michonne kills his walker.

Zachary comes back later, surprised to see Greg has died, and Samantha manages wrestle the gun from him. Michonne in turn wrestles the gun from Samantha, and Zachary picks it up off the floor. The three of them stand there looking at each other, apparently unsure whether to trust each other, and the sounds of many approaching men are heard coming to the room.

Fade to black.

#1 Neuropyramidal, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

No. Michonne let Sam shoot him. That's definitely what happened.

when they were fighting over the gun I was like, "well... I'm not going to tell her to shoot the guy. But I'm definitely not going to stop her." It's like they read my mind.

#2 HondaS2kXD, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

4. Neuropyramidal

And the story continues....at least based on my decisions....

Zachary, Samantha, and Michonne hesitate, still unsure of each other, and another man, Jonas, bursts into the room. It turns out he's a pretty good fellow, apparently close friends with [maybe even in a relationship with] Zachary. Jonas and Zachary agree to help Michonne and Samantha escape. They sneak around the side of a boat, where Jonas/Zachary distract a guard, allowing Michonne to free Pete from a chair he is tied to under Norma and Randall's watch.

Norma catches Michonne in the act of freeing Pete, but Samantha jumps from a rooftop, knocking Norma down. Michonne attacks Randall before Randall can get his gun, eventually knocking him out. We then discover Samantha has also successfully dispatched Norma. The trio run off, but an alarm is sounded, alerting the entire camp to the escape. Pete/Michonne/Sam hide in a boathouse, but Pete surrenders, creating a distraction. Michonne/Sam eventually make it to a small motorboat and speed off, accidentally starting a fire with a flare gun in the process.

The make it to shore a few hundred yards from camp [which is seen in the background, now fully ablaze] but are immediately surrounded by a swarm of walkers. In good ole Michonne fashion, they create a pair of pet walkers and begin to make their way through the herd, while bullets begin to fly from behind [Randall and a few other men have caught up to them]. One of the bullets eventually kills Michonne's pet walker, and they run into the woods leaving Randall and some of his men to fight off the swarm.

Eventually they make it to the bottom of a ridge, where a large electric tower has fallen over, creating a mangled makeshift ladder. Sam reveals they must climb this to get over the ridge, to make it back to her house, where her father and siblings reside. They climb the tower, with several mishaps, and Sam is shot in the shoulder by Randal just as they make it to the top. The tower falls, almost killing Randall and crew, but they avoid it.

They continue the trek to Sam's family, but Sam eventually loses consciousness from blood loss. Michonne carries her, eventually discovering the family home, which is surrounded by a gate/wall. After some initial mistrust, Michonne is allowed to carry Sam into the living room, where they begin surgery to remove the bullet. It is removed and the wound cauterized with a fire poker, and in the process Michonne meets Sam's dad [John, a lawyer and kind of a hardass], two little brothers [Jaime and Alex], and a young woman named Paige.

After the surgery, Michonne has a flashback/hallucination during which we walk around her ex, Dominic's, apartment, trying to piece together clues regarding what happened to Michonne's daughters. The backdrop is the city, where we can see buildings on fire and hear police sirens. After the hallucination, Paige makes friends with Michonne, and then John does as well. He tells Michonne that his wife, Sophia, died of a heart condition in her sleep [she really killed herself], and then opens the gate to throw a severed walker arm outside. Just as he states "I am all my children have left", he is shot in the head by Randall, dying instantly.

Michonne manages to kill Randall's men as they invade the home, and eventually dispatches Randall himself, crushing his hands in a vice and holding him captive. Norma is contacted by walkie talkie, and tells Michonne she better not hurt Randall, and that more people were on their way. After much taunting by Randall, as he sits there helplessly bound in the vice, Michonne bashes his skull in with a wrench, killing him.

Fade to black.

#4 Neuropyramidal, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

This is cool...thanks for keeping us up to date with this story, as I don't play the game.

Is it considered Cannon?

6. Neuropyramidal

Yes, its canon to the comic. It covers what happened to Michonne during her absence after All Out War.

7. Neuropyramidal

8. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Yeah... Actually in my game, I let him talk to her and cut him off early so she thinks he's having radio problems. So I might just tell her I found him like that. Lol.

or I'll tell her that he was a sado masochist who put his hands in the vice himself and told me to twist, and even though we all advised him against it, he was adamant that the safe word should be "quick, smash my head in with that wrench."

9. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I was originally going to get the game on dvd but I heard that it is not coming out on dvd (only digital releases) so just decided to watch a no commentary playthrough off of youtube. Honestly am a little dissapointed with the story so far. The writing is average at best. I also don't feel like they nailed down Michonne's character real well either. Maybe it is just the decisions the person playing the game is making but it feels like the character resembles tv Michonne more than she does comic Michonne..

It doesn't feel like it is anywhere near the quality that the two regular TWD games starring Clementine have been. You can tell that TellTale didn't give the budget for this game that they did for TWD seasons 1 and 2. It feels like entire episodes revolve around one or two rooms and they don't allow you to explore like they do in the first two games.

We'll see how this last episode ends but I'm hoping season 3 is quite an improvement in quality over this game. I'm surprised more effort wasn't put into this game considering they are telling the official story of what happened to Michonne during the timeskip. The way it is this game feels like little more than a DLC. If all we were getting was a DLC I personally would have preferred a season 2 DLC over this because you would have basically already been told the main story in the season 2 game.

#9 lastcat3, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  10. Neuropyramidal

I actually was being stupid and kind of daydreaming while Randall was talking on the radio, and I let him keep on talking long enough to reveal their location and everything lol. When you let that happen, he actually makes fun of you, saying "hahaha, what are you, an idiot?? I can't believe you let me talk that long, I thought you were smarter than that...".

11. Neuropyramidal

I didn't feel like there was a drop in quality like that. But one thing I do think is lacking in both the Michonne games and TWD Season 2, are the puzzles. In Season one, we were constantly figuring things out, like using a TV remote to turn on televisions, thus distracting walkers, and using a screwdriver to remove a belt from a generator, thus making the farmer leave his post at the barn door. Those logic puzzles were part of why I loved the games so much initially. The puzzles in season 2 were scarce and lame [like picking up a key and just putting it into a key hole], and they've been pretty much non-existent in the Michonne series.

But other than that, I thought the quality of Season 2 and Michonne were relatively on par with each other so far. Maybe it felt lower because you weren't controlling it yourself, and watching a play through?

12. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Yeah as far as the way Michonne is acting in the playthrough I am watching that might just come down to the choices the person playing the game is making. She seems to be much more positive and helpful in the playthrough than what she is in the comic.

As far as some other things though I don't really get the impression that the people in this game have been living in an apocalyptic world for four years or more (hard to say exactly when in the timeline this takes place but a rough estimate would probably be around four years). The people in this boat community seem less adept at surviving then the characters in the season 1 game were and they had only been living in the apocalypse for a few months. Michonne is also way to quick to befriend these new people with everything she has been through in the comic.

Also I feel like this series is happening close enough to the comic group that their should be some significant acknowledgement in the comic that these events ocurred. I went back to the issue where Michonne arrives from the boat to see what is said and basically all she says was 'some s##t went down out there.' I would think that if Michonne got taken hostage by a group of people out there she would have definitely told Rick about it. Even if people like Norma are dead by the end of episode 3 there will likely still be members of that group still alive out there and would have caused Michonne to tell Rick.

At first I thought this might be the group that Eugene is talking to and Kirkman is planning on bringing characters from this game into the comic but it doesn't fit. The person Eugene is talking to seems to be a part of a group (or community of groups) much larger than ASZ or the Hilltop so he definitely isn't talking to anybody from this game.

I'm just beginning to get the impression that Kirkman has absolutely nothing to do with the stories outside of the actual comic. To me I feel that if TellTale was going to be using a character directly related to the comic Kirkman should have had significant involvement. In season 1 when TellTale used Glenn and Herschel they used them before they met Rick so it worked out just fine.