Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Will Negan survive the rest of the Whisperer War?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Series' started by BetterAngel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

I've loved this whole Whisperers story arc, and I've loved what they've done with Negan throughout this time as well. He really is a complex character on so many levels. It was strangely satisfactory to see him fighting on "our" side in this past issue. I even loved, in some deranged way, seeing him reunited with the Most Evil & Notorious Baseball Bat In History's reigning champion Lucille. And as I've mentioned before, it was when he "lost" her (I don't want to put in any specific spoilers, but if you aren't caught up on the comic, READ now lol!) that we finally got to see any real, sentimental emotion from him (not including anything here from Here's Negan). I really feel that this event is going to effect him. He's either going to fight relentlessly for Rick and the team's side to obliterate the Whisperers, or he's going to fight them for his own vengeful reasons and then slip back into his previous, sociopathic ways. That is, IF he makes it.

I'm wondering what you all think. Do you think that Negan will survive the Whisperer War? If so why or why not?

I am not totally sure. I think if he goes off the rails out of anger and pain, acting erratically could truly get him killed. But then again, it's really hard to picture Negan actually dying. Good or bad, that would literally be the loss of a comic legend. Plus, I think if he survives they could give him even more new development and story arc. I'm on the fence with this one!

2. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Obviously, I really want him to live. Forever.

I basically read every new issue terrified that he's finally going to die in some horrible and gruesome way. My only small shred of hope is because Kirkman seems to love writing him and Charlie has flat-out said that Negan is his favorite character to draw, so my fingers are crossed that those two wanna keep Negan around for a long time to come out of purely selfish, "he's my favorite" kind of reasons. LOL

As far as trying to estimate when Negan might die, my gut instinct from the start of the "Here's Negan" spin-off is that he won't die in The Walking Dead until his backstory is completed. Because it would be kinda awkward to still be reading about how Negan became Negan if Negan was already dead in the main series. That being said, Whisperer War arc ends with the January 2017 issue. And Here's Negan ends with the March 2017 issue of Image+.

Make of that what you will.

#2 DragonRacer, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I think Negan and Rick will end up killing each other. That would be a great ending for the Whisperer War, and the beginning of an uncertain era for the Walking Dead comic book.

4. BetterAngel

Wouldn't that be fitting?? Especially since Andrea has all but begged Rick to kill Negan after they took him captive. Although, I don't want to see Rick die yet, no, it's too soon lol! I wouldn't mind Negan being around a couple more years, either. At least long enough to maybe make us totally hate him again for awhile? lol. Plus, I know in the comics here Carl is getting really close to being able to lead. I feel that Rick may end up putting him in charge of the Sanctuary now that Dwight is gone (I think Michonne hinted at this subtly in a recent issue). I think after Carl has led for a bit, and become established, respected, feared (all that good stuff that comes with being a ZA leader), THEN it will truly be Rick's time to die. He needs to see that Carl can do it, that he's ready. Negan, I don't know [MENTION=107612]DragonRacer[/MENTION] made a good point about his backstory not being done until March of next year. So he will probably live that long. It will be interesting to see who gets to kill him eventually and why.

5. Rapscallion

Rick's got one arm, and he's got a hip injury that requires the use of a cane to help him walk; seeing Rick beat opponents who are physically fit is getting ridiculous. Negan has already become the Joker to Rick's Batman, and now Negan's bordering on being overused just like the Joker.

I'd like it if Carl just took leadership of the (surviving) group in memory of Rick, instead of a dying Rick granting him leadership. Carl should grow into the role of leaderships, make mistakes and learn from them just like Rick did.

#5 Rapscallion, Oct 16, 2016
  6. BetterAngel

Ya, I know Rick really is pretty physically beat to hell in the comic, and I read somewhere but cannot for the life of me remember where that Kirkman stated that it isn't a far-cry for Rick to die soon, like within 1-2 years of the comic. I do think Carl would grow into a wonderful leader, as long as he has someone (*cough*Sophia*cough*) to keep his anger/rage in check. I believe he could be far more brutal than Rick. I just meant that perhaps Rick may make him (with some persuasion from people like Michonne) the new leader of the Sanctuary. That would still give Rick a chance to see that Carl is truly "ready" and "grown". I think this would lead Rick to perhaps be a bit more reckless and maybe try to fight Negan, or someone else maybe, leading to his death. Then after, Carl would perhaps merge the two communities (ASZ and Sanctuary) or appoint a new leader of the Sanctuary and return home to ASZ. Or stay and lead the Sanctuary and maybe Andrea would take Rick's place as leader of Alexandria. I think Rick dying would be an utterly devastating blow, no matter what shape he's in. And it would definitely steer the comic in a familiar yet different direction. It may be fascinating. I love comic Carl, love him. He's my favorite in the comic by far, so much potential (that I pray they end up utilizing in the show already for jesus sakes), I'd love to read how he helps to continue to live, lead, and rebuild a society. I'm interested on how he'd handle different conflicts. I think his youth and hardened demeanor could make for some great storylines. Ok and let's be honest, his physical appearance would play into his intimidation factor. But I would miss Rick too! Maybe he could step down??? Do you think he is even capable (as in, on an ego level) of doing such a thing?

#6 BetterAngel, Oct 16, 2016
  7. Rapscallion

I stand by my earlier theory that Negan will present Alpha's head to the Alexandrians and they'll demand the fit and healthy Negan be their new leader instead of the injured and frail Rick. There's no way Rick will accept that, and it leads to the war that destroys Alexandria...which was Negan's plan all along ("Atta boy").

8. BetterAngel

I can totally see your scenario with Negan (who, in his captive cell, has been pretty much safe and sound over the years, probably with nigh an injury more than a hang nail), I could see that being what leads Rick to finally (at least) attempt to kill Negan (wishing like holy hell that he'd done it when he first caught him), maybe leading to his death, or at least an injury that will kill him in a matter of hours or maybe a couple days. But I'd hate to see Alexandria destroyed...Although! Maybe then all the survivors from Alexandria can move to the Sanctuary, where my comic-husband rules the roost :zombies_alien:

9. Rapscallion

@BetterAngel,

Rick kept Negan alive so he could watch society be rebuilt. I think Negan's plan is to make Rick's ego get the better of him and unwittingly destroy the society he rebuilt.

10. EvieE

EvieE Member

I actually think Dwight or one of the former saviors will end up killing him. I think Negan may try to take over the saviors again and he has fostered so much ill will within that group that someone is bound to off him. I do think he will ultimately survive the Whisperer War but the I don't see him living past the next arc.

11. BetterAngel

Ya that does sound pretty right. Plus, since he lost control over his group in AOW, what did he have to lose? He was kept safe, fed, warm in the winter, probably cool in the summer, he was bathed and groomed and even had Carl to talk to a lot. Life wasn't too bad for him at that point. Despite his recent actions, I've always felt he's had something up his sleeve. The "nice" Negan seems too good to be true lol.

12. BetterAngel

I can say that although there are dozens of people who should rightfully want to kill Negan, Dwight would be in my top 3, right alongside Rick and Maggie. I find it immensely entertaining to be seeing Negan in a sense being 'babysat' by Dwight, for a time even him having to watch Dwight tote Lucille around. Ironic, isn't it? (Ugh, maybe in Dwight's instance it isn't so tasteful to use a descriptive that's first four letters are I-R-O-N [insert evil little grin here]???)

13. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

negan doesn't want society to be destroyed though. That wouldn't suit him

14. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Probably. I think he's going to take a long road to redemption - definitely not in the eyes of everyone, but at least to some extent.

I highly doubt the Alexandrians would want Negan as their leader, ever. He killed their friends and family. I can see him gaining a degree of respect, but a majority wanting him to lead them? Nah.

15. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

The world needs Negan's strength. He is a blitzkrieg to his foes, and a clever strategist on the battlefield. Let's face it. Rick barely "scratched" out a victory in the war, and knew he could take the fight out of the whisperers by "cutting the head off" of the snake... So to speak... With Beta. If Lucille had not failed him, that would have demoralized the rest. They could have come back with another leader (Fingers crossed that Beta gets 86'd, and Lydia takes over... Making Carl the choice person to end this threat and bring him closer to "Lord Carl: Son of Grimes"), but the main thrust of their attack would be undone, probably scattering their herd and reducing them to nomadic nuisance from there on.

Bottom line- Negan would be a flawless right hand, assuming he aims that attitude at who deserves it.

Here's hoping that we are talking in 5 years, about how Negan stepped up and became Carl's protector and right hand after vowing to do just that to Rick as he dies!

16. King Mabel

King Mabel Member

I think Negan becomes a William Wallace-esque hero rallying everyone and leading the charge, and is the primary reason they defeat the Whisperers. Beloved by everyone singing his praises, he is shockingly put down at the Hilltop the moment Maggie sees him walking around freely.

She doesn't know he's loose, right?

17. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I hate it when villains are redeemed. If Negan ends up a hero it'll be the first time I'll be disappointed in Kirkman and TWD. I'm a fan of villain Negan and want to see him die nasty. Not a fan of what's going on with him at this point.

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I agree. No hero BS. And I don't want to see him turn into some type of anti-hero either. On a similar note, a lot of Marvel Comics super villains are becoming more heroic or more anti-hero in recent issues and it really waters down the essence of who they once were.

A good anti-hero is an anti-hero from beginning to end. Same goes with the villains. Now if this trend with Negan being more goody two-shoes, is a smokescreen for something really awful, then I'm all for that.

19. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

Although, I like Negan's character and dialogue, he should've been killed after AOW. I really hope that Kirkman doesn't keep him beyond the Whisper war. Or, like others have said turn him into a redeemed anti-hero. That would be so boring and lazy.

#19 RicksdaMan, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
  20. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Seems I'm in the extreme minority on this, but that's okay.

I'm honestly addicted to redemption arcs. Pretty hard, actually. So, I'm currently loving what's happening. The heel-face turn and all that: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeelFaceTurn

And if it all ends up being a front for something hideous, that's okay, too, because I honestly just love Negan so much as a character.