Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

So Daryl got him Killed?

Discussion in 'Episode 701 - The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by forceten, Oct 24, 2016.

1. forceten

forceten Member

Because he hit Negan, negan had to kill another person. Glenn was supposed to get the death from the comics anyway, but now it was Daryl's indirect - or direct fault.

Was shocked they went with two - for a little bit I thought maybe another one was gonna get it - or ricks hand or carls arm also

2. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

I think Glenn's death was their way to follow the comics but not precisely follow the comics. Daryl screwed up going after Dwight then getting himself Michonne and Glenn caught. Then the needless punch that was going to get nothing but more misery for the group. He has some making up to do.

3. Emdier

Emdier Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think a lot of people are going to be turning on Daryl right now. We're definitely going to be getting angsty Daryl from now on, the look on his face when Glenn was getting beat was far more horrified then when Abe was getting Lucille'd. Personally I think that he assumed he would be the only one getting punished for what he did, so the fact that it was Glenn came as a complete shock to him.

4. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

I think Negan should've been more explicit about pinning Glenn's death on Daryl. It'll be a nice character touch for Daryl to deal with that guilt and how others would react around him when he's returned.

5. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

Daryl just got mind f***ed.

That is going to eat at him for the remainder of his life. A lot of his motivation in future episodes may be for some hope of making amends... but it will never be enough.

6. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

Here's my take on it. The writers took Glenn out partly to follow the comics, but perhaps to also atone for the fact that so many fans were livid over the "teaser Glenn deaths" of late. Plus, if Glenn was going to go, far better to have him go out a hero, rather than die beneath a dumpster after a walker attack.

And (to me) it made perfect sense that Daryl would be the one to react. Everyone was obviously in a deep state of shock, and were aware that a reaction from them could cause even more loss of life...but Daryl's personality is to react first, think later. When they finally dragged him off in the truck, he appeared absolutely broken...I have no doubt that Glenn's death will haunt him deeply.

I also kind of figured that the victim would be Abraham...Negan's "taking it like a champ" just - to me - summed up the way that Abraham would stand up to him. Stoic. Not saying anything (though the "suck my nuts" was a great Abraham touch), and dying for the cause. The only reason I felt there would be another victim was because there'd been online rumours about more than one death, and I figured if so, then Glenn was a pretty good bet for second choice. Must admit, for a while during the episode I did wonder if Rosita was going to be second choice, but in the end, Glenn was the chosen one after all.

7. stagehand

stagehand New Member

This paves the way in the future for the writers to kill off Daryll as he won't be as much of a fan favorite?

8. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

I'm sure Daryl will still be a fan favorite.

I don't think fans will hate him for his actions. His actions were very Daryl.

If people hated Daryl, then they should hate Rick too for his arrogance and putting them in that situation.

...then again... Daryl is the one that thought it was a good idea to kill that compound of Saviors.

9. Sarah-kate

Sarah-kate Member

Thats is what I thought too buuuut I'm a Daryl fan and although his actions have been a bit reckless I'm sure he'll redeem himself and get the fans back.... besides he's on all the march lol.

10. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I think Daryl will suffer terribly with his guilt. I was surprised that he charged Negan that way. I was hoping he might have picked up a stone or sharp stick and that pushed him to go for Negan.

With so much guilt, I'm wondering if the only person who can save Daryl will be Carol. No not necessarily from Negan but from himself. Carol has blood on her hands 10x more then Daryl. I think she could be his savior.

11. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe punching Negan was a suicide attempt on Daryl's part. Maybe he was feeling so angry and crushed by guilt that he lashed out, assuming Negan would kill him. Now he has more guilt on top of guilt on top of guilt. That's not to say it wasn't idiotic, but i think he assumed he was putting his own life on the line...Negan probably knew that too which is why he chose Glenn & not Daryl. More mind games.

12. df219

df219 New Member

Ooh, I like the thought of Carol helping Daryl out of his coming guilt-driven spiral. Daryl's had to suck back a lot of guilt over the seasons, but Carol is a merciless serial-killing Stepford wife from hell. She's had to do the most reconciling out of them all. Nonetheless, Daryl will do something heroic to become fan-favorite again. Good for the audience for this to happen to Daryl. Only thing better would have been for him to say, while being shoved into the truck, "Maggie...my bad, girl!" Nah, j/k

13. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

That's JUST what we need. Another season of brooding, guilt struck Daryl....now we will get even MORE grunting and mumbling - just wonderful. Personally, I think it would have been a MILLION times better to have one of the girls go for him. Preferably Sasha or Rosita. They just saw their man's head bashed in.....why wouldn't they attack at that point? I (and a few feisty ladies on this forum) would have. And it would make a hell of a lot more sense then having Daryl be the one to shoulder the guilt yet AGAIN. I swear, all we've heard from him is grunting and mumbling since Season 4B. No offence to men, but woman are absolutely lethal once they get past the mourning stage and slide into anger. And can you imagine the story lines these other ladies can have?

14. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

On Talking Dead they did a poll and 75 percent bear no ill will towards Daryl, including me, so I am surprised it seems to be higher here. Daryl will always do his best to protect his family. Sometimes things go very wrong.

15. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

When someone is put into a situation that is beyond horrific, when they are forced to witness the brutal killing of a loved one, and when the threat is there that if they react in any way, then someone else will get the same thing, the human tendency is to completely shut down. I mean, completely shut down. A reaction such as Daryl's - jumping up in rage and rushing the violator - is seen in fierce attacks, but Negan went far beyond just a beating, or even a shooting. His attack was viscious, visceral, and something that most wouldn't be able to comprehend. The shock of the entire thing, along with the threats, would definitely be enough to keep each and every one of them subdued. That is, unless you have one in the crowd who has lived on his own for a very long time, who reacts quickly and out of pure, blind rage, and who might have an extremely high threshold before shutdown will take place.

16. BlackLightning

There is a saying among military folk that hotheads get people killed. That's why they have boot camp: the powers that be in the military understand that many of the young men (and women) who enlist with the military have anger problems and/or come from broken homes.

And then there is Michonne's famous words: anger makes you stupid, stupid gets you killed.

Or let's bring it back to reality for a second. What's the #1 reason why many people don't want Donald Trump to become president? He's a hothead who lacks tact and timing.

Glenn would still be alive if Daryl had not lost his cool and attacked Negan.

17. ckmang1978

ckmang1978 New Member

Agreed...he will be the last man standing!!!!

18. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

As a viewer, I think many can see Daryl's character as the one at fault for getting Glenn killed without hating Daryl's character.

19. Spartangal22

Spartangal22 Member

I don't necessarily think Daryl was reacting to Abraham's death (or just to Abraham's death). I saw it as more of a reaction to his taunting Rosita with Abe's blood. I had two thoughts with that: A) Taunting Rosita was too much of a "kick the dog" moment for Daryl and he snapped; or B) He thought Negan was going to attack her too, since he was getting pretty riled that she wouldn't react, and he hit him to stop that. Either way, as others have said, I think he expected that he would get punished, not anyone else.

I think Daryl will blame himself but the others won't. All of them likely wanted to do that; hell, even after Glenn's death, Rick still threatened Negan. Maggie would be the one most likely to be angry, and she looked horrified when they took Daryl away - then she blamed herself for those deaths because they were out there to get her to Hilltop. Every one of them will have some guilt about what happened, and likely won't look to blame the others.

#19 Spartangal22, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  20. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Yes, but I don't even see it as fault.

When I was five my family and our next door neighbors and a whole bunch of other people went out to the Sacramento River for a swim picnic. I had a protective swim vest, but I didn't like being in the river. My best friend wanted to use my vest. I said Sure! You can have it all day--just let me get wet first. So I did and then I got out and couldn't find her. I found her mom and left it with her and said, I can't find Debbie, but she wants this.

Well you know how the story ends.

Days later, I said to my mom how sad I was and how I wished I had just given her the vest without wanting to get wet first. She was horrified and went into a long spiel about how it wasn't my fault. I was just floored because I had no thought in my head that anything was my fault. I was just sad that that was how it worked out. And that is how I have taken things all of my life. I see so many people suffering so intensely over things that if they had been done differently, the outcome would have been different, but to me there is no place for guilt in any of that. It's just the twists and turns of life.

I wish Daryl's character took life that way, but I know he will be in pain forever over it. Almost everyone aches that way. For me, if my heart was in the right place, or if someone else's heart is in the right place, there is no fault and no guilt to be had, just the sadness.