Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[716] Rate the Rest of your life!!

Discussion in 'Ep. 716 - The First Day of the Rest of Your Life' started by Neuropyramidal, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Rate it or surrender your underpants.

1. 10

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Fresh start for the rest of its life.

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. 8

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. 7

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. I bet this doesn't live long.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. 2

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  10. 1

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Aquatic Nuggets

long post incomingggggg

This was not a good season by any stretch of the imagination, for me at least. I understand where they were going, and what they wanted to do, but for a season to spend half of it's time saying "hey, this guy is real bad news" and the rest of it's time saying "okay, so how do we take them down?" we got a whole lot of stalling, a ton of filler, a bunch of depressing shit, some very dumb character moves, and a larger-than-life villain that, except for a few occasions, never truly stuck the landing (the landing being a transition from comics to television). The second half alleviated some of these concerns, but as a whole. the season was just not up to par on a pacing level (so much stuff could have been cut, Jesus), and I'm willing to say that what we got this year has probably been the worst season the show has offered since Carl got shot by Otis a trillion years ago.

"The First Day of the Rest of Your Life" seems like a finale pulled from a different season, a far better one, back when the characters were more interesting, back when things didn't move at such a meandering pace that it was laughable, when things were genuinely exciting. The show remembers how to be heartwarming, heart-shattering, funny and terrifying again, all at once. The betrayal of the Garbage People was honestly a surprise, Sasha's death was great, Rick's venomous speech to Negan and how it paralleled the premiere was amazing, seeing Abraham again was fantastic, and when Shiva came on screen at just the right moment, I cheered. Walking Dead will always have those moments for me, the ones I eventually will always keep coming back for. It's just not possible to NOT get hyped when Ezekiel screams, "Put an end to these Saviors and their accomplices! Alexandria will not fall! Not on this day!" At the same time, it's hard not to smile when Jadis says "I lay with him after. You care?" In these respects, Walking Dead remembers what it was and smiles. But there are things that it's picked up in recent years that are less good.

It wasn't good on every front - In the same way that Season 6's finale failed by addressing only one of the Season's central arcs and letting everything else fall by the wayside, TFDOTROYL (god what an awful acronym) fails in almost the exact same way. Gimple has jerked Morgan around from extreme to extreme for about 4 seasons now, and without any clear resolution, it's becoming rather aggravating, since Morgan is just about in the exact same spot he was in at the end of last season, just far more exaggerated. Carol is in a similar position, and the fact that she eventually just returned to Alexandria to fight and kill again really just shows how pointless and stupid her arc since The Same Boat has been. I enjoy Carol and Morgan's relationship (can they bang already) but I feel like it's progressed so damn slowly. In terms of characters, Negan is much better, but Michonne has deteriorated into a phrase spouting beacon of hope, and I'm not sure I like that, but at the same time I'm not sure where else they really have to go.

Aside from that, any problems I had with the episode stemmed from the not good season it sprouted from, but hey. I'm at least excited for Season 8. So they've at least managed to not go down the path they did last year.

2. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I gave it a 9 1/2. Would have given a 10 if it wasn't for the STUPID, ASININE, ILLITERATE, way those garbage people speak. I look forward to that clan being decimated. It was bad enough with that Jadis, but ALL of them? Shiva and Sasha were stars of the show and the LOTR reference from Ezekiel was awesome and goosebump inducing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PapSett

PapSett Member

It's been a long time since I rated an episode a 10, but this one did it for me. I did not expect Sasha to do what she did AT ALL, my jaw dropped. I only wish she had bitten Negan. And Shiva... OMG Shiva! Loved her! Can't wait for the return in the Fall!

4. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

I'm giving it a 9. Mostly for the surprise twists. The shopping cart trap, round two. That was really creepy. The epic moment when the explosives didn't go off and the total bewilderment of our group. The garbage pail kids betraying the group. Never saw that coming. Sasha coming out of the coffin as a walker (how much of a foreshadow should that have been!). Carl breaking the trance by grabbing a gun and starting the firefight. Go Carl! Rick's stand up to Negan even when he is down. Even when Carl is going to die. No breakdown here. Yay Rick! This is the Rick from Terminus. Shiva. What more needs to be said there.

Some things that didn't quite do it. The scenes with Sasha in the dark listening to music, especially starting the episode that way. Really, really annoying. Even upon finding out what that was all about didn't help. I was grinding my teeth during those scenes.

The magical timing of both Hilltop and the Kingdom showing up - together - in the nick of time to save the day. Neither group knew what was going down. Both groups just decided to head to Alexandria (which is logical) and arriving at the same time just at THE right moment (not so logical). Not that viscerally I didn't love it. I did. But the logical part of my brain was, Seriously!

The fight between Michonne and the garbage trash girl. I'm seriously supposed to believe that Michonne would come out that badly in a one on one fight? The scream as someone fell off the building and Rick automatically believing it was Michonne. Why?

Still despite the hard to believe stuff, this episode rocked.

5. WebbieD

WebbieD Member

They definitely went out with a bang. I gave it a 9 with Shiva being the high point for me and Walker Sasha being a close 2nd. I did see that coming about the time her and Eugene was walking out and he gave her the earphones, then the casket.
    I am still a little confused is if Eugene actually knew what she was planning, as the scene before that was him and her in the hall and he said something to he affect he was glad she changed her mind. But she made a great walker.
    I too though would of liked to of seen her bite Negan in some way but more so than that I would of liked to see someone take out Dumpster girl. Preferably Shiva, but Daryl, Carl or any of them. Actually it would of been good if Michonne would of been fighting her instead of the other one, given her stupid remark to Rick.
    I did think Maggie's speech should of been shorter but it was a nice reference to Glen.
    All in all it was a good ending episode and far better than the season opener.

6. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I gave it a 10. It was a worthy finale of a season, I liked very much.
    I'm sad that Sasha died, but after she got captured, I was pretty sure, she will have Hollys role in the tv show..
    The finale rounded teh story up in a very nice way - and was I the only one, who cheered out aloud, when Shiva was attacking that savior just when Negan tried to kill Carl? I even rewind the scene, it was so great - and Ezekiels 'Alexandria will not fall' ... wow.

I loved Sonequas acting here, I wish,she would have stayed. But as a Trekkie, I can at least looking forward to see her in the next Star Trek show (which was probably the reason, her character died here?)
    All actors had great moments - when RIck stayed defiant after Negan said, that he will Carl and smash Ricks hands, Negans mimic was priceless.
    Morgan, when he made the decision to follow the Kingdom instead of going alone.
    Great moments.

Phantasm: not to critisize, everyone has different tastes, but what did you not like about the finale?

8. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

It's been the best episode of a season but I haven't enjoyed this season too much. I'd give it an 8... I really wanted to see Negan slaughtered, especially after how he spoke to Rick during that hostage scene.

9. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I gave it a 9. So happy there was no cliffhanger, and it was a good mix of emotions throughout.

10. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

I give it a 9. I thought it did a good job of building tension, a few surprise twists. No more than usual stuff that you have to call BS on. Given the inevitability of Sasha's situation, I thought the scenes in the dark were interesting, the way te details were revealed a little at a time.

I especially liked Negan's totally realistic reaction to Shiva.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

Season 7b all is forgiven this ep nailed it.

Sasha NOOOOO, I was so proud of what she did but it broke my heart all the same. Imma gonna miss her, in fact I cried just a teeny bit.
    And for all her bluster Rosita was just a whimper when the time came, how come we are left with her sulky highness? And what the hell happened with the dynamite?

Why didn't michonne knock the shit outta that piece of trash Jadis when she made a move on Rick? Ok the time wasn't right, but still...

Shiva I love you! I'm glad the big kitty is in one piece I was dreading a different outcome for her.

All in all I took this ep very personally esp that scrawny bitch beating on michonne and the way Carl cried when he saw michonne all bloodied like he couldn't bear to lose another mom.

Eugene I get you honey. And I love that we saw murder Rick again at the end.

#31 Toothpick, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  12. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

Woooweeee! Awesome episode...shaking and rooting so hard during the gun fight scene....gave it a 10 because of Shiva coming to the rescue and for Morgan and Father Gabe finally stepping it up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ruark

Ruark Member

I gave it a 3. I've watched TWD since the beginning, and my interest has been waning the last couple of years, mainly because of excessive plot fragmentation - too many subplots, as well as becoming too unrealistic sometimes.

This thing with the tiger is visually cute, but puts the show out into the realm of fantasy, more like Lord of the Rings than post-apocalyptic America. It's utterly, totally impossible.

The final battle could have been SO much better. It really spoils it for me. The producers do a horrible job of staging these battle scenes you've been waiting months for. You see people standing in the open, holding down the trigger on fully automatic weapons (where did they get so many machine guns?), firing thousands and thousands of rounds without reloading, and STILL not hitting their opponents who are standing 10 feet away doing the same thing. Like Negan driving off in that truck unscratched, with 15 people spraying him with machine guns. I mean, really.....

And that freaking tiger is running around attacking people, like it somehow knows the good guys and bad guys. I can't believe nobody shot at it.

I was hoping Negan would get it, and maybe end up in the Alexandria Jail, or better yet, dead. That would have wrapped up the season nicely. We just spent an entire season on the Negan thing, and next season it's going to be..... more Negan. I mean, this show is SUPPOSED to be about people surviving an apocalypse, but instead it's just Negan, Negan, Negan, with occasional moments of people flaring their nostrils and staring at each other. As I said, my interest is waning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DocCovington

DocCovington Member

I'm giving it a 5/10.

The only reason this episode scored any points at all in my book was for the Sasha scenes (including the ones with Abraham), which were plain wonderful. At first we were wondering what those scenes in the dark with the MP3 player and the motor noise were all about, then we learnt the sad truth. I can't believe she's gone, she had become a favorite of mine during this season. :( What a waste.

Glad to see that Dwight didn't betray Daryl's trust. He didn't know what Negan had planned and that the junkyard creeps were on Negan's side. (Raise your hand if that betrayal truly surprised you. No one? I wonder why that is...) Nice detail about him leaving a "note" to Daryl by the gate. Can't wait to see how Dwight will put his promise to assist Rick into action.

I was majorly disappointed to discover last week that Eugene had indeed succumbed to the role of Negan's lackey. Either the director was misleading us, or the writers changed their mind or simply didn't tell Josh McDermott in advance about his character's direction, because he sure as hell did play it like he was just pretending in order to get Negan to fully trust him. Badly done either way and very aggrevating.

The cheesy final scenes were sweet in a way, but more than that they were leaving me disappointed, because I had expected more. Now not only do we have to wait half a year for the story to progress, we also are left with the prospect of a full season build around a war. (insert a long yawn here) I had hoped for more, for some kind of closure to the Negan chapter. Even more so, I had hoped for several charaters to plot their own schemes of killing Negan and for one of them to succeed. Now I feel betrayed by the writers like I did when I watched the final season of "Lost" (anyone remember that crap?).

Edit:
    How could you not see that coming?? :oops: Those garbage folk were so obviously vicious and 100(0)% selfish before. Had I been Rick, I would have never supplied those creeps with weapons in the first place. I was also extremely disappointed last week that the Oceanside group didn't join the cause -- now, that would have been an alliance Rick's people could have trusted.

I couldn't agree more on that. The fight was a huge disappointed in itself, for the reasons you mentioned. I had expected so much more. Also, what someone on here wrote about Michonne's fight scene, same.
    +1

#34 DocCovington, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  15. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Love this episode. It had me at the edge of my seat the entire time, i knew the sasha part was coming but had no idea about the garbage betrayal. So much action and so much feels going on at the same time.

Overall it was a solid season, not my favorite up but just as good as most of the show.

The only thing I don't like is the way the garbage people speak as well.

9/10, the sasha-abraham flashbacks were nice but felt like they could have been done in half the time/sped up/decrease the amount of time they just sit their silent.

16. Equestrian

Equestrian New Member

I thought this was a good, solid finale. It was great to see Negan and Rick show down again. These two characters and actors feed off each other and I always love watching their interactions.

The pancakes and smiley faced blueberries were so totally out of place that I laughed out loud. Way to go Negan :)

I am glad Sasha took the pill before Negan could use her against Rick, although I guessed she was a walker before Negan opened the coffin.

Wow that Rick was going to blow up Eugene! I totally understand his reasoning however, especially when Eugene said "I am Negan". I still firmly believe Eugene is on Rick's side though, so hopefully he won't hold a grudge that he was almost collateral damage. On a side note, thank goodness Eugene is such a great liar. I got shivers when Negan confronted him over Sasha's death but he shrugged it off reasonably well. Negan has his suspicions but nothing solid to act upon. Eugene had better watch his step next season.

I wasn't surprised when Jadis and the Garbage Pail Gang turned on Rick. Jadis was always my guess for Negan's little birdie. I did laugh at her line about wanting to lie with Rick though!

Karl really stepped up tonight. I like that he took the first opportunity to open fire, yet he wasn't reckless.

Yay that Negan finally learned Maggie is still alive! And that Daryl has rejoined Rick. I like these story lines a lot and can't wait to see more of them next season.

Two small complaints: It was good to see Abe again, but I felt that after the second flash-back they just slowed down the pace of the show down too much. Negan's 'go to war' speech seemed to be cut very short. I would have liked just a bit more time to feel the moment, especially because it was the major set up for next season.

Other than that, I thought it was a really good finale to an excellent season :)
    ETA: I gave it a 9

17. BlackNoise

BlackNoise Member

6.5/10

I enjoyed a lot of it, but I just can't get past the trash people. I haven't read the comics, but I'm not surprised to find out that group was created just for the show. Those people don't make any sense. They don't act like humans and they make deals they don't even seem to care about. The writers just love making Rick the worst leader of all time. What ever happened to the three questions? I would love to hear how the garbage pail kids answer those.

Anyways, I enjoyed the action and the tense moments, but I didn't like any of the flashbacks. I also didn't like how they made Michonne look so weak when I think she would be at her strongest. There are many ways they could've done that scene if they needed her to lose for a bit. It didn't need to be a vicious beat down where she got all bloodied. What was the point of that? It was literally a fair fight and she just got her ass kicked.

Overall it just felt like a lot happened, but absolutely nothing really happened. I don't expect it, but I really hope Eugene stays true to Negan. I love Eugene being Eugene and I just like him with the Saviors.

18. Platix

Platix New Member

I gave it a 4. It was just too predictable in every way. I had a strong feeling that Sasha was gonna bite it by end of season, so there was no surprise at all for me. The final battle with Negan went horribly wrong(again no surprise at all). Every very painfully obvious thing happened for me in this episode. As opposed to ep. 1 which took out Abraham and Glenn. That two for one surprise was great, even though it upset some viewers.

For a season finale, I wanted more of a shocker. It seems like the writers mailed it in on this one. Nothing shocking. Fight Negan.... someone dies...blah blah blah.

This is probably my least favorite season to date. The show seems to have hit a wall IMO, almost like they don't know where to go with it, and the result seems contrived, and predictable.

I'm a fan for life, and i hate seeing it all just fade away. I hope it goes out with a bang, and not a whimper. Hopefully next season will throw us a few more curve balls, and leave us guessing a bit more, instead of spoon feeding it to us.

19. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

10/10. Awesome finale. Poor Sasha, so sad to see her go but she went out fighting - even in death. The scenes leading up to it, with her and Abe, were heartbreaking.

It was fantastic to see all of them with weapons, shooting away, fighting for their lives and each other. ALL of them, on the same scene again - everything I was hoping for.

20. Funion The Barbarian

Funion The Barbarian Active Member

That shit was dope!