Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

GPK Theory of Why They are the Way they are

Discussion in 'Ep. 716 - The First Day of the Rest of Your Life' started by Singtress, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Like many of us, I sit here going "What the hell is with these people? It is not as if they have been born and bred in a generation hiding from others..."

So...theory:
    What if, in the Before Time, they were all living in a Mental Hospital and/or Assisted Living type place for people with various degrees of learning disability?

This would explain the odd talking, the decisions based on basic needs (and not thought through), why they would grow to accept their living conditions (it is safe and, once used to it, they wouldn't want to change), and probably some other things I am forgetting. I mean, imaging the apocalypse broke out...all the staff fled...and they all had to fend for themselves. This kind of basic-needs/cloistered society could grow.

(Note: I am not belittling learning disabled or mentally ill people in any way. Just stating a theory based on the behavior of the GPK featured.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

..this is all, of course, assuming they aren't just on an Away Mission and are about to beam back up....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I got the feeling they were art students or some kind of cult/group long before the z.a. Instead of finding each other like the other groups did, these people have been together for a long time and all lived together in some kind of commune. That's why they all have these strange names and language.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Ah...that works too.

5. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Based on their living environment (a huge garbage dumping ground), I propose they were a mix of (a) foreign (thus explaining their inability to speak a complete English sentence) 'greenpeace' type of people who came to the US for some demonstration or conference when the Apocalypse started (b) homeless people and drifters (ie those who had been living under a flyover and had been collecting leftovers and garbage).
    These people have skill to recycle garbage in order to survive.

Note that they also have some kind of 'uniform' too (ie dark grey colour clothing). Could they be Romulans (Jadis' haricut looks very suspicious to me). These are some Romulan female names:
    Ael, Aidoann, Ariennye, Arrenhe, Arrhae, Aerv,Carina,Caithlin,Charvanek,Dhael,Dhiov,Dhisuia,
    Dhivael,Ekenda,Ekkhae,Eriufv,Evaste,Eviak,Eviess,
    Gwiu,Hanaj,Helev,Hloal,Istak,Jaeih,Jaeihthe,Janicka,
    Katara,Kerit,Kihaia,Lhair,Liha,Liviana,Llaiir,Llunih,
    Lyie,Mavus,Mnhei,Mrian,N'alae,Nevala,Nn'Khiy,Nahir,
    Rai,Rhiana,Rhioa,Ridda,R'Kal,Saavik,Saeihr,S'anra,
    Sela,Shalote,Shiarrael,Sienae,Ssaedhe,S'tarleya,Taleirrh,
    Taleria,Telek,Thue,Toreth,Triy,T'Maekh,Varel,Vrina

Now, does 'Jadis' sound like it belongs to this list?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

I am totally on board with the Romulan idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

They're probably just immigrants from Russia and/or eastern Europe. Lots of immigrants work in the sanitation industry. By no means are they all immigrants but there could be a small community in suburban Virginia.

8. carolsubmissive

carolsubmissive Active Member

The only way I'm buying it is if they're purposely using code language and surnames.

Otherwise it's lame. Different for the sake of different.

They're too intelligent/shrewd to be mental patients

They set up Rick and Aaron then effectively tracked and robbed the ASZ. They played Rick and got a better deal from saviours. They're all efficient in combat and survived for 3 years.

9. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Whatever their backstory is, my one hope is that since they talk like Kevin from the Office, they won't explain their backstory in a godawful monologue like Mary from Terminus.

10. Cartman

Cartman New Member

One theory is, that before the zombie outbreak, they were a group of "garbage addicts". People addicted to the touch, smell, and yes even taste, of garbage. And now that the civilized world has ended, they are quite literally human garbage. The kind of garbage you wouldn't want to take home to meet your mother. That said, the Romulan theory is just as plausible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

yep, that betrayal for gain is exactly what romulans would do.

being part romulan is why jadis wears those severe bangs--she's hiding forehead bumps.

completely explains her focus on laying with rick after the fight. the group's mission is to have lots of mixed romulan babies with the finest human physical specimans they can locate.

this whole zombie thing is probably a mild romulan illness that they intentionally released to take down the native peoples who lack the romulan immunity.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Gawd, I hate Romulans.

13. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

Maybe they'll get their own episode so you people can sleep at night. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. batongal

batongal Active Member

We'll get that episode after they do the Wolves backstory.

15. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

I'd say they are more akin to Ferengi.
    Because they want to acquire stuff and thangs in the easiest way possible.

Sent from my iPad using little or no insight

16. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

They could be Nihilists?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Was this group in the comics?

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Off topic... But I wish Dale was still alive so we could have one scene with him negotiating with Jadis. Tell me that wouldn't be hilarious.

19. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Well, aside from their minimalist speech, these appear to be capable people. Jadis is somewhat intelligent, and Tamiel was able to track several people without being detected, while surviving in a ZA. They are organized and successfully surviving in a decimated apocalypse. If we institutionalized everyone with that level of learning disability, like 60% of the US population would be in an assisted living facility :p. The Home For People Who Leave Out Prepositions In Their Sentences [THFPWLOPTS]. I exaggerate, but maybe not by much. Have you seen Jersey Shore?

I think what the writers are trying to show us is that these people adapted this style of language AFTER the ZA started. The world changed, and they changed with it. Deliberately, not because they forgot how to talk. There's no more cocktail hour, or book clubs, or mandatory staff meetings, no job interviews, no smooth talking your contractor into letting you put a wet bar in your bathroom, even though its against housing code. There's just brute survival now. Scavenging. Defending. Maintaining shelter. They have minimized their speech to match their new reality. They also have adapted a system of hand signals, for various commands and tasks. This allows them to get information across using the most minimal communication possible.

Jadis even eluded to the idea that when times change, they change.

#19 Neuropyramidal, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  20. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

The way they talk sounds completely stupid. Maybe that's just a tactic they use with outsiders so people who don't know them will think they are dimwitted and underestimate them. Then again, Jadis is probably the worst negotiater ever. Her bargaining skills leave much to be desired. However if the agenda is to be a cutthroat nd make better deals with another group, then I guess striking a less than desirable bargain is a moot point.