Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Michael Rooker's acting

Discussion in 'Episode 315 - This Sorrowful Life' started by ShanesGhost, Mar 26, 2013.

1. ShanesGhost

ShanesGhost Member

I think Michael Rooker is an amazing actor, I always noticed he stood out in every movie he was part of, so this is not a knock on him. But his acting as a zombie was really, really, really weak. First off, he licks his lips which is not zombie like at all. Then he actually snarled like a tiger when he went to lunge after Daryl.

I read a few comments here where people said it was done poorly as well. I thought even the actress the played Sophia played a better walker.

Do you guys feel the zombie was kind of weak or no?

INB4 this thread is weak

2. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

First of all, yes, zombies lick their lips, we saw it in the season finale of season 2 showing how the herd gathered. And secondly, "oh he snarlded liek a tiger!". Wrong, most, if not all, actually, all of the time the actors and extras don't make the rasping noises, it's added in later. So um, not Michael Rookers fault.

And his acting as a zombie was superb imo

3. ShanesGhost

ShanesGhost Member

No its not the noise he makes, he actually flexes his lips and quivers them.

4. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

I didn't think he was great at first, re-watched the episode and I actually quite like it now same with Norman's acting in that scene.

5. ShanesGhost

ShanesGhost Member

I loved Norman's acting...crying is very difficult and I thought he pulled off the right blend of anger and sadness. If you really look at Daryl's character, he is pretty quiet usually and disconnected. This was his most emotional scene since he found his brother's hand on the roof top.

I just honestly cringed when I saw Michael Rooker's acting as a zombie. I thought the make up was great considering he just died, but the lip licking and that little snarl and twist dance he does was weird. Im surprised the director didnt want to reshoot that scene.

6. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

Who said walkers can't do that? It's a slight movement of the lips, actually it's almost looks like how you would slurp noodles or something, the way his lip moves, in this case, not noodles, but blood =P

Also you're kind of over analysing it.

7. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

Re-watch it trust me, I felt exactly the same...

8. ShanesGhost

ShanesGhost Member

To each their own, I thought it was kind of poorly done and I honestly didn't have 1 shred of criticism when Rick cried after finding out Lori died or Daryl crying in last weeks episode. Something about that walker just didn't feel right.

9. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

Hm, fair enough I guess.

10. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

One thing I did notice about Rooker is that as a zombie he walked exactly the same with how he swings his arms by his side as he did when he was alive. Usually the walkers walk with a limp or one foot dragging along the ground or walkers usually favour one side. But other then that nothing I thought was too strange =P.

11. ripbongs420

ripbongs420 Member

I think the answer to that is that he was very fresh. I think the reason other walkers limp/drag is because they have ligaments/muscles that have decomposed to the point of uselessness.

I agree though that the lip movement was much too unusual. It threw me off as well.

12. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I just figured he was a fresh one.. Didn't put a lot of thought into it after that..

I'm just bummed we won't have anymore classic one liners from Merle :(

13. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Don't they have walker school or something like that? Lol.

The lip licking was the part I didn't really buy but it was easy enough for me to overlook. I'm not to picky about the details!

14. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

The bit I didn't like was they way he tripped over Ben's body but regained his balance any other walker would have gone down

15. Benzel

Benzel Member

Merle died of a gunshot to the chest though, it's not like he was attacked by walkers and had parts of his limbs eaten. I know their reactions and balance should be off anyway seeing as they're dead but he would still have had fully formed legs.

16. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

Maybe the fresh ones are more spry. Balance is only partially a brain related activity. Balance is mostly regulated by the inner ear

17. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

Hmm, I guess you have a point. It was still ok just a bit different to other walkers we have seen even fresh ones

18. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

What bothers me about any of the zombies is when they lunge. Like half of them can't move beyond a shuffle, but then out of nowhere they lunge at their victim.

19. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

Yeah that's kind of annoying as well...

20. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Idgaf as to whether Michael Rooker's portrayal of a re-animated self qualifies as believable or unnatural — that's zombie movement language and primarily a consultant or director's call to pass or fail. Besides, I can let this one slip because his performance as Merle the Human in TWD had been consistently stellar. That's all that matters to me. :D