Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Negan's flaw in operation.

Discussion in 'Episode 708 - Hearts Still Beating' started by Ionut, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

He just goes way too hardcore on the tormenting elements with Rick's group and others to get them to submit.

The way that a classical tyrant stayed in power for ages was also throwing the oppressed enough of a bone to where they felt safer not risking their lives. If your life is not so terrible that it's not worth risking losing -- typically you're not going to risk it.

He had to go hard to submit a group like Rick's who took the offensive and were capable enough to take out a large outpost of his -- but there's still a limit.

I recognize that with instances like Carl and a few others that they're still showing that they can be a threat, which is subsided by the fact that they've already given Negan plenty of supplies and are capable of giving much more. Capable people are the only ones that are going to get you loot.

Realistically speaking, if I were Negan I'd have just killed off Rick and the other major heads and turned ASZ into a new Savior colony. Take the more submissive ones into the Savior ranks and cut my losses with trying to submit these obviously capable people.

That wouldn't be good TV however and Negan's flaw is that he is prone to overkill. He's brilliant with psychological manipulation and rules the roost via it specifically, but if the resentment and conditions reach a point where your oppressed cease valuing the state of their existence under you, then you are presenting them with the acute motivation to risk throwing their lives away to get rid of you.

But as a former sociopath gym teacher and not something like a Statesman or business powerhouse, he's still a very talented Machiavellian tyrant by ZA standards and I like that he enjoys this job way too much.

I love this Negan from an entertainment perspective. :D

2. BlackLightning

We don't know if TV Negan is a gym teacher. But yeah, this Negan is truly more fascinating. There were times when I got the strong impression that Comic Negan doesn't particularly enjoy torturing people. Once you get TV Negan on a roll...watch out.
    [MENTION=95192]Ionut[/MENTION] I read The Princelike you suggested. Very enlightening.

I noticed the same thing this episode.

The Saviors are way too abusive. I know that they have the numbers and the artillery on their side but still...

Beating Aaron bloody after he had risked his life getting the Saviors supplies for no reason?! Killing Spencer?! Killing Olivia?! Scarring Rosita?! Abducting Eugene?!

All within a time period of what? 5-10 minutes? C'mon...if I didn't know any better, it would seem as if the Saviors were itching to be destroyed.

I don't think Negan is a sociopath. And he's not that pragmatic either.

3. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Also, it's not very sustainable to constantly get into the head of and harass one of your right-hand mans daily.

If Negan is asking for anything, it is to be double-crossed by Dwight...

4. Rickshair

Rickshair Member

Negan was a bit better in this episode. But I wish he would stop grinning. Father Gabriel is more menacing!

5. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Nice, glad you read it. Everybody needs to read that book to get an accurate understanding of politics, leadership and psychology. It's been the defacto manual on how those who rule have done so for ages. The truly impressive thing about Machiavelli's genius is how cutting edge a 500 + year old book on the psychology of power still is today for anybody who hasn't delved into the subject.

Correct. They have an effective operation, but to successfully stay in power they'd need to rule with a lighter hand after initial subjugation. Even among their own ranks, you see Saviors always trying to flee and Saviors miserable.

So if you're going by the rules in The Prince -- The Savior's are making critical errors for long term establishment and are just too vicious in culture. They have to be vicious and they have to subjugate by force, but then there's the nuance of throwing the subjugated enough of a bone to create enough contentment to where they don't feel the need to throw their lives away in vendetta.

The Aaron thing was abhorrent. Aaron is submissive and causing them no problems and just brought them a lot of goodies. Did you see how the two Savior's lightened up on Spencer? That's what they should have done to Aaron.

Negan as well broke Rick already and while it was smart to show up and take half of what they had and their firearms to further establish that.... that's where after you'd then lighten up on them a bit to keep Rick and the gang in the mentality that they're better off and can live reasonably well under the subjugation of the Savior's.

Now the interesting thing is that there's been errors from Rick's group to trigger this episode. Carl did sneak in and did kill two of his men and Negan's reaction to that was pretty reasonable and soft by Negan standards -- Negan didn't execute anybody outright or harm Carl -- he just played more damaging mind games with Carl and Olivia.

It's where the Spencer-Rosita conundrum caused the additional trouble and deaths. Negan's reaction even to that was fairly light handed and it was tactically stupid for all of them to do what they did. Rosita scarred her own face just because she's a firecracker -- I love her lol.

The issue is the constant oppression and psychological torment(such as beating Aaron)and not letting them breathe.

Oh Negan is a textbook Sociopath. He is not a psychopath though. Sociopath = those who are incapable of feeling empathy for others and there's also a spectrum to this like anything else. You've got good guy mild Sociopath's who's lack of empathy make them great leaders that can emotionally detach from critical decisions and you've bad guy evil Sociopath's that can't feel an ounce of empathy for anybody.

The Governor was a psychopath and was emotionally detached and lacked the self control to not turn into a homicidal maniac.

Picture the Governor in Negan's shoe's, with Negan's outfit. He wouldn't be running a subjugation system and wouldn't be playing games, he'd just kill any threat within a notable radius of his health.

As far as being Pragmatic, you are correct that he's lacking in pragmatism. He prefers the game and the thrill over pure Pragmatism and his ego is so large that he's missing out on clear elements that would improve his operation.

That all being said -- he's sooooooo ****ing entertaining compared to other TWD villains.

6. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Agreed. It's just too much.

It's the sign of a real sociopath enjoying this too much.

At this point he has Dwight submissive like a well trained pet, time to throw Dwight some more bones and not torment him at every turn about sherry. He can do this while still giving consistent reminders that will keep Dwight in a fearful submissive state, a good example was the iron thing in the previous episode -- he was correct to utilize Dwight to do that to keep the anchor in Dwight's mind.

It would be all the more effective if Dwight also had some positivity to balance out Dwight's daily life so that Dwight would be in a constant of mixed feelings, but would remain under the conclusion that he's better off where he's at now.

At this rate, Dwight is the overly abused pitbull that's going to snap on his owner.

7. tink

tink Well-Known Member

To me this is also Negan's flaw in me caring about the show at all. Watching someone torture and bully people for virtually half the season is just stupid. Especially when you know that he is in the credits so will be part of the show for the foreseeable future. There is no black and white with this character, nothing deeper that you want to get to know. This may work in the comic, but it does not work on TV, IMO.

8. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

There is no "black and white" with this character?

Do you mean there's no yin and yang?

Ying and Yang is a bit boring. Negan as he stands is a complex and very nuanced villain, if he were black and white he would be dull. There's a lot more going on here than just the surface actions and IMO it gives the route to the most rich analyzing we can do out of any character in a while.

Shane is maybe the deepest and most nuanced character in the show's history aside from Negan, even accounting for their total opposite position on the spectrum.

Some of the psychological nuances in this season to me are absolutely incredible by TWD standards. I mean... it's not like "There Will Be Blood" or anything like that, but it's thrilling stuff IMO.

You take the scene between Rick and Michonne in the aftermath and that's basically what many of us are still watching for and it's a direct nuanced development in the shadow of the Negan entity.

To me it's amazing shit. lol. It's all good if there's opposing opinions on the subject, but I think it's ****ing awesome and that's with the expectation that they need to pick up the action and move outside of the oppression aspect quicker.

9. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Killing Spencer was a bit of a token kill to show Rick that Negan do not like to see "rebels" and helped him out, but Rosita kinda escalated it and Negans men are ****ing idiots.

10. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Negan is the least complex character on the show. He does one thing. The Governor was a thousand times more complex.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chaos

Chaos Member

"The Aaron thing was abhorrent. Aaron is submissive and causing them no problems and just brought them a lot of goodies. Did you see how the two Savior's lightened up on Spencer? That's what they should have done to Aaron."

I saw the two as idiots trying to emulate the boss. The one guy was harping about Rick being late and making them wait for hours. Negan tends to punish by having the physical force unleashed on others to make the person misbehaving feel bad and maybe so others will demand compliance so they are not next. So, the buffons emulated that strategy. Of course no one was late for anything and the punishment for productivity was inconsistent with the Negan's practice. We can attribute that one to having dumb henchmen.

But then there was the ill advised Negan decision to have the henchwoman choose who to kill for punishment for Rosita. It isn't the eenee meenee minee moe situation where he doesn't know who is useful or not. He just killed a guy for attempting a coup against a productive leader. Then he'll let his sidekick kill just anyone? We would have to figure he was too upset at that point to think straight. He also said he might have chose someone else. Maybe he thought no one would care about Olivia so they wouldn't be phased but, it was a good choice following his philosophy of preserving utility. She was useless and he knew it.

#11 Chaos, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  12. Znuts

Znuts Member

This. Negan is so one dimensional that I can tell what he's going to do before he does it most of the time. Oppression, brutality, head games, kill someone, smile or laugh, rinse and repeat. I saw the Spencer kill coming before Spencer even got to Negan. The Governor was more of a wildcard in my opinion. You never knew if the Governor was going to show his compassionate side or his brutal side and to me was way more interesting than Negan has been so far.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

I agree, his killing both Olivia and Spencer was gone too far, he had everyone watching... The perfect opportunity to just scare the piss out of them, I thought for sure Spencer was going to get the iron (although I'm starting to think the 'iron' is reserved for 'cheaters') which that... Or just something other than senseless death...I even saw Haircut's departure as even Steven.

I am sure Spencer would have been more trouble later on too, but presently the whole problem with Negan is the whole problem.
    He really did not need to disembowel him, he pretty much had him dead to rights when he laid out what he thought Spencer was doing, Negan was spot onto Spencer's bullshit, just for example he could've mentally tormented and controlled Spencer with that for some time.

Absolutely, I can't get enough of the funny shit.
    It's when he goes way overboard that I'm like no dude...

I guess Negan's effectiveness stems from the fact he's so darned unpredictable, but I also see that as being his downfall.

The only part that still defies my sense of suspended disbelief is how has he managed to stay in power this long.

#13 8307c4, Dec 12, 2016
  14. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Here's what I saw in Episode 7 right after Carl shot up Negan's men, Negan says "dang I'm not going to have time to screw any of my wives today" (or something to that effect) and then he says "maybe ONE" and gives Dwight the 'wink.'
    I took that as Negan saying "maybe YOURS, maybe I'll do just sherry, maybe I will have time for THAT"

If you ask me the look on Dwight's face says everything, that is where Negan turned Dwight against him.
    It's a subtle shift but after Negan's words Dwight wasn't 100% aboard Negan's ship anymore.

I even believe it was Dwight who facilitated Daryl's escape (thou it really doesn't matter).

I think Negan's men behave in ways similar to the Governor's when the big man isn't around they play their own silly games of unjust and unhuman cruelty and torture. Not sure why but psychologically this is a common trait of henchmen, they too are unbelievably cruel and will go way overboard on their own. Oddly enough they behave when the 'boss' is around, almost like it's Negan's job to torture except when he's not there they are free to do so on their own...
    Not all henchmen do it, but if you ask me the more loyal ones do.
    Hitler's right hand men, Hussein's chemical Ali, I am sure there are more, all extremely cruel people when on their own.
    The claimers were another bunch prone to this sickness, the termites also, and the hospital goons.

That's it, henchmen emulating the boss.

#14 8307c4, Dec 12, 2016
  15. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Under what logic?

The Governor had two gears:

- Public facade/nicer side
    - Total unrestrained psycho

He ran a much smaller operation with much less nuance to his game. Negan's entire style of operating in how he subjugates people is 20x as complex as anything the Governor ever did.

The Governor reacts to people in a very uniform manner, depending on what state of mind he's in. Negan reacts to individuals entirely different and uses psychology customized to what tweaks that individual to oppress them.

Additionally his unpredictability adds to his complexity. The Governor was very predictable.

16. carrymejesus

carrymejesus New Member

I agree that he is nuanced. Without getting too psychoanalytic about it, his moral code makes me think he has huge daddy issues -- like a brutally beaten son. I don't read the comics, but if someone wants to answer that under a spoiler banner, I'd love to know if there's anything like that in his backstory.

He tests but spares Rick and Carl's relationship, like he wants to examine what people will do for each other, or turn out like, if they're raised right. And maybe that speaks to his curiosity about Daryl too -- seeing whether a strong man can maintain his humanity after sustained torture.

He's made, albeit creepy, paternal gestures toward Carl, and looked like he was genuinely enjoying holding Judith. And wasn't the suggestion that he was trying to impregnate Dwight's wife?

He won't kill women, but exacts vengeance with a she-bat. I wouldn't be surprised if "Lucille" was his moms name.

17. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Under the logic that it is my opinion. I do get to have one you know.

And Negan is the most predictable character on the show. Big smile, twirl the bat, threaten someone, belittle someone, torture someone, kill someone. Rinse, repeat. He has never done anything else. There is no nuance. There is no unpredictability.

18. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

He said he doesn't like to kill women not that he wouldn't.
    Pretty big distinction.

Lucille was not his Mothers name.

I found him the creepiest while Carl was serenading him and he was practicing his swing with Lucille,I think?

19. asdf

asdf Member

Do not let anyone outside of Negan's roost live. Take over Alexandria, preempt/thwart any uprising however futile. Stop with the man-crushes of Daryl, Rick, Coral, etc... Show consistency in your tyranny and punish any transgression with zero impunity.

He's an inconsistent blowhard mad with post apocalyptic power.

Keyser Soze eats him for brunch.

20. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I find the Governor more complicated than Negan. The only complexity of character that I see in Negan is his attraction to Carl and Judith.

#20 westwingnut, Dec 12, 2016