Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The home made bullet

Discussion in 'Episode 708 - Hearts Still Beating' started by Miamicuse, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

How would Negan know that the bullet was home made? and made by someone in ASZ?

Is it that obvious?

Why couldn't they say they found that bullet somewhere when they were scavenging? No one in the group "have had to make that bullet".

2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Probably for the plot point material to move the plot on and to get Eugene taken like in the comic.

3. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

The bullet casing had two firing pin indentations.

4. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Really? Do you have a screen-grab? because they would have to replace the primer (the part that the firing pin hits) during the reloading process. Of course, this is a show where Glocks have external safeties and hammers, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like this, but if so, good eye.

eta: nope.
    [​IMG]

#4 HondaS2kXD, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

He mentioned crimp markings. I don't know enough about making reloads, so I don't know if it's that easy to tell. The lack of a jacket would be my evidence.

But all that is ignoring some huge obstacles. Such as gun powder, and a primer. Not to mention she handed him a shell from a desert eagle, either a .357, .44, or .50 cal. And made him a 9mm.

6. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

The only realistic explanation is that Jesus was involved!

Nothing about this Ammo Factory storyline will be realistic in any way it seems from the story so far.
    I guess we just need to accept it in the end.

7. M3O

M3O Member

I would think that he was suspicious enough to look closely at the bullet because he was under the impression that he took all their guns and ammo.

8. HondaS2kXD

/\was just in the middle of typing this. Given the best will in the world and assuming it was a .357 deagle (a caliber I have never seen the gun in in person, but I know it exists) it "could," conceivably be crammed into a 9mm if they cut down the casing because (don't quote me because I don't remember the exact size) 9mm equates to something like 0.35."

That being said, I agree. This is what happens when a show that doesn't know anything about guns tries to act like it knows guns. Here is a screen grab of the casing before Negan picks it up:
    [​IMG]

You can kindasorta see some discoloration-- something I remember from when my dad used to reload. But he said crimping. And I don't see any crimping.

The lack of a jacket wouldn't be a telltale sign of a reload, though. Lots of cheap plain lead plinking/practice ammo. It's shit and not good for barrels, but it's out there.

9. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

I was kind of sitting there going, "wow, Negan knows his ballistics, how the hell did he know."

I know jackshit about them myself, other than the basics since I have fired a weapon before.

What about that "seam" that seems to be on the bullet casing? Would that have been a sign? I'm not familiar enough with shell casings to know if that's commonly seen or not.

10. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't worry about how Negan figured it was a reload, because there are much larger plot holes in the whole bullet thing anyway.

Like many of the other "plot holes" we just have to accept them for what they are.

11. HondaS2kXD

I did notice that. I think it's just a reflection. It seems to disappear as Negan picks it up.

12. RU3evil

RU3evil Member

I can't read the headstamp on the casing but the gun she used was a 45 acp. But yeah, the entire reloading storyline is a hot mess. And cast bullets generally don't feed worth a crap in semi autos/ autos. Lots of jams to clear. Rimless pistol cartridges are generally not crimped. Primer in ball ammo is swaged. The one in pic doesn't appear to have swage removed. A collet crimp would leave marks but this casing doesn't have them. And the primer and casing match for weathering. Not a shiny new primer (that would likely be nickel plated).

It would probably be possible to pop the anvil out of rifle/pistol primers, press the firing pin dent out and make new primer material. The anvil is held in with a light press fit and the primer material. I don't know what the chemical make up is. Black powder isn't too hard to make but smokeless is a different story. The best way to make it believable would be to have them find a stockpile of military powder/primers at one of the many bases. One powder would cover the common 9mm, 40, and 45 acp. One powder for 5.56 would cover most common ( 223/5.56, .308/7.62 nato, 7.62x39 (ak/sks),and several others. 50 bmg powder would shoot in most rifles. Slow burning so it won't build up too much pressure but would be low performance.This is how I'll pretend like it happened. Primers are only two physical diameters. Small rifle/small pistol and large rifle/large pistol. I think rifle primer are a couple thousandths deeper and the metal a little harder, but pistol primers will ignite in most rifles. Shotgun primers are completely different but all the same size and pistol powder could be interchangeable (I'd have to look up specs on what they are using)

With the machine shop at hand, a few people could make the casting molds and maybe swages.I would make swages to swage copper tubing from AC systems into bullet jackets. Let's say they scavenged some dies from somewhere, and scavenged and made some single stage presses, spent brass is everywhere for .223,.308,7.62x39 for rifle, 9mm, 40, and 45acp is everywhere for pistol. Assuming a found stockpile of powder and primers. A few people could load a couple thousand rounds a day after a couple weeks to get set up. Rifle would average about 200 rounds per pound of powder. Pistol would be 1000 or so per pound.The basic steps are deprime and resize,reprime,powder, press bullet. The bullet part would be a separate operation requiring 3-4 people to be productive.

We are talking about writers that couldn't find water in Virginia.

13. Wombat

Wombat Member

yep. he was admiring the crimping.
    Knowing Alexandria had promised that all guns & ammo were now in his procession... He was not impressed with this stray bullet.... But I'm guessing the fact he nearly had his head blown off with Lucielle deflecting the hit, made him curious to take a closer look at that bullet.

14. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

Like a Louisville Slugger is going to stop a 9 mm bullet...lol

15. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Wow,you really hit that one out of the park!

16. TDogResurrected

TDogResurrected Active Member

nope, primers only fire once.

17. HondaS2kXD

excellent post, one small correction though: the gun she used was a Beretta. Either a 92 or a 96. 9mm or .40. And the casing she picked up was from a Desert eagle which is only available in .50AE, .44, and .357. Since you seem to know more about reloading than anyone who has posted here yet, is there any conceivable way to make this work? Even in a half-assed way which would explain why the bullet flattened right on the surface of Lucille.

#17 HondaS2kXD, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  18. HondaS2kXD

To play devil's advocate, this part I think can be explained by the fact that they would've had to completely rework the casing for it to have any hope of functioning. As such, the odds of their first ever produced round behaving like a factory load is highly unlikely. So it could've not fit in the chamber properly and/or the bullet might not have been properly sized for the barrel, and other excuses which could lead to a lack of velocity.

19. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

Because Negan had just been in Rick's kitchen cooking spaghetti, when he saw a recipe for "homemade bullets"

20. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

First of all that hurt my feeling,just the one though.

Technically the .357 and 9mm projectile is the same diameter actually but the length is not the same and the casing is different in that the revolver casings have a flanged rim to hold them in the revolver cylinder where the Semi-Auto loads need no rim so they can eject and that cycle is what cocks and loads the gun thus the Semi-Auto description.
    They use Half-Moon clips to hold a 9mm cartridge in a 9mm revolver if you have ever seen one to get away with the fact that there is no real rim there.

So maybe you could shave the .357 casing down and make the edge perfectly smooth and round and then cut it down too as they are twice as long too as a 9mm case but only on a TV show about the Dead eating the Living probably.