Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What is the point of Father Gabriel's existence?

Discussion in 'Episode 708 - Hearts Still Beating' started by No.Pantaloons, Dec 13, 2016.

1. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

That really sums things up how I feel about him completely.

So you tell me what purpose does he serve? I dislike half the characters but at least I can see how most of them fit in. Not this guy.

2. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Some very thought provoking insights. And, for the most part (I'm looking at you, WWN), discussed in an adult manner.
    I happen to appreciate his level of acting. His method comes across like the actor that portrayed Father Mulcayhey(sp) in the MASH movie. Intentionally out of timing with the rest of the cast because he truly is completely out of step with those he ministers. Along the same lines: a combat chaplain, he has been forced to.......... reevaluate his spiritual tenets and apply them to the current situation.
    As far as him being the new Herschel, I can see that. Herschel, before we met him, wasn't the man we knew.

3. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

How has Seth Gilliam's acting been atrocious? It's quite a difficult character to portray and he's played ends of Father Gabriel's incarnation's to noteworthy audience reaction. When he was a cowardly weasel -- everyone wanted him to die. Now, most viewers are really enjoying all that he adds to the show and he's a very interesting character.

Here's what FG is currently adding to the group:

- He's now a rational anchor. I didn't say moral compass, since morality has become very blurred this late in the game, but since his transformation in S6, he has been a calm and rational thinker and exists as a guidance anchor for his community members that are troubled. IE - Rosita. Look at how well he handled that with her. Look at how well he addressed Spencer's situation. He's a pretty bright guy and good at reading situation's and because of that we've seen him become one of the rock's in the storm for the group.

- He has shown immense bravery and takes initiative for the group in a selfless way. IE - Protecting Judith and digging the fake Maggie grave to fool the Savior's.

We don't need a new Dale. Dale was a moron.

FG is an interesting addition.

4. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

There is a difference between a realist moral compass and a delusional idiot.

5. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Well judging by the change he's gone through, I'd say hes still a man of god and wants to be there for the people of Alexandria, because some of them have not lost their faith in god. So Gabriel serves as both a fighter and man of god. I'm not going to say hes the new moral compass, but he is someone who listens and offers advice like he did with Rosita.

6. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Well, that's because Dale was a retard. There's a difference between arguing for morality and simply being blind to reality. This is one of a grand total of one area I will agree with Shane: they should've left Randall's bitch ass on the fence.

Now, that being said, I agree that Gabriel is a voice for morality. Not in the "I will take the Buddhist pacifist do-no-harm side of all arguments" sort of way, but in the more logical, balanced sort of way. Dale and Hershel have been called moral compasses. But that compass doesn't point north. It points towards an iceberg. Some people are evil. Letting them continue to carry out evil acts while you have the power to stop them could be called a sin of inaction.

and re: seth's acting as Gabriel, I think it's great. He reminds me of every priest I've talked to or heard talk. (Aside from the tremendous shit line. But that was f*cking awesome)

7. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

How about clearing the Walker barn and Sophia and wising up to delusion? That's the area where Shane was dead right.

8. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I think the walker barn was a non-issue. Yes, it's not a thrilling concept sleeping a few hundred yards from it, but it wasn't like there was nearly enough of them inside to break out.

On Sophia, he was correct, but there was no way of knowing he was correct, so I would side with Rick in that they should keep looking as long as they can, within reason.

Waking up to delusion is very general. If I listed that I agree with that, I'd also have to list things like breathing, turning off the lights, and the Punisher being awesome.

9. RU3evil

RU3evil Member

I think that is exactly what he's supposed to be. What did Negan say? "Holy Shit! You are Creepy" I think it was.I think yours is a great description.

The dude locked his entire congregation out of the church and they all died. He tried to get Rick thrown out of ASZ based on his delusions and some more crap.He's got some serious skeletons in his closet. They have also shown his mental instability. Since he has redeemed himself I like the character. But he is still creepy as shit.

10. No.Pantaloons

Father Gabriel is not a complex multi layered character. Seriously, who can think that? It's not like you see him conflicted about his faith, morality and duty. At this point the priest collar is window dressing as he doesn't even seriously defer to religion in his thought process.

And his acting does suck. He speaks his lines like he's a fake priest on an SNL skit with a lame "holy" tone. To be honest, that fake ass tone is what annoys be the most about him. Others have noted in this thread that he comes off more as weird and creepy than anything else. I don't think that is what his character is supposed to go for.

ANYBODY can think with rationality. I don't see whatmakes him different. Also his 'wise" words with Rosita and Spencer really made them think twice.. Oh wait..

As a man of supposed faith, he should've at least shown some concern about murdering dozens of Saviors in the satellite station. All he says over and over again now like a broke record is "I believe in Rick..." I get why a lot of people didn't like Dale, but he was at least a second voice. If Gabriel is just going to agree with everything Rick does like pretty much everybody else in the group, then that's another superfluous feature.

11. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

This is the opposite of the truth.

12. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

That's because I'm the fun, happy jokester of this forum.

13. No.Pantaloons

Well ... CAN and DO are two separate things.

14. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

My point stands applied to CAN.

15. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Acting bad? His acting earlier made everyone abhore him. Now his acting has everyone loving him. If he wasnt acting well we'd never have such opposite and extreme emotions of him.