Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

what your favorite horror movies?

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by DonnyTWD, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

Thumbs up from me dude!

2. cpump

cpump Member

IT
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    Jason takes Manhatton
    Childs play
    30 days of Night
    Wes Cravens new Nightmare
    Hallloween 2
    The Devils Rejects
    Cabin In the Woods

#22 cpump, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

awesome list dude!

4. Emdier

Emdier Well-Known Member

1. Silence of the Lambs
    2. The Mist
    3. Cabin in the Woods

I don't usually watch anything slasher so it really takes my choices down, and most "horror" movies I only watch once and then never again. These are ones I can see multiple times. I would include Zombieland but that isn't horror in my books. Those are the ones I can think of for now...

5. joshred4

joshred4 Member

The Halloweens
    Incidious 1 and 2
    The Conjuring
    The Wrong Turn Series
    Paranormal Activity (JUST the first one!)
    V/H/S 1 and 2

6. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

silence of the lambs is. a.m.a.zing!Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins are as good as it gets in cop/killer duo.

7. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

haha agree with you on the first paranormal activity...it's too overrated now,I mean number 5 is coming out already?

8. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

I like old classics all the way up to modern. A few off the top of my head I really love:

The Haunting (1963) remake sucked.
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) the one with Donald Sutherland
    Frankenstein (good old classic)
    The Shining
    The Exorcist
    The Entity
    Alien franchise
    Night of the Living Dead, the original but the remake was good too.
    Love the old Vincent Price movies esp the Edgar Allen Poe stories
    Also love the cheesy Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing Vampire flicks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zombies101

Zombies101 Member

The Shining, The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead, Rosemary's Baby, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Blair Witch Project.

10. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

My TOP 5 favourite horror movies (all subgenres of horror):

1. "Nosferatu the Vampyre" (Expressionist Horror) from Germany, both 1922 Murnau's original and 1979 Herzog's remake. In my mind, I cannot separate these two movies, I do however prefer the remake (the only movie I can honestly say this). It's haunting, deep, beautiful and that intro gave me nightmares. Count Orlok is the vampire I love and I most identify to, specially in Herzog's version you can feel his agony not to adapt in a diferent "modern" world that is 19th century Germany. The ode to the plague, to live to your maximum because you're going to die anyway, made one of the most wonderful scenes in the world cinema. Isabelle Adjani is the beauty personified in humanity. Fantastic movie!

2. "Kwaidan" (Expressionist Horror) from Japan, 1964. I absolutely adore all four stories, but I always had a fascination for the first tale, "the Dark Hair", whose ending is so creepy and so beautiful scary making a fantastic use of sounds and coreography. We no longer have such sophisticated horror like this in our current times. This movie as a whole is a masterpiece, it's like a painting in the form of real-life pictures. My favourite scene is in the third tale, "Hochi, the Earless", when the monks, along with the sound of their prays, paint all Hochi's body with kanji so that the ghost warrior cannot see him and take his life, even though that would eventually set his fate by the end of the story. I own the original 3-hour version of this movie in DVD and I love it, best buy of my life!

3. "El Laberinto del Fauno" (Dark Fantasy) from Spain, 2006. I love all del Toro's horror movies and I definately think he has a good taste for the genre, he simply has tha sensitivity that I love which makes his movies go beyond the horror and you can learnt the morality he wants to emphazise in the story. This movie is no exception. I do not consider it a "horror movie" per se, but since dark fantasy is indeed a subgenre, I'll put it here. My favourite scene still is the ending up to this day. The fact that the girl imagined all that nightmarish world in order to survive in a reality she couldn't handle anymore made it all such much better. This is cinema at its finest. Beautiful.

4. "The Phantom of the Opera" (Silent Horror), from USA. I love 1920's horror movies since I feel at that time they had to express their emotions in a manner that was so much scarier due to the lack of sound that made these movies mucg more refined in terms of horror to me. Depending on the version you're watching this on that is... The un-masking scenes remains, in my opinion, as one of the scariest of the cinema, Lon Chaney - my favourite actor of all time - is a genius and he knew how to express the unnatural horror of his character. This is the Phantom at his finest and not musical crap. Love this movie!

5. "Let the Right One In" (Drama/Horror) from Sweden, 2008. This movie is BEAUTIFUL. That's the word to describe this. It's bloody, creepy and disgusting sometimes, but I simply view this movie as a wonderful love story between a boy who fell in love with a castrated vampire and tried everything to protect her/him. There's just something peculiar about this story that touched me at the time and quite honestly I couldn't feel any empathy for the bullies who were killed at the end. The ending is simply marvelous.

There are others that I really like such as "Frankestein", "El Orfanato", "Ring" (Japanese original) and so on, even though last year I really enjoyed "Cabin in the Woods"...

#30 Voncroy, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  11. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, I can get plenty of laughs out of newer ones, as well. I honestly was questioning whether or not Paranormal Activity was meant to be a comedy. And all those Japanese influenced films with the pale Asian kids with hair over their faces? Yeah....there's like a hundred of those and they're all so shitty they're funny.

The Day of the Dead remake is also one of the funniest films I've seen in recent memory. I can honestly sit down and laugh through that movie like it's an episode of MST3K...

12. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

I love Blair Witch Project!

13. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I agree that Paranormal Activity has some chuckle worthy moments in it. The Japanese style films like The Ring I don't even watch, and the Day remake is a movie I wish I'd never seen.

14. Zombies101

Zombies101 Member

I just watched it last night. When it first came out I thought it sucked, it took years for it to scare me!

15. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

It was the original I guess in the ''Live Camera'' genre.Still beats most horrors today

16. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

Blair Witch Project was one of the worst horror movies ever I think. I was so pumped to see this when it first came out after watching the "History Channel Special" ... lol ... which was way scarier than the movie was. I kept waiting for something scary to happen, oh they found a pile of rocks and some stick figures hanging in a tree....uh ok. My bro-in-law leans over "when is this gonna get scary." My sister whispers, I hope they kill that girl first, she's so annoying. I agree Heather Donahue was super annoying in this movie.

Then they were hearing things in the woods, at first I couldn't hear what they were hearing, I was like uh what? Then some kids laughing....ok, that was creepy, then something scratch the tent, that was getting better. Then it just got dumb and stupid again.

At the very end when they find that house...it started to get scary then whammo it was over. This move so sucked. I have to say they haven't come out with a really good scary movie in a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

It wasn't though. The oldest I can think of is "Cannibal Holocaust" which is an exploitation horror movie from 1980, which inspired the "found footage" scene that would become popular much later in late 90's and 2000's, including "Blair Witch Project".

I am not a fan of "Blair Witch Project" I'm afraid. I like it, but the ending is meh... It's a good movie, but I wouldn't add it to me colection. "REC" is far, far, FREAKING FAR SUPERIOR in every single way. Opinion only of course :)

#37 Voncroy, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  18. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

REC is epic indeed

19. Miami Vice

Miami Vice New Member

Damn this is hard...

1. Dawn of the Dead (either the original or the remake, I love them both)
    2. Jaws (original only, all others suck)
    3. The Thing (original 1982 with Kurt Russell!)

20. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

Have you watched "Noroi"? I liked it too. If you like Blair Witch Project, then it's a movie you'll appreaciate. It's story-driven too.