Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Z Nation

Discussion in 'Horror TV Shows' started by and138, Jul 31, 2014.

1. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Member

i wish syfy just kinda stop.

2. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Considering the huge ratings for the real housewives franchise, wasting an hour on zombies is completely acceptable..

3. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

This was so lame..

It's the zombie equivalent of shardnado..

4. hotspur41

hotspur41 Member

Yep. I had that same thought last night. A Friday night Z show is a Friday night Z show. Like pizza. Even bad pizza is still pizza. Unless you put tuna, corn, and mayo on it, as I have had to explain to my Japanese in-laws on occasion.

5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Succumbed to the pressure and watched the episode. I went into this knowing not to expect anything more than bad acting and a high cheese factor. I was not proven wrong. Yet, there was this small part of me that was hoping that it would be something a bit more than that - maybe I would care for a character or two. Alas, that did not happen. Do not care about any one character. Silly me for thinking that, like TWD, I would instantly feel a connection. This just made me long for October 12 even more than before.

And now anger has set in, because I will probably watch this crap again. I feel like a guilty, dirty adulteress!!

6. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

I actually like a couple of their shows. just not this one

7. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

I refuse to watch this based off of what I've heard about this. I have never like anything that i've watched from SyFy.

8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm already so pissed at this show for killing off my favourite character! :zombies_mad: :zombies_lol:

Zomibes aren't good drivers, though, that's why the bus crashed. ;) That gang of fast zombie kids seriously creeped me out, not gonna lie.

How does that girl keep that shade of red in her hair 3 years into the ZA? Red dye fades out of my hair after 2 weeks or so! So envious...

I predict the mysterious sniper dude will be the guy we see as a potential love interest for someone, because look at his smoldering expression and his perfectly tousled hair.

[​IMG]

9. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Citizen Z is at an National Security Agency listening post in the Arctic, so I think he must have a generator and tons of supplies there, enough to sustain a team of people for a while, in case of a global disaster. At the beginning of the show, we saw everyone else evacuate the station (but I missed why), and then their plane crashed. So he has all the supplies to himself now.

I think at this point it's 3 years into the ZA. Some text ran across the bottom of the screen with the date a few times. At the beginning of the show, it was "2 Z.A.," which I took as meaning 2 years into the apocalypse, because the survivors have now moved on to a new calendar era: B.C.E. (B.C.), C.E. (A.D.), Z.A. And the when Hammond and Murphy found the group, it was a year later. Of course, it was quite late and I wasn't entirely sober as I was watching, so I could have that wrong. I'd have to watch it again.

Speaking of Citizen Z, here's my crackpot theory. :p When he was video chatting with his girlfriend, he said that he wanted to go home to see her but his superiors won't give him the time off, he asked about their dog, and he didn't mention zombies at all. And then when he heard a voice on the radio, he abruptly paused her. None of that made sense. He doesn't have any immediate superiors any more to stop him from going anywhere, and there's no way he can go home to see her because he no longer has a plane. I think he's replaying old conversations he had with her and talking to himself because he's been stuck there for so long on his own that he's starting to lose the plot.

10. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

Don't you think most if not all of the supplies would have been on the plane when they were evacuating the base? Citizen Z doesn't seem like the kind of guy to go out there and scavenge the wreckage, but idk.

Also I'm pretty sure that was a saved recording of his girlfriend.

11. TexinOhio

TexinOhio Member

Other than DJ Qualls (sp?) the show was ok to me. I'll keep watching it like a zombie comedy.

12. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was definitely thinking that the girlfriend thing was a recording. It just seems crazy that after many years he can still communicate all over the country so well

#52 bula412, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  13. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Running zombies. No. Zombie baby. Dumb as shit. Cure. F*ck that. Z Nation needs to be shot in the head.

14. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I don't mind running zombies, I think its a nice mix-up from the zombies we are used to, but this show is in dire need of some help. The first half of the episode I thought it might end up being just barely passable....then things went downhill from there..

15. Deseoso

Deseoso New Member

I have been missing The Walking Dead so when I saw that Z Nation was coming out I was really looking forward to it. Now that I have seen it I have to say that The Walking Dead still had zero competition. What a complete disappointment.

To me it feels like SyFy channel are just trying to jump on the zombie bandwagon and cash in on what they thought would be easy money but they didn't bother to properly look at other zombie shows and films to lay some initial realism ground rules.

Problems I had with Z Nation: (SPOILER ALERT Do not read further if you haven't seen the pilot episode.)

1. Not even a small amount of background story given on any characters within the show.

2. In the pilot episode they start 3 years after the outbreak and still the survivors make stupid decisions. For example, a single lone zombie attacks the group. Most of them are carrying melee weapons yet no one says anything when the guy with the pistol wastes ammo and makes noise blowing its head off from point blank range.

3. The Baby!!!! WTF!!! If I was giving this show a score out of ten then the baby alone drops the shows score by four points. Firstly, the baby is too young to have teeth. No teeth, no biting. Secondly the baby looks to young to crawl so how come once it turns it becomes the zippy little ninja zombie baby from hell. The baby alone has destroyed the show for me.

4. The scene when the group shoots Hammond while he is being chomped on by the female zombie and the baby. There are only 2 zombies in the scene and one is a baby and yet the entire group must pump at least 50 rounds into them all and most of the shots are body shots. And these people are supposed to have survived for 3 years??

Of course zombie shows are fiction but within any genre of fiction you have to stick to certain rules in order to keep the scene realistic to the fictional world that has been created. Z Nation has done it so poorly that I'm not sure I will watch episode 2.

The only thing they have brought to the table which is new is the guy who is immune. That is something I haven't seen before and could make for some interesting storyline situations if the rest of the show hadn't been so awful. I was hoping that The Walking Dead would have had one immune character.

#55 Deseoso, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  16. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Those are all great points, especially the baby. The waste of ammo was totally ridiculous.

17. rabscuttle1

I'm okay with running zombies in comedies and living zombie flicks like 28 days, although I don't really consider them zombies. But something that's dead shouldn't have the dexterity to run. Although, House of the Dead did have an interesting take on it. Only fresh zombies could run and the longer the were around the slower they got. I didn't completely hate that idea.

18. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

You nailed it!

19. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose most dead things don't have the dexterity to walk and eat either. But I see what you're saying, and mostly agree. I don't think i'd want my zombies running as fast as the infected in 28 Days Later, but a little faster than TWD zombies would be okay to change up the mix.

20. rabscuttle1

I was cool with how fast the zombies could move in the first season. Don't really want zombies quicker than that.