Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

[701] The day has come to RATE the silly goose!!

Discussion in 'Episode 701 - The Day Will Come When You Won't Be' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 19, 2016.

?

Rate it or face the consequences.

1. 10

46 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. 9

30 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. 8

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. 7

13 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. 6

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Meh, another day, come and gone.

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. 4

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  10. I'm sorry this day ever came!!

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. page

page Well-Known Member

Fixed

2. MooreUpp

MooreUpp New Member

Gave it a 4. That might be too low, but I was comparing it the rest of the Walking Dead while rating. It was the most intense episode ever, but not enjoyable to me. I get why it was here, but I probably will never watch it again after this week and that isn't true of most other episodes.

3. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

10/10. It was brutal. It was painful. It made me angry, it made me sad, and at the end it inspired me because they all came together and I knew that they weren't going to let this be their end. In my opinion, this is one of the best episodes in the series. Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan is perfect. He is incredibly in that role...and I absolutely despise his character, which is exactly how it should be. This season is chalking up to one of the best yet, and I can't wait to see it unfold. After a very lackluster season of Fear the Walking Dead, this was a wonderfully invigorating breath of fresh air.

My only real criticism is that I still think the cliffhanger was a bad move in terms of audience engagement. The emotional impact of the death was kind of robbed from us by making us wait for so long. I appreciate what they were going for, but it really didn't work for me. I do think that they made up for this by doing an adequate job of building the tension back up in the beginning. I think it would have been best to have given us Abe's death in the season finale, and then completely blown us away with Glenn's death in the season 7 opener. I felt like the hypothetical 'everyone gets Lucilled' scenes were rather unnecessary, but I don't think they really took away from the overall quality of the episode.

#63 QuantumCurt, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger New Member

I gave the episode a 6- that's just how I felt about it all the way through. I'm not sure if it's because I was expecting something extraordinary after the long wait, but it didn't fully meet my expectations.

I liked it well enough, I really enjoyed JDM, and thought Rick played his part incredibly well, along with Maggie. On the other hand, I thought it was too slow. The RV ride made little sense, and it seemed like there was far too much filler.

I guess I wanted some further resolution (besides the death(s) after the long wait. I get that the point of the episode was to leave everyone with zero hope, total defeat- it accomplished that.

It was good, just not amazing. It's still one of my favorite shows, but this episode wasn't by any means the best. The only episode that ever disturbed me was the Terminus slaughterhouse episode with the baseball bats and the throat slitting over the sinks. Carole saving the day was totally satisfying- that was amazing writing.

Still looking forward to the rest of the season, and next season, and the season after...

5. Mockingbird

Mockingbird New Member

I gave it an 8. The flashback scenes went by in a flash and so seemed out of place. The RV trip was a little over the top and unnecessary but I do see the lesson Negan was "teaching" to Rick. Overall though the entire cast did a fantastic job in playing what had to be a gut wrenching scene, so bravo to them all. These deaths were necessary to drive the story forward, they simply had to happen. Besides, when a show always sees the core group survive the most dire of situations it risks stagnating/becoming predictable. I thought that Glenn had been spared so many times in the past that if they did so again, it would have been a huge disserve to the fans and to the show itself, so well done.

6. chabadoo

chabadoo New Member

Exactly. I don't care about the actor as much as you do, but to take two main characters within minutes does not make sense to me.

Abrahams development was complete. There was no immanent need to continue his story. But with Glen its different. Maggie still is pregnant and it would have been a totally different story with Glen being present. All speculations Maggies child might be born dead (as a walker) is not half as fun without Glen, so I think this will not happen anymore.

7. LolaDemented

LolaDemented Active Member

Gave it a10. Brutal yet awesome.

8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Actually Negan's introduction was done much better in the comics. We only had the Glenn death there too and not all the other stuff they added like the RV road trip, Abe etc.

9. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

The episode was dialogue heavy, and in all actuality could've been done 20 minutes. But, Glenn's death made up for that and earned it a 7.

10. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

Voted. I gave it a 10, and would have gone higher had the option been there. Personally, I found the graphic scenes incredibly hard to take, but as the episode played out I found myself: experiencing an intense "I hate this...hate seeing the characters killed this way"; feeling an intense hatred toward Negan (and in absolute awe of Jeffrey Dean Morgan's ability to portray such evil in such a powerful way); sharing Rick's emotional horrors (actually, found myself sharing all of the characters' emotional horrors); found myself feeling torn up over what appeared to be Darryl's breakdown when he was being dragged away to the truck...since he seemed to be the one character who could not be broken.

This episode (to me) was an incredible powerhouse of displaying human frailties - and spirit - during a time of unspeakable horror. The graphic scenes, as I mentioned, were very hard for me to take (so much so that I wonder if I will make it through the rest of the series, if more of the same type of horrors are to come) but on a human level...I think the writers nailed it. Negan was evil personified. Rick was the indomitable leader who faltered, and fell. Carl displayed his father's invincible spirit. We saw Daryl's hardcore defiance - and ultimate breakdown. Abraham was true to his character, standing up to Negan even when he was being killed. Glenn - ditto; his love for Maggie could not be broken. We witnessed the birth of Maggie's true inner warrior. And overall, the group now sees that the world has changed. It is a gruesome, bloodthirsty, barely survivable world, filled with monsters far worse than anything they could have imagined. Extremely well done.

11. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

i gave it a 10. i think this episode was very well done. so much so that a few of the people i was watching the show with became emotional at the deaths (and especially the Sunday dinner scene) of some of our beloved characters. When a fantasy show can cause a viewer to become emotionally involved, it has done a great job.

12. BlackLightning

Oh, I could not disagree more.

All of the cursing and goofy smiles are way too cartoony.

13. Last_Dog

Last_Dog New Member

Did anyone else notice Negan (NEw paGAN) was elevating himself to GOD status by Demanding that that Rick raise a blade to his son, the parallel being Abraham and his son Issac. Then the merciful last second reprieve, amazing writing.

14. saint_octopus

saint_octopus New Member

I give it a 8-9. Not 10 because... why did it have to be Abe? He was definitely one of the most interesting, "alive" characters, the one with charisma and sense of humor. And that plot line with him falling in love with Sasha was really touching. RIP Portos of TWD. Just like your Dumas' prototype you enjoyed the world, no matter how sick and sad it was

PS Excuse my possible "non-native" mistakes.

15. Monster Voices

Can I please give it 11/10 ?? It was flawless!

16. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

MotherF*ckin' perfection.

17. HurricaneKid

HurricaneKid Member

Rick being broken is the only explanation why he is still alive. So it was a necessity.

But having characters we have grown up with go against their character to advance the plotlines is the very definition of lazy writing. And Darryl's childish outburst was completely out of his character.

And Abe's death is exactly what I am talking about. If you are going to kill off Glenn (and they really did need to), why would you crater his loss by having it be an afterthought? Why not show Abe dying in the season finale then kill off Glenn in the premiere?

18. TDogResurrected

TDogResurrected Active Member

7, the cliff hanger that never ended was weak writing.

19. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

Negan and his speeches bore me to tears always followed by a laugh lean back a little sideways then look at you up real close. When Glenn died 40% of my interest in the show died. I just watched the last two episodes and they were much better.

20. cycles

cycles Member

Is anybody else just getting to see this season now, like me? A series of unfortunate events prevented me from watching TWD until the marathon airing.

9/10. The episode was effective but too intense for me. The violence, the physical and psychological cruelty, the anger, the sadness - it was powerful and moving. It was so painful to watch that I won't watch this one again.