Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Eugene... moving forward

Discussion in 'Ep. 716 - The First Day of the Rest of Your Life' started by carolsubmissive, Apr 5, 2017.

1. carolsubmissive

carolsubmissive Active Member

How in the hell are they going to resurrect his character now?

Are they going to continue down the saviour path with him?

Seeing as though Dwight is going to act as the ASZ secret agent and Eugene has already committed to Negan as well as assisting in Sasha's death and alienated Rosita/the rest of Ricks group

2. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

Eugene.. I don't want to see his face ever again. When Negan asked how Sasha died, I thought Eugene would get Lucilled.. Unfortunately he didn't. He is a rat. I hope he will die in one of the first episodes next season. By Enid or something. Somebody at least half his size. So he goes down like he lived.. as a coward.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

I give Eugene credit. He was blatantly honest with Sasha...he admitted that he was terrified and that his actions were a direct result of his fears. His giving her the pill was because he truly cared about her, and he believed that she was suffering emotionally, and she was genuinely terrified that Negan's use of her would result in more deaths within Rick's group. That act alone (Eugene providing her with the pill) showed that even though he has a cowardly nature, he was still willing to take a risk to help someone. And when Negan questioned him about Sasha's death, Eugene came very close to being found out. Don't forget too, he openly admitted to Negan - whilst almost wetting his geeky pants - that he was the one who made the bullet for Rosita. That too, almost cost him his life.

I also still think that Eugene will be integral to Rick's group ultimately defeating Negan. He will probably remain a part of the Saviours for most of season 8, and will be portrayed as a traitor. But in fact, Eugene is being Eugene, and he's been honest about his nature to those in his former group. He also carries, I think, tremendous guilt over his lack of being strong...rewatch the scene where he interacts with two of Negan's women, when they are begging him to help their friend kill herself. They say to him, "you are a good man" and he hesitates, looks incredibly torn, and then admits that he is not good. He's judging himself based upon comparisons to the Ricks and Michonnes and Maggies of the world...he doesn't have their strength, and he breaks under extreme pressure. He recognizes this and most likely hates himself for it.

Thing is, if this were real life, a great many of us would be Eugenes. It's easy to sit back and say "I would fight", "I wouldn't be a coward"...but given the indescribably intense and terrifying things that these people face, in real life how many of us would be able to step up and face a Negan? I highly suspect that very few would.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

i really feel that Eugene has some grand plan that we are not made aware of yet. perhaps he shows them how to manufacture the bullets - only then don't work as intended and are all duds? something along those lines.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. calliope

calliope Active Member

Great assessment of Eugene's character and the situation that he is in. I agree that there are far more Eugenes and Lori types among us than there are Ricks and Michonnes.

I was holding out hope for a grand plan on his part as well, but I think the situation is as he stated it to Sasha. He is a coward and has seen this path, at least for now, as the one most likely to insure his survival.

I do suspect that there will be a redemption arc in there somewhere for Eugene. Negan is bound to get more and more unstable as the war progresses and things don't always go as he plans. I think in the end Eugene will make a grand gesture which will help save TF and probably lead to his own end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Znuts

Znuts Member

I think the writers are pushing hard for us to believe that Eugene has turned to Negan. I think he is just trying to survive, but when the opportunity strikes during AOW, Eugene will show his hand and help bring down the Saviors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this, and I always am making the point too that its easy for us to judge and say what we would or wouldn't do, while we sit in our cushy recliner chairs on our phones and laptops, watching our 60 inch televisions while sipping wine and frowning when our Angry Birds app freezes up.

Yes, its very true that many people would react much like Eugene is doing. Maybe most people. He is now under the thumb of a man who he knows is prone to bash people's heads in with bats, burn their faces with irons, and throw their bodies into furnaces, when he doesn't get his way. And now he is forced to live under that man's close inspection.

Eugene is being Eugene. Again. But yeah, I think he will eventually redeem himself. At some critical moment, he will do something that foils a plan of Negan's. I hope it doesn't cost him his life, because I'd love to see him live on past All Out War, when he really starts to fulfill his potential. But it might.

#7 Neuropyramidal, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

It'll be pretty awkward for him to rejoin the group again, knowing that Rick gave the order to go ahead and blow him up, and Rosita pressed the button.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

True, there will be some awkward conversations there. But if Michonne can end up as Rick's lover after he enacted a plan to have her kidnapped and handed over to the governor, knowing full well he was probably going to kill and/or torture her, I think things can probably be smoothed over with Eugene. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. mmmbert

mmmbert Active Member

In my opinion, if it ends up that Eugene has had some underlying secret, genius plan that he unveils at the end, that would be about as realistic as the group secretly learning Morse Code to communicate with eye blinks in case of emergency.

To me, the most realistic thing is that Eugene was taken by Negan without resistance from a cowed and cowering Rick. That is the last thing he saw. It makes sense that he would see where his bread is buttered based on the information he has. Based on all he knew, Negan was going to bash in someone's head and Alexandria would remain even more under Negan's thumb so he is choosing the best option for him. Not especially noble, but realistic.

In my opinion as well, a person like Eugene also would have a conscience and could decide when the time for the choice comes could not sell out his old group that did so much for him, which is what I think will happen.

This is all coming from someone that didn't watch any episodes concerning Eugene, Sasha, or Abraham prior to the end of season 5, so I don't have that much of a feel for the characters, just what seems to me to be human nature.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. carolsubmissive

carolsubmissive Active Member

I totally get that it's realistic but from a viewers POV I can't really think of a way that you could integrate him back into the group with ease.

It's like all of his assets/storylines in the comic have been scrapped and we'releft with a shell of a man that changes sides whenever someone gets the upper hand.

I mean he negotiated with Rick to surrender knowing full well that Carl could get Lucille.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think he is absolutely being set up to have a heroic moment. All his talk about fear and his inability to face it. I think they are setting up a moment where he faces his fear and does something heroic to turn the tide, or help Rick in some massive way.

I imagine his loyalties will be tested when Dwight reveals his turn to Eugene. He will be faced with a choice to tell Negan about Dwight and win favor, or side with Dwight and go back to team Rick.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

I still think Eugene is working as an "insider" and has a plan to learn everything possible about Negan, the Saviors, and the Sanctuary layout -- and then devise a way to help bring it down from the inside.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Even if Eugene only had the memory of Rick cowering, he knows better now. Now he knows Rick is back to full warrior, and he knows Alexandria has an ally. I'm betting Eugene will come back in a blazing act of intelligence and fearlessness.

he was willing to betray them. they were willing to blow him up. it kind of evens out. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

I hope Eugene never redeems himself before he rejoins. It'll make for an interesting dynamic how he interacts with everyone.

16. Negan-Loyalist

Negan-Loyalist New Member

You are the coward, Not Eugene.

Eugene is a smart person who made a smart decision to live with a stronger group who actually respect him.

But if you were him, you would continue kissing rosita's ass and be and insignificant, and disprescted individual at Rick's team, and never dream of moving up.

All Hail Negan, I am Negan

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Negan-Loyalist

Negan-Loyalist New Member

what's wrong with all of you? Not able to face reality? whimps!

Eugene is Negan ! Eugene has power and respect now and will NOT go back to being Rosita's bitch.

If anything Rosita deserve to be Simon's first wife.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Now I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket when it comes to all of the nuances of dissecting character's motives, but I want to believe that the group knows what's up with Eugene to some degree. Sure, Rick looked surprised when he saw Eugene willingly following orders and I think Sasha and Rosita were too when they encountered him.

But if the group were to have a 'group discussion' about what the hell is going on with Eugene, they would eventually come to a consensus on his nature and that he is doing this because it is the only way he is able to survive. I'm not saying he deserves a pass though. I'm just saying that they should know enough about him to figure out what his ultimate motive is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I have also been curious if Eugene will change his tune a little now that he knows the Kingdom, Hilltop and Alexandria are working together...when he was taken, everyone was still very much under Negan's absolute control.

20. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Yea, but Rick and Rosita were willing, and tried, to blow him up.